You Promised

1

"You can't do this to me, Brian," Melody whimpered, watching her husband of ten years from across the room.

They both had felt the tension growing between them for months now, just not realizing how bad it was getting. Melody never liked confrontation, and always tried to pretend everything was okay. She surpressed her feelings to make sure everything went smoothly with their relationship.

Brian was the complete opposite, though. He always said what he was on his mind, and that was that. He hated fighting with his wife, but lately it seemed to be all they were doing. He had enough stress with the band, he didn't want to deal with this shit anymore.

They could feel themseleves growing apart from each other day by day now. The only exception was that one was still fighting while the other already had one foot out the door.

"Oh! And you think going on day by day like this is the way to live?!" He yelled back, running his hand through his hair.

In all reality his heart was breaking into a million pieces as he watched his wife fell apart in front of his eyes. But that small part of him that felt detatched from her didn't seem to care.

"You promised!" She yelled at him, getting angrier at the way he was acting.

"That was ten years ago, Melody! We were kids when we first got together!"

"So then all these years just mean abosolutely nothing to you?" Her whole world crashed around her hearing his words. "This whole marriage means nothing to you?!"

He groaned, just completly done with fighting. It seemed like it was all they did lately. "I didn't say that, so don't go putting words in my mouth."

"Then what do you want from me, Brian?" She whispered, looking him straight in the eyes as tears flowed down her cheeks.

He thought carefully for a few moments, before he answered her. "I want a divorce."

With those words, Melody had finally broken. "Fine," she hissed, taking the ring off her finger, her eyes never leaving his. "Take your fucking ring and shove it up your ass," she said, throwing it at him. "Just take everything and fucking leave!" She screamed, picking up a photo of them and throwing it at him. He quickly moved out of it's way, and he heard the glass shatter against the wall.

He had never seen this side of his wife in the fifteen years they had been together, and it honestly terrified him.

"Take all the damn memories with you while you're at it!" She yelled, throwing the next closest thing to her, which so happened to be a book. He wasn't lucky enough to miss this one though. He grunted, slightly doubling over as it hit him in the chest. "Everything I fucking sacrificed for you! It was never enough! I was there for you since the begining! I was there when the band was barely even starting! I worked my ass off with Val to do whatever we could to help you guys out! But it never was enough!"

With every word he said, he felt even more guilty. Maybe he had made the wrong decision and had spoken out of haste...

"What is it that you want, Brian? To be free? To be able to have any little fan girl throws herself at you, and you not have to worry about your god damn wife?!" This time she tried throwing a shoe at him. He had finally had enough.

He swiftly walked over to her and grabbed her by the wrists, making her stop all movements. "Stop," he said sternly.

"Don't you dare treat me like a fucking dog," she spat at him, trying to yank her wrists away from him.

"That's enough, Melody," he said, pushing her wrists down to her sides and letting go.

"No! You don't get to say when it's enough, Brian! You always have the say, and I'm tired of it! You want to leave, then fucking leave already!" She said, suddenly pushing her hands against his chest. "You fucking promised, Brian! You put on that ring, and fucking promised me until the end of time!" All he could think to do was wrap his arms tightly around her to try to get her to calm down.

She continued to try to rip away from his grasp, but never could. Finally, she gave up, collapsing into a sobbing mess into his chest. He held onto her tightly, a hand threading into her hair and his other wrapping tightly around her waist. Tears pricked his eyes as he suddenly realized the horrific mistake he had just made.

"You're making my heart hurt..." She whimpered, still clinging onto his shirt, the tears showing no sign of stopping. "Why am I not good enough for you anymore?"

He gently pulled her face from his chest, gently wiping the tears from her cheeks. "You are good enough for me, Mel," he whispered, not caring that a tear had escaped down his cheek.

"Then how is it so easy for you to just let me go?"

He sighed heavily, looking her straight in the eyes. "It's not easy by any means; it hurts like hell..."

"Then why are you doing this, Brian?"

"Because, Mel do you seriously want to live the rest of our lives fighting all the time? We were kids when we got together, and we've both changed so much since then. Can't you realize that we're both in love with the people that we used to be?"

She softly shook her head, keeping his gaze. "When will you realize that I am in love with you no matter what, Brian Haner?" She stepped away from him and angrily wiped the tears from her eyes. "Yes, we got together when we were younger. Back when we were young and naive and didn't fully understand the world. So what? We've made it this far for the past fifteen years. Sure, we've had our up's and down's, but what couples don't?" She stepped even further away from him, wrapping her arms around herself.

Part of him wanted to reach out to her. But the other part just wanted to walk out and be done with this already.

"Why can't we learn to love each other for who we are now, Brian? I mean, that seems to be what you're so concerned about." When he didn't answer her, she turned from him, feeling a fresh wave of tears come over her.

They really were broken.

"Take what you like, Brian. I have no use for material things," she said softly, not looking back at him as she walked out of the bedroom. She quickly walked down the stairs, trying to avoid the studio door, knowing the guys had to of heard at least half of what had happened.

Her heart was shattering with every step her bare feet took out the back door and down the porch steps, until they hit the sand. She kept walking as quickly as she could, the night air nipping at her bare arms.

The tears still kept falling as she reached the water, gazing out into the vast darkness. She was trying so hard to keep herself some-what together, but she knew she was failing miserably. She wanted to scream, cry, and punch something all at once.

Fifteen years of her life down the drain.

Suddenly, a pair of familiar arms wrapped around her from behind. Her instincts made her start to pull away from him, but his arms only tightened around her. "You're only making this harder," she cried, her chest tightening even more.

"I'm sorry," he murmered into her hair. "I made a mistake."

"You can't just say you want a divorce, Brian then all of a sudden try to take it back. It doesn't work that way." She wasn't just going to drop how she felt and go crawling back to him that fast.

"What you said brought me to realization, Mel. You're right, we can learn to love each other again..."

She staid silent, not really sure of how to respond. Had she really gotten through to him, or was he just saying what she wanted to hear? "You know it's not that easy..." she whispered.

He turned her around in his arms, cupping her face in his hands. "I know it's not, but I'm willing to fight if you are."

"Why, Brian? Why all of a sudden now? Because you saw me finally walk away? Because you-"

He silenced her by bringing his lips to hers in a passionate kiss that they both needed. "Because I promised."
♠ ♠ ♠
I suddenly got inspiration for this listening to the song You Promised by Brantley Gilbert (plus bottled up emotions). You should go check it out (: It's a good song