‹ Prequel: Blurred Horizons
Status: Complete! <3

Rising Shadows

Chapter Two

Emily didn't know why Georgina Hale had even invited her to the party. They weren't friends, not even close. In fact Emily was pretty sure Georgina actually hated her. But Emily's was a big name in London society, even if not everyone approved of her behavior. Georgina was always quick to make sure anyone who was someone was in attendance at her parties.

The Hale's stuffy butler showed Emily inside and no sooner had he announced her arrival than Georgina herself came sweeping through the crowd to link arms with her.

"Emily, darling!" she gushed. "You look lovely. That dress is just to die for."

"Thank you, Georgina," Emily sighed. Georgina seemed keen on not letting Emily out of her sight, dragging her all around the Hale estate while she mingled with her guests.

"I think Robert Snowden is thinking of proposing to me soon," Georgina whispered conspiratorially, leaning in and nearly suffocating Emily with her heavily floral perfume.

"Is that so?" she asked. The boredom in her tone was lost on Georgina, who continued to jabber excitedly about her alleged potential proposal.

"He's quite handsome, don't you think? Of course that means Rebecca would be my sister-in-law and she's practically unbearable since she got married. Still, Robert is quite a catch."

Emily suddenly had an image of Georgina holding a fishing rod with Robert Snowden hanging off the hook by his lip, eyes bulging comically. She swallowed a snicker and pretended to listen politely to Georgina's analysis. He probably would propose to her soon, and if it wasn't him, it would be another eligible young man. With her alabaster complexion, shiny auburn hair and big green eyes Georgina attracted a lot of attention from men looking for a suitable wife. Emily had had a reasonable number of would-be suitors when she first returned from her accidental adventure on the Silver Spirit, but since she had taken her job as an inventor most men had been giving her a wide berth; which was fine with her.

"Oh, it's almost time!" Georgina said suddenly, tugging Emily into the parlor. A round wooden table sat in the dead center of the room, a dark tablecloth draped over it and covered in candles.

"Almost time for what?" Emily asked.

"Madame Antoinette Beauchene is here," Georgina said, beaming smugly. "She's going to perform a seance."

She pulled Emily toward the table with her, practically shoving her into a seat as Emily frowned. She had heard of Madame Beauchene; she had become something of a celebrity and was often invited to the homes of the richest members of society who wanted to spice up their parties and make them more memorable.

Emily knew Percy's mother had performed seances before she died, but Percy didn't like to talk about it. They seemed to make him uncomfortable. The lights were dimmed, the flickering candlelight casting eerie shadows across people's faces. A woman entered the room and the excited whispers died down. Madame Beauchene was a tall woman, with flinty gray eyes and jet black hair wound up in a tight bun. Her dark purple dress whispered across the floor as she took a seat at the head of the table, looking at each person sitting around it.

"Join hands," she instructed. Georgina grabbed Emily's hand, staring at the psychic with wide eyes.

"For tonight, I ask you to suspend your disbelief," Madame Beauchene said. Her voice was low and hypnotic, laced with a French accent. She closed her eyes and a collective hush came over the room. Georgina's grip tightened on Emily's hand and she grimaced.

"Spirits, speak to us if you're there. We are open to your voice."

For a moment nothing happened. Then the table jerked and people gasped. Those not sitting around the table took nasty steps backward.

"Do not break the circle," Madame Beauchene murmured. The table jumped again, the candles almost falling over. Beside Emily, Georgina let out a tiny scream and closed her eyes. Emily tried to pry her hand free of Georgina's death grip but it was no use. Madame Beauchene continued to coax the spirits to make their presence known, and the lights flickered back on and then off again erratically. There were gasps and a few screams; Emily saw one woman faint dead away, her husband jumping to catch her before she hit the floor. Madame Beauchene's eyes suddenly snapped open and she looked directly at Emily.

The lights went out again, and the candles extinguished, casting the room into total darkness. Emily blinked, trying to adjust her eyes. The fireplace behind Madame Beauchene roared to life, causing more screams. Madame's eyes were still locked in Emily's face, the firelight behind her making her eyes look like liquid silver.

"Do you believe?" Madame Besuchene asked. Heart pounding, Emily nodded once. Her chair jerked, sliding backwards and she yelped.

"They want something from you," Madame whispered. Emily blinked as Madame's image flickered, another face overlapping hers. A pale young girl with blond hair. Emily tried to stand up as a loud rushing filled her ears. The girl stared back at her with wide, solemn eyes. Then her face vanished as Emily collapsed and the fire went out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Move back and give her some air."

"Do you think she's all right?"

"Should we fetch a doctor?"

Emily opened her eyes to find a crowd of people clustered around her. She realized she was on the floor and sat up slowly. The lights were back on, and Madame Beauchene was nowhere to be seen. Someone knelt to help Emily to her feet.

"Do you need a doctor?" the young man asked. Emily shook her head.

"No, I'm fine," she said quietly. "It's just a bit too warm in here. Perhaps I should just go home for the evening."

"Of course," Georgina said. "I do hope you're all right, Emily."

Emily resisted the urge to roll her eyes. People moved out of her way as she left the parlor, stepping out into the cool night air. She didn't go straight home, returning to her lab instead to say goodnight to Percy. He was sitting in the chair at her workbench, reading one of the books she had given him. She smiled when she saw him. He glanced up at her in surprise.

"I didn't expect you back so soon," he said.

"I had a bit of a fainting spell so I left early-Percy I'm fine get that frown off your face."

"Are you sure? Do you feel sick?" He sprang up and urged her to sit in the chair, despite her protests.

"Percy I'm fine," she repeated.

"It's because you've been working too hard," Percy chided gently. "You're exhausted. You need to get some proper sleep."

"I will," she promised. "I just wanted to see you first."

"You saw me all day," he said with a chuckle.

"Well it's not enough." Emily stood and kissed him, laughing when he picked her up and pulled her closer.

"You should really go home and go to sleep," Percy said. She sighed.

"I know. But don't think you're off the hook for picking on Finnigan." She shook her head and smiled. Percy grimaced.

"I can't help it," he muttered and Emily laughed.

"You are such a handful, Percival." Emily hugged him, burying her face in his chest. He gently started pulling all the pins out of her hair, so that it fell in loose reddish gold waves around her face. She was practically asleep on her feet when he finished.

"Go home and go to bed, Em," Percy laughed softly.

"Mmmph," was her incoherent reply. She pulled away from him reluctantly.

"I'll walk you home," he said. They were silent on the way there, Emily trying not to drag her feet. Percy finally picked her up and carried her to her front door, her head resting on his shoulder.

"Goodnight Percy," she murmured, kissing him again before he set her down. "I love you."

"I love you too." He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Now go to sleep."

"Okay, okay." Emily rolled her eyes and went inside, blowing Percy a kiss before closing the door, changing into a night dress and falling into bed. She was asleep before her head hit the pillow.