Drag Me Down

1

I was woken up by loud voices and louder laughing and groaned, fumbling for my phone to realize that it was time for me to get up anyway. I ignored that reality and turned in my too tiny bunk to check my social media and also my schedule for the day.

For as long as I could remember, Harry was there by my side. Yes, that Harry. Harry Styles. But to me, he would always be Hazza, the annoying kid from next door that somehow became my best friend.

We grew up inseparable, and when you found one of us, you always found the other. It was always HarryandJade or JadeandHarry, uttered together in one breath by our mothers with a fond tone in their voices, even if they were disciplining us for sneaking out to each other's houses or making a mess of the kitchen trying to bake brownies.

When Harry left home to be in the band, I went to college to pursue studying my dream of photography. But being JadeandHarry never changed. We talked every day, and it was almost as if our friendship grew stronger.

I cheered him on when he had huge achievements in the band, and comforted him when he felt homesick. He cheered me on when I landed my dream job as a photographer, and comforted me when I doubted myself.

That was until my life changed. On the way to a photo shoot one day, my car spun out on black ice and I hit a pole.

Harry came running into the hospital room, frantic apologies on his lips and cries of how he should have been there, should have been by my side.

The accident left me with a permanent limp in my walk, which I barely even noticed anymore, and a big, permanent, jagged scar that ran diagonally from my eyebrow to my chin.

The scar was something I noticed.

I also noticed Harry's constant worrying, even after I told him I would be okay.

When he had to go back on tour, he begged and pleaded with me to stay by his side.

That was how I found myself in this position a year later. In a too tiny bunk on a tour bus with four boyband members bickering outside it.

Normally, I would get up and go join them, laughing right along, but the night before, I had an awful night's sleep, and I had a headache forming in the back of my head, and I wanted to go back to sleep. But I couldn't.

I sighed, pulling open the curtain and swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

I walked out into the living room area and silently sat next to me best friend on the couch, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Sorry, Jadie, did we wake you?" Harry asked softly.

I shook my head and yawned.

"No, I had to be up anyway. Big day today."

"I'm buzzin." Louis declared happily. "I mean, today's stadium is massive."

"It really is. I'm proud of you guys." I said. "We're doing a photo shoot type deal in an hour inside it, though. And then you guys have interviews and stuff, and then soundcheck, all which I'll be photographing today for behind the scenes footage."

"Too early for schedule talk." Niall replied.

I groaned. Today was not the day for this.

"You guys need to take this seriously because I'm not chasing you around everywhere today to pose for pictures. If you don't sit for me for at least ten minutes, I will go home."

With that, I stormed (as fast as I could with a limp) back to my bunk. I pulled out clothes from my bag to start getting dressed and ready, when Harry showed up behind me.

"Wanna talk about what's bothering you, fluff?"

I groaned at how easily the childhood nickname rolled from his tongue.

"Not really." I mumbled, continuing my search for a semi clean bra.

Harry sighed and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, causing me to deflate a little.

"You know that we're only trying to have a laugh when we run around and stuff." He said gently.

I sighed, looking up at him.

"I know, Hazza. I'm not really annoyed by that. I just had a shit night's sleep is all." I muttered.

"Are you alright?" He asked, tone instantly concerned.

I rolled my eyes, shooing him out of the room.

"I'll be fine once I change and get my day started." I assured him. "And I'll apologize to the boys for snapping."

"If you need a break at all today, let me know, okay?" Harry asked.

I nodded and shoved him out of the room, quickly getting dressed for the day.

I rubbed my temple to try to ease the throbbing in my head and prepared myself for the day ahead of me in my chaotic life.