Disenchanted Teenagers

Beginning again

I so don't want to be here, Kiera thought for the hundredth time that day. She slowly trudged down the halls of her new school, in her lovely new uniform. She hated it, everything about it. The school was private, catholic and you had to wear sweater vests and skirts. Plaid skirts, with pleats. Kiera hated skirts.

The bell had gone off several seconds ago, but she didn't quicken her step. Somehow she landed in front of her first class anyway. She sighed as she opened the door. The room went deathly quiet as she walked in. Nothing she wasn't used to. This was her fifth high school in less than four years. She easily spotted the jocks, cheerleaders, geeks and misfits all in their respective places.

"New student?" The teacher asked.

"Yup." She replied.

"Don't be late again. Take a seat."

"Right."

There were only two empty seats. The closest was next to a blonde tan guy with a cocky-as-hell smirk. He looked at Kiera like she was a piece of chocolate he needed to eat up. She cringed. 'Jock. No way am I sitting there.' She thought. She looked at the occupant next to the other empty desk. 'Hmm…shaggy black hair, doodling in notebook…yeah, that works.' She walked past the leering jock who looked shocked and disgruntled as she passed him by. She plopped down in her seat. The noise startled her new neighbor and he looked over at her, then at the other empty desk, the jock, then back to her. He had a guarded stand-offish-ness about him yet he couldn't keep the curiosity out of his sharp hazel eyes. Kiera found she couldn't look away from him. Then the mystery boy looked back down at his notebook. 'Interesting' she thought. She pulled out her own pad of paper and didn't even bother to listen to the teacher. She got so absorbed in her own art she blocked out everything else. So she didn't notice those hazel eyes look her way several more times before the class ended, as well as a pair of cold, calculating blue ones belonging to a spoiled athlete.

* * * * *

The week went by fairly quick. Kiera spent most all her class time drawing and her lunch with her brother, Erik, who was a year younger. He was the most unique individual she had ever known. Partly, she supposed, from being born deaf. They depended on each other for company most of the time because of all the moving they had gone through. They were best friends. The mysterious boy---whose name was Gerard---had still not talked to her. Unfortunately, the annoying jock, Austin, was bugging her nonstop. Ignoring perverted comments and dodging ass grabbing was becoming an everyday occurrence. She knew she couldn’t passively take it much longer. She was going to have to kick his ass, but she had to try to wait until next week as she had promised her parents to keep her nose clean. They'd forget soon. Hopefully.
Kiera walked into the lunchroom and immediately spotted her brother. Her eyes narrowed. Austin was bugging him. She walked over, her shoulders tensed. She fleetingly saw that Gerard and two other boys were at the other end of the table. All three were looking concerned at the situation. She reached Erik and Austin. Austin had taken the outer part of Erik's cochlear implant and was refusing to give it back. Erik was sitting passively, having given their parents the same promise as Kiera. But a storm was brewing in his eyes.

"Give it back." Kiera said, her voice laced with venom.

All attention was given to her.

"What'cha gonna do for me if I do?"

An idea struck her. Her face changed instantly. She smiled at Austin seductively and leaned into him, "Give it back and I'll tell you." She whispered in his ear. She caught Gerard's cold gaze and wondered if he thought she was serious. Austin lowered the cochlear onto the table. Kiera glanced down to see her brother take it.

"Soo…?" Austin asked.

Kiera slinked her hands around his arms, leaned in to kiss him…and kneed him in the groin, then threw a right hook into his jaw sending him to meet the floor. "You ever come near me or my brother again, I hang you upside down by your privates with a fish hook, understand?"

He nodded profusely, scampered up and ran off. Kiera couldn't help but grin. She sat down in a better mood than she had been in all week. She chanced a peek at Gerard. He and his two friends were laughing profusely. When he saw her looking, he gave her an approving grin. She smiled back, and then turned to her brother.

"Dad's gonna kill you. We promised no fighting for at least a week." He said. (Yes, he speaks, because he can "hear" with the cochlear, but he still knows sign language.)

Kiera sighed; putting her cold can of Pepsi on her sore knuckles. "I was close. Anyway the asshole deserved it. He's been harassing me all week, messing with you was the last straw. And anyway, you were about two seconds from doing the same thing."

"Hell no!" He exclaimed.

She gave him a look.

"I don't think my seducing him would work." He stated.

Kiera snorted into her lunch. "Mental picture!" She yelled.

"Miss Thomas? You and your brother have been asked to the principal's office immediately." A teacher, Mr. Biggs stated, his lips pursed in disapproval.

"I can hear you." Erik stated annoyed.

Mr. Biggs became flustered and left abruptly. Both Erik and Kiera smirked.

"I love doing that." Erik said, as they got up.

"Yeah. Wonder what this principal will do about us."

"Twenty bucks it's a day's suspension." Erik bet.

"Thirty says it two days detention."

"You're on."