The Way of California

When Roommates Go Right

“Stel, you there?” A very handsome, semi familiar guy knocked on Lo’s door which was still swung wide-open. “Oh, hi, is my sister here?” He asked startled seeing someone who was not Stella in the room.

“Sister? Yeah she’s in the shower right now.” Lo said still curled up in her window seat.

“Ah okay in that case she’ll definitely be awhile. Hey so, I haven’t seen you around before, are you a transfer student?” He asked sitting down on his sister’s bed.

“Yeah, I’m from Massachusetts. I just transferred in as a junior. My name’s Lo Dion by the way.” She said. This man was very very handsome and for some reason Lo couldn’t get over that fact. She was even feeling something like butterflies in her stomach, something she hadn’t felt since before she started dating Chase. Because of that she became flustered and suddenly didn’t know how to act.

“I’m Brody, nice to meet you Ms. Lo.” He smiled, a perfect smile.

“So are you and Stella twins? Not that you look alike, but you just look the same age and that seems like a logical answer. I realize that’s a random question to ask but it just popped into my head and I was curious and it kind of just slipped out” Her word vomit became uncontrollable but luckily he just chuckled and went along with it.

“Yeah, we’re fraternal twins. Stella’s a couple minutes older, not that that really matters to anyone but her.” He laughed again with Lo joining in. “Anyways I was helping carry bags in the building so I just wanted to check in and see if she was still meeting me at the party, but I guess I’ll just text her.” He got up to leave even though this girl was so beautiful and there was something about her that made him want to stay. He instantly felt this weirdly strong draw to her like she was a magnet or something. She seemed to have an air of maturity about her, something that few girls at the school had.

“Actually,” he instantly sat back down curious to hear what she was about to say, “Stella did mention a party. I’m pretty sure she’s going straight there after she’s out of the shower. She invited me too, not that that matters to anyone but her,” she grinned repeating his earlier words.

“Really!? Are you?” It was supposed to come out as a question but sounded more like a puppy waiting for a treat. The fact that this girl was gorgeous, sassy and funny made Brody even more interested in her.

“Well I was going to keep unpacking and maybe call or visit my b...er...friend from my old school. They go to college around here.” Lo shook her head catching herself off guard. Why didn’t she just come right out and say boyfriend? Why did she say friend? It’s not like it was something to hide.

“You should come. It would be a great way to meet the right people here, plus I know I would love to get to know you some more.”

“Okay, in that case I’ll think about it.” Lo smiled. It couldn’t be possible, she knew this feeling well. She had felt this way about Chase for so long, she couldn’t start to be getting a crush on someone else.

They were interrupted by Stella coming out and by the loud buzz of Lo’s phone in her pocket. “Brody!” Stella giggled. She had a towel on but was oblivious to that and the fact that it was almost falling off.
Lo looked at her phone while the two siblings exchanged greetings. “Speak of the devil” she thought looking at a text from Chase..

Hi babe, how’s it going? I miss you. How’s junior year? I know you’re in class right now because it’s only 1pm Mass time and you can’t check your phone until after school, but I just thought of something. It was my junior year in college when you finally recognized my existence and now the roles are reversed-- I’m a freshman and you’re a junior. Anyways, call me soon sweetie. xoxo :)

Lo forgot if she was still living in Massachusetts she would have already started school and would be in classes at this very moment. Even though she had been in California for only a few hours that fact seemed so weird to her now, like another world.

“So was that your college friend?” Brody asked raising an eyebrow.

Lo came back to reality and an
swered,” actually yes it was,” and raised her eyebrow back at him to which they both chuckled.
“Umm I don’t really know what’s going on here but I totally approve!” Stella who they almost forgot was in the room jumped back into the conversation. “Anyways Brody I’ll meet you at the party. I have to change now, but everyone’s going to be there, minus Cirrus apparently, but that’s okay we can do without her for awhile. Even Lo is coming,” Stella winked at the girl making up Lo’s mind for her. “So you can leave now so we can get ready, kay.” She said pushing him out not letting him get another word in. She shut and locked the door behind him and looked right back at Lo with purpose.

“Um so that’s your twin huh?” Stella waved off the question and got right to the point.

“You kinda like him don’t you. You like my brother!” Her aqua eyes glistened with interest and excitement.

“No-”

“It’s okay I give you permission, not that you need it. But I don’t care if you like him, I actually encourage it. He needs a good girl in his life.” Stella continued cutting Lo off.

“Stella! I have a boyfriend!” Lo had to raise her voice to get the attention of the blond girl back.

“Oh..” She said stopping her rant. “Well does he go here or is he back in Mass or what?”

“He actually goes to Berkeley College. He’s a freshman there. He doesn’t know that I moved out here and am now only 4 hours away. Getting accepted here and moving my whole life to California I haven’t had time to tell him the whole story yet. But I’m hoping to go and visit him soon to tell him in person.”

“That’s such a romantic story!” Stella squealed. “How do you plan on getting down there though? Do you have a car on campus?”

“No, that’s why I didn’t just head straight there. I kinda have to figure that part out. I guess maybe a bus if there’s a route that way or if I have to I’ll take a taxi.”

“Girl don’t be crazy! My brother and I both have great cars here, I will absolutely drive you down if that’s something you’d want. I don’t have to come out with you guys obviously. I can just explore the town.”

“That would be incredible! I would be in your debt for like ever! And you would be welcome to come along to anywhere you wanted with us.” Lo smiled so grateful that her roommate turned out to be such a fast friend.

