‹ Prequel: Blurred Horizons
Status: Complete! <3

Rising Shadows

Chapter Six

"I can't believe my little Emily is getting married!"

Emily glanced up from admiring her ring for the thousandth time and smiled at her mother. It had been a month since Percy proposed and though Emily's entire family had been informed immediately, Emily had been so busy that she hadn't had a chance to sit down with her mother and sisters-in-law to revel in the excitement of being engaged. Now she had finally been able to sit aside time for them all to have tea and she looked around at the beaming faces of Tessa, Amelia and Liza Weldon and Ben's mother Mary.

"It still seems surreal," Emily said. "I never saw it coming. He went to Daddy and asked for his blessing and everything."

"Your father had this look in his eye, like a child let loose in a toy store," Tessa said. "And he kept chuckling to himself and the horrid man wouldn't tell me what he was on about. He said I'd find out soon enough and I'd be glad he didn't tell me. Then Emily came by the next morning with the biggest smile I've ever seen to tell me the good news. I almost fainted."

"Our wild little Emily, settling down," Liza teased.

"Not that I blame her," Amelia added. "He's very handsome, Em."

Emily felt her cheeks turn pink as she grinned. "He is," she agreed with a sigh. "And you'd never guess it but he's terribly romantic. I used to sneak down from my room and meet him in our garden so that's where he took me to propose."

"Don't tell your brothers that," Mary laughed. "I thought the poor dears were going to faint themselves when you told them."

"They're very protective," Tessa agreed with a smile. "I think they're finally starting to accept that Emily is an engaged woman."

"Have you thought of any plans for your dress and your flowers?" Amelia asked.

"I took a design to Viola Smythe just yesterday," Emily said excitedly and everyone gasped delightedly.

"A custom Viola Smythe dress!" Liza exclaimed. "Oh you're going to be the most stunning bride of the year. She makes the finest dresses."

"You'll be wearing them too, as my bridesmaids," Emily said, laughing when their faces lit up.

"I never thought I'd be this excited about having a wedding," Emily admitted with a laugh. "I was going to swear off marriage and be a stubborn spinster forever. But then I met Percy and the idea of being a wife didn't seem so bad anymore. Stop all your knowing little smirks," she added, wrinkling her nose.

"You just look so dreamy every time you talk about him," Amelia said. "Emily is hopelessly smitten."

They spent a little more time teasing Emily and discussing plans for the wedding, which was to be held in late May, still nearly four months away. The five of them finally rose and left the tea room, Liza and Amelia bidding them goodbye and hailing a cab to return to their homes. Tessa, Mary and Emily chose to walk, strolling leisurely through the park that divided the shops and restaurants from the nearby estates.

"It's rather mad, isn't it?" Emily remarked. "If I had never stowed away on Ben's ship and been taken in by a pirate crew none of this would be happening. I never would have met Percy and I probably really would have become a spinster."

"Fate is a curious thing," Mary agreed.

"I hate to cut this short, but I have some things I need to work on at the lab," Emily said apologetically, rolling her eyes when Tessa and Mary shared an amused look.

"I'm not just going to see Percy," she told them. "I really do have work to do."

"Of course you do, dear." Tessa kissed her cheek and Emily set off briskly for her lab, finding herself constantly fiddling with the ring on her left hand. It was beautiful; with a rose gold band and a cluster of small and dazzling diamonds that were arranged in such a way that they reminded Emily of a flower in bloom. The fact that Percy had chosen it just for her made her feel almost giddy.

He was hard at work assembling some parts for a larger machine she was working on and didn't notice her walk in. She took a moment to just stare at him before sweeping across the room and tugging on his arm to get his attention. He turned to look at her and before he could say a word she grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him down to kiss him.

"What was that for?" he asked, looking slightly dazed when she finally let him go.

"I'm just happy," Emily said, keeping her arms around him in a tight hug. "I went out to lunch with the women of my family today and we were talking about the wedding and you and I'm just happy. I love you so much, Percy."

His eyes took on a softness as he looked down at her. "I love you too. I'm glad you're so happy about everything."

"Happy isn't even the right word. It's not strong enough. I'm in an unparalleled state of premarital bliss and exultation."

Percy arched an eyebrow. "That good, huh?"

"Oh, just shut up and kiss me again."

He laughed and obliged, wrapping his hands gently around her waist. He lifted her off her feet slightly, deepening the kiss. They didn't get as much work done as they should have, because Emily didn't want to let go of Percy for long and he didn't deny her hugs and kisses when she wanted them. They were in the lab late; the sky had completely darkened by the time Emily finally relented and agreed they needed to get some actual work done.

"I'm going to have dandelions in my bouquet," Emily said suddenly. Percy glanced over at her.

"What?"

"I mean it will be an actual bouquet of course, with real flowers. But I want dandelions scattered through it."

Percy smiled. "Are you going to get ones that are still covered in seeds and make a wish?"

"I don't need to. I'll be marrying you. All my hundred wishes would be the same, and they've already come true." She planted a quick kiss on his lips before returning to her task. A pounding knock on the door of the lab startled them both. Frowning, Emily went to answer it.

"Who could that be at this hour?"

She blinked in surprise to find a crowd of police gathered outside.

"Can I help you?" she asked uncertainly.

"We're looking for Percival Everett," one man told her crisply. "Is he here?"

"What do you want with him?" Emily demanded.

"Nothing for you to concern yourself with, Miss."

"He's my fiancé and my lab partner. I'd say I'm entitled to a bit of concern," Emily said tersely.

"I'm very sorry, Miss," the man said, looking a tad chagrined. But he still fairly shoved past her to get into the lab, the other officers following. Emily rushed after them, Percy looking up at the sound of footsteps. He eyed the police warily.

"Percival Everett, you're under arrest."

"For what?" Emily demanded. She tried to move between the man and Percy but another officer grabbed her arm roughly and held her in place.

"Don't touch her," Percy snapped. He took a step forward and the officers drew their guns.

"I suggest you come with us quietly," the lead officer said. Emily could already tell from his stance that Percy had no intentions of going quietly but she knew they'd shoot him if he made a move.

"What is this all about?" she demanded again. "Why are you taking him?"

"We have reason to believe this man has committed the crime of piracy, among other things. We're to take him into custody until such time as guilt or innocence has been established."

"You can't just walk in here and take him," Emily protested, sounding almost desperate now. The man gripping her arm tried to push her out of the way and she stumbled against the work bench. Percy's eyes darkened.

"I told you not to touch her," he growled, moving toward the man.

"Use the stun ray," the lead officer ordered.

"Leave him alone!" Emily said. But no one was listening to her. Someone raised their stun ray and fired.

"No!" Emily cried, rushing forward as Percy jerked and fell to the floor. She managed to drop to her knees and cushion his head before it smacked the tile. Then the officers were yanking him away from her, shackling him.

"This won't stand," Emily declared vehemently. She wanted to do something; make them leave Percy alone. But she had to watch helplessly as they dragged him away in chains. Tears pooled in her eyes. Then she looked down at the ring on her finger and her resolve strengthened. She wiped away her tears and stood up. She didn't know how yet, but she was going to get her fiancé out of prison.