‹ Prequel: Blurred Horizons
Status: Complete! <3

Rising Shadows

Chapter Fourteen

Emily went to her lab before heading to Luke's tavern to speak with Catarina. She had to make sure the woman cooperated; she was Percy's best chance of getting out of prison before Gregory got his hands on any evidence against him. She opened her hidden safe and removed a small vial filled with clear liquid. After injecting some of it into a syringe, she returned the vial to the safe and slipped the syringe carefully into her small hand bag. It occurred to her as she left the lab and hailed a hansom cab to take her to Luke's tavern that she probably should have felt guilty for using her inventions against the poor girl. It was understandable why she'd be so angry with Percy, after all.

But Emily didn't feel even a flicker of hesitation or guilt. All that mattered to her in that moment was saving Percy. She would find a way to make all this worthwhile for Catarina later. She paid the driver and strode into the pub as if she belonged there, even though she stood out like a sore thumb. Luke was tending bar and grimaced slightly at her approach.

"What room is she in?" Emily asked.

"Emily I don't want anyone murdered in my tavern," he muttered.

"I'm not going to murder her," Emily protested. "That would completely defeat the purpose of bringing her here."

Luke sighed. "You just have a look in your eye. Play nice. Go up the stairs, third door on the left."

Emily hustled up the stairs and knocked on Catarina's door.

"Go away!" Catarina called irritably. Huffing, Emily removed a pin from her hair and picked the lock. Catarina looked startled to see her when the door swung open.

"I'm not leaving until you've agreed to help Percy."

"You dragged me here after accusing me of being a thief."

"It got you away from the circus, didn't it? And don't tell me you've never pick pocketed," Emily shot back. She closed the door and moved to sit on the edge of the bed. Catarina stood watching her with a stony glare.

"This really doesn't need to be difficult," Emily said.

"It's not. I'm not helping that awful man. Now get out of my room."

Emily stood and headed toward the door. She pulled the syringe from her purse after she had passed Catarina, then spun sharply on her heel and jabbed the needle into Catarina's arm. The woman shrieked as the plunger injected her with the liquid. She made a move like she was going to slap Emily but her arm fell limply back to her side.

"Your best sit down," Emily said, pushing her to the chair in the corner. Catarina crumpled into it, blue eyes blazing furiously.

"It's just a temporary paralytic serum. You'll be good as new in no time. Now then, let's try this again shall we?" Emily put her hands in her hips and stared Cat down. "Percy told me what he did. I'm not going to say it was right, because it wasn't. But you can't really want to condemn him to the noose for it. Besides, I've spoken with him and he's agreed to apologize."

If Catarina could move her mouth just then Emily imagined all sorts of inappropriate names would be hurled at her.

"He'll give you the heartfelt apology that he owes you, and in exchange you will tell the commissioner of Scotland Yard that he did, in fact, join the circus with you instead of enlisting into a pirate crew. And to truly make it worth your trouble, I'll get you out of your contract with MacDuff."

Some of the searing rage went out of Catarina's eyes at that. She looked suspicious and surprised, but there was a tiny glimmer of hopeful interest too.

"You see, it so happens that I'm an inventor," Emily went on. "I've made things for some very important people. And I've made a lot of connections. I can pull some strings and see to it that you never need to return to that circus again. If you choose to not help Percy, then I'll ship you straight back there fast as you can blink. So you go on and mull that over while we wait for the serum to wear off. I am sorry to have to resort to such tactics, but you really are as difficult as Percy says and I needed you to shut up and listen."

Emily waited patiently for the effects of the serum to wear off, enduring Catarina's Arctic stare with an innocent smile.

"Fine," Catarina croaked as her jaw regained mobility. "I'll go save your stupid fiancée. But you better hold up your end of the bargain and make sure Percy holds up his too."

"Of course. Also, don't try to stand up too quickly. The serum tends to cause dizziness and a bit of nausea-"

Catarina staggered into the small bathroom and retched.

"Well I can see you're a tad busy, so I'll just be on my way. I'll see you first thing in the morning at the police station," Emily called cheerfully. She swept out of the room and back downstairs, throwing Luke a bright, triumphant smile as she passed.

.::.::.::.

"Will you quit pacing like that? You're making me nervous."

"How do you expect me to hold still at a time like this, Lucas? Catarina is in there with the commissioner and I have to trust that she'll be sincere and convincing enough to save Percy's life."

"I'm sure she knows you'll inflict some other kind of hell on her if she doesn't," Luke muttered. Emily smiled, feeling oddly proud of herself. The front door of the police station banged open and Finnigan came charging inside.

"Have you any word yet?" he asked breathlessly.

"We're still waiting." Emily rolled her eyes. "Honestly Finn, you'd think Percy was your fiancé instead of mine, the way you're carrying on."

Luke snickered as Finn's ears turned bright red. The door to the commissioner's office opened and they all jumped. Emily held her breath.

"Well I suppose it does seem everything is in order." Commissioner Archibald Hammond was a tall, thin man with gray hair that he was beginning to lose. But his blue eyes were still sharp and his deep voice always rang with authority.

"Oh yes, I can assure you these rumors about Percival Everett being a pirate and marauder are completely false," Catarina said. "There isn't a single pirate-like bone in the man's body."

Emily had to refrain from smiling at that. Percy had been every inch the intimidating and fearsome pirate when Emily first met him. But not all his bones were pirate-like.

"Good news, Miss Weldon," Commissioner Hammond said, smiling her way. "It seems your fiance's name has been cleared."

Abandoning decorum, Emily flung her arms around the man and hugged him. Finn hissed her name and Luke coughed to hide a chuckle.

"Thank you!" Emily gasped.

"I've already sent a constable down to fetch him. I must say, I was shocked and none too pleased to hear we had brought in the future son-in-law of Bartimus Weldon on charges of piracy. Detective Morley is the one who insisted upon the arrest, due to some information he received anonymously. Hmph. Clearly this source was most unreliable. I'll be sure to give him a proper berating later for this embarrassment. As if we don't have enough problems right now. Ah, here comes your Mr. Everett now, my dear."

Emily's breath hitched at the sight of Percy coming up the hall, free of shackles. She wanted to throw herself at him then and there but maintained her composure in front of the commissioner.

"Terribly sorry for this mistake," Hammond said, giving Percy a firm handshake. "Now off with you! There's a wedding to plan and you've wasted quite enough time here with this nonsense."

Emily thanked him again and ushered everyone else out of the station. Once they were outside and out of view of anyone inside, Emily seized the front of Percy's shirt and yanked him down into a kiss. Luke had to clear his throat four times before she remembered he, Finn, and Catarina were still standing there. Luke looked resigned to their behavior while Finn looked embarrassed and stared awkwardly anywhere but at the two of them. Catarina stood with her arms folded, her expression a strange mix of deep annoyance and something akin to wonderment. Clearly any doubts she had had about Percy and Emily being engaged were put to rest.

"You two can continue this most disgusting display of affection later," she said tersely. "I did my part. Now I believe I'm owed an apology, cousin."