‹ Prequel: Blurred Horizons
Status: Complete! <3

Rising Shadows

Chapter Twenty-Nine

To say that Percy felt awful when he woke up was an understatement. It took a few minutes just to remember where he was. Then, like a ton of bricks, the reality of the last few weeks hit him. It was a blur, like a hazy dream, but he remembered what he needed to. He drank. He was horrible to everyone. He hit Emily. That hurt the most. He couldn't believe what he'd done, and he couldn't make any sense of it.

In another sense, he suddenly felt like a ton of weight had been lifted off his shoulders. The darkness that filled his heart was gone, and he had no explanation as to how it had gone or how it had gotten there in the first place. He rolled out of bed and went to a mirror, choking back a gasp when he saw all the shattered glass on the floor. Who broke the mirror? A hazy image of himself crossed his mind, and he took a few steps away, moving to a different mirror. He was glad he did.

Percy looked like his father, and it horrified him. He quickly took off his clothes and washed all the hate and anger off his body, changing into fresh and clean clothes. He carefully combed his hair back, wincing a bit as he untangled the thick locks that hadn't been touched in weeks. How did he let himself get this disheveled?

He hurried down the stairs looking for Emily, but instead found Caesar sitting on the couch, tail flicking from side to side. The cats had all but gone missing since the wedding. Percy slowly approached Caesar, surprised when the cat hopped down and met him halfway, purring and rubbing up against his leg. He sighed and knelt down, scratching him behind the ears.

"Now where has that Emily gone?" he muttered.

He wouldn't have been surprised if Emily left him. She was much better off without him. She deserved better. He slipped his coat on and went outside, taking in the crisp morning air and hurrying down the street. He checked the lab first, but Emily wasn't there. Her projects hadn't even been touched in a couple days.

Percy sighed as he went back out, checking the Weldon house next. Mrs. Browne answered the door, her eyes puffy and red from crying. When she saw Percy, she looked as if she was going to break down again. Percy frowned, taking her hands and looking at her with concern.

"What's wrong?" he asked. "Where is everyone?"

"Oh, Percy," she said slowly. "You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?" Percy asked, trying not to sound impatient.

"Miss Emily was found with the Dollmaker this morning," Mrs. Browne said. "He was dead, and she isn't waking up. Master Weldon and his family have gone to the hospital to see her."

"The hospital," Percy repeated, voice cracking.

He backed up slowly in disbelief, muttering a "thank you" to Mrs. Browne before starting towards the hospital, breaking into a run. Some people were shoved aside in Percy's mad dash to the hospital, leaving him panting like a dog when he got there. Tessa Weldon found him first, dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief and putting an arm around him. Clearly, she didn't know how terrible Percy had been to her daughter.

"This way, dear," she said softly. "We going to come get you this morning, but I should have known you would come for her on your own."

Percy hurried down the hall with her to the room Emily was in, shoving through the crowd of her family that had formed around her bed to see her. When he did, he felt a massive lump form in his throat.

She looked dead. If Henry wasn't hovering over them, promising everyone that she was still alive. Percy collapsed in the nearest chair next to her as Henry checked her over, and someone put a glass of water in his hand. Percy's gaze floated over all the people in the room. The only person who didn't look like they felt sorry for him was Scarlett. He quickly realized that she was the only one who knew about how he'd been acting. Gigi squirmed in her arms, trying to get down, but Ben was quietly whispering to her and trying to get her to calm down. Scarlett just glared at Percy.

"Uncle Perc!"

Scarlett's expression softened to one of surprise as Gigi finally squirmed free of her arms, running to Percy and diving into his arms, giggling. He fumbled to make sure he didn’t drop her, setting the glass of water on the side table. She clung to him like she hadn’t seen him in years, while Scarlett watched in shock. She made eye contact with Percy, and a moment later, she understood. Something was wrong before, but now he was back to normal.

“Alright, alright,” Henry said. “Everyone out. Emily needs some space.”

Everyone reluctantly filed out of the room, but Percy stayed in that chair, with Gigi sitting in his lap. Henry looked like he was going to kick Percy out too, then changed his mind, nodding to him and checking Emily over once more before touching the nurse’s arm and leaving. Percy waited until the door was closed and he was alone before melting back in the chair, closing his eyes.

“Uncle Perc all better?” Gigi asked.

“I don’t know,” Percy said softly, opening his eyes to look at her.

“Uncle Perc all better!” she said gleefully. “Auntie Emmie make better!”

“Huh?” Percy frowned.

“Aunt Emmie sleep?” Gigi asked, pointing to Emily.

“Yes, she’s sleeping,” Percy told her.

“Wake up!” Gigi yelled, climbing up on Emily’s bed from Percy’s lap and crawling on top of her. “Wake up, Aunt Emmie!”

“Gigi, I don’t think that’s going to work,” Percy sighed, picking her up and hugging her close, mostly for his own comfort. “We’re just going to let her sleep a little bit, okay?”

“Then play?” Gigi asked.

“Then we can play.”

Gigi nodded, cuddling up against Percy’s chest. After a little bit of sitting in silence, she fell asleep in his arms. Percy looked down at her, careful not to move too much and wake her up. She was such a small, fragile thing. If he made the wrong move, he could easily break her. However, he wouldn’t. He wouldn’t dare harm a hair on her little head. Then why had he found it alright to lay his hands on Emily? The thought of it made him feel like choking again. He’d driven her away, and she ran into a murderer. And now she was lying in a hospital bed, and she wasn’t waking up.

Percy shifted in his seat to be closer to her, gently brushing her hair back and lightly tracing down the side of her face. She was hurt badly, but the large purple bruise on her face wasn’t inflicted by the Dollmaker. That had been Percy.

He jumped slightly when the door opened, and Scarlett came in. She opened her mouth to say something, but quickly snapped it shut again, her expression hardening. Percy wasn’t sure why she was so angry with him, or what he’d done to her. It was all a blur. He leaned back so she could take Gigi from him, watching as she gently cradled her daughter and put a small coat over her shoulders without waking her up.

“I hope she wakes up,” Scarlett said softly, her voice flat.

With that, she left, and Henry came in on her way out. He gave Percy a sad smile, patting his shoulder on the way to Emily’s side, checking her pulse. Percy watched as Henry changed her bandages, tying the one around her head off with a deep sigh.

“There comes a time when you just can’t protect her anymore,” he said quietly. “You’ll have to trust that she can take care of herself.”

Percy felt a sharp twinge of guilt when Henry said this, but did his best not to let it show.

“She’s strong,” Percy said quietly. “She always comes through. She has to.”

“She will,” Henry said, though he didn’t seem completely sure. “I’ll be sure that when she wakes, you’ll be the first to know.”

“Actually,” Percy said, “I was hoping I could stay with her until she does.”

“With all due respect, all we have for you is that wooden chair you’re sitting in,” he said. “I think you’d be much more comfortable at home.”

“A wooden chair is fine,” Percy assured him. “I’ve slept under a bridge, so this won’t be any worse. Besides, I don’t think I’ll be sleeping very much.”

Henry sighed, but nodded reluctantly. “Alright. I’ll have the nurse keep an eye on Emily. I’d stay, but… well…”

“You have a family of your own,” Percy finished. “I understand.”

Henry gave Percy a more genuine smile before leaving, lightly closing the door behind him. Percy stared at Emily in silence for a little bit, longing for her to open her eyes, but she wasn’t moving. He leaned and kissed her on the forehead.

“You’re my family, Emily,” he muttered. “I’m not going anywhere, until you tell me to.”