“That sounds good. We can go this weekend if you’d like. I mean we really have nothing else to do. Classes start on Friday but we definitely won’t have any homework or anything so it’ll be a perfect time.”

“That sounds wonderful to me! Thank you again Stella! I really appreciate it!”

“Of course, don’t even worry about it. So are you ready to head out for the little party? We should really get going.”

“Yeah I think so. Who is going to be there that I should know?”

“Brody obviously,” Stella winked at that still holding out hope that the two would continue to hit it off despite Lo’s boyfriend, “Hayden Whaller and her boyfriend Bane Nickerson, Skye Burke, Fischer Evans who I suggest you stay far far away from, especially with your face and body, and a bunch of other people. But don’t worry I’ll introduce you to all the right ones.” It was amazing how quickly the two were bonding and Lo was confident that they would become really good friends.

“Thank you Stella. I really appreciate how you’re taking me under your wing so quickly. I feel already at home here.”

“No problem darling. I already feel comfortable with you. I think you have some kind of aura around you that makes people feel like they've known for years even when they just meet you. If it’s not that it’s something but either way I’m very happy you’re my roommate.” The girl said as they began the descent down the stairs.

“Aw Stel, that’s sweet thank you.” Lo smiled at her.

“Okay enough of this sappy stuff on to a new topic. What do you truly think of my brother? Do you think he’s cute?”

“Stel!” Lo playfully slapped the girl’s arm. “Way to be blunt.”

“Yeah so whatever just answer the question.” Lo thought back to the tall figure with his bright grey/green eyes and messy mop of black wavy hair. Then she envisioned his slowly growing stubble all around his perfectly chiseled chin framing his incredible smile. How could she not?

“Well honestly if I said no that would be a lie. He is a very handsome man. Why are you so determined for me and your brother to be an item?”

“There’s this girl Cirrus Gates, the school bitch, you don’t want to get on her bad side because she is a terrifying human being. She is also one of our very good friends, because again you want to stay on her good side. She basically rules this school and can get anyone and everyone to do what she wants just because she is feared. She is also absolutely stunning. I never thought someone that beautiful could exist, except now I’ve met you and see that it’s more common than I thought.” Lo blushed at that. “Honestly Cirrus is just a very bad person. She gets in all sorts of trouble and last I knew she was into all sorts of drugs. That’s actually why she ended up getting suspended last year. Anyways freshman year of college Brody fell for her just like basically every other guy at this school, but the different thing with him was that Cirrus was actually interested in him too, but nothing more than to have fun. She led him on for two years. Brody was head over heels for her, definitely in love, but he came too easy to her so she just threw him to the side like trash. He was still so hooked though that every time it was convenient for her she would use him and take advantage of his feelings and he would go along with it.” Stella sighed. She looked so distressed and Lo could just imagine how hard it must have been for her to see her brother being put in that situation by her supposed friend. “I saw the way he was looking at you in the room and the way he was acting. You’re the first girl he’s shown even a slight interest in since her. It’s probably because in a way you and Cirrus are so similar.”

Lo was taken aback. “From the way you described her I don’t want to be similar to her at all. That’s a terrible comparison!”

Stella shook her head. “I mean besides the fact that you are both the two most beautiful ladies I have ever seen you’re similar in the way you affect people. She controls people through fear whereas whatever you have seems to make people feel comfortable and confident about themselves. Personality-wise you two are exact opposites.” She stated as they got down to the lobby of their dorm building.

“Okay, I guess that’s acceptable. I was worried for a minute that you were perceiving me in a totally different way.”

“Nah Lo you have absolutely nothing to worry about.” She smiled comfortingly at her.

“Stella!” An unknown brownish redhead appeared bounding over. She acted just like her hair looked bouncy and curly. She broke the two out of their intense conversation and back to reality.

“Hi Skye!” Stella broke away from Lo and gave the small girl a tight hug. “Stella this is my new roommate Lo. She just transferred here from Massachusetts. Lo this is Skye, one of my bestfriends and my secret girlfriend.” Skye’s mouth dropped open as soon as those words came out of her mouth.

“Stella! Why would you tell her that!”

“Don’t worry Skye,” Stella brushed her off. “Lo’s very cool. I totally trust her already. Once you get to know her you automatically will too. Besides you’re rooming with Cirrus this year so we definitely won’t be able to hang out in your room. So if Lo knows about us we don’t have to completely sneak around.” Skye softened as she thought logically about what Stella had said and she was right, but she still was surprised that after two years of secret dating with no one, not even their families knowing that she spilled their secret so fast to someone she barely knew. Skye looked into Lo’s eyes and instantly felt a warm wave of comfort with the girl.

“Don’t worry I can keep your secret. I definitely have no reason to tell anyone. Stella’s been so great to me in just the few hours I’ve been here I would never do anything to betray her.” Lo said confidently trying to comfort Skye.

“I believe you Lo, like Stella said there’s something about you that I already feel like I can trust you. You don’t seem like anybody else here which is refreshing. I thank you in advance for keeping our secret.”

“Guys we really should be getting a move on. There’s definitely already a lot of people at Chez Rosette and my cousin won’t start serving drinks until I’m there.” Stella said glancing up from her phone where she was probably reading texts asking where she was. It wasn’t a real party until the alcohol started flowing.

“Oops yes sorry Stella!” The two girls apologized in unison as they followed Stella out the door towards to parking lot and headed straight to the restaurant.