‹ Prequel: Complicated
Status: I hope this is good tbh

Stronger

Ch 5

“You look like shit.”

“Nice to see you too.” Kellin said as he hugged Matty, who returned it. “I’ve had … a week.”

“I’ll buy the beer and we can stay wherever you’re staying and just drink it out.” Kellin hugged Matty tighter, trying not to cry. “Aw, whatever it is I’m sure it’ll be fine.”
Kellin let go and took a deep breath. “I hope you’re right. But anyways, enough of the sad. You’re here and we haven’t talked in forever so let’s go home and then we can get beer and we can have fun.”

Once they got the beer from the store, Kellin drove back home and helped Matty, put his things in the guest room.

“Where’s your mom?”

“I don’t know. Probably out on a date.”

“With who?”

“My dad.”

“Your dad?”

“Long story.” Matty nodded, not wanting to push the subject any further. “So you take these out to the backyard and I’ll grab some chips and then we can finally catch up on everything.” Once they were both comfortable and ready, Kellin said. “Where do we start?”

“Why’d you stop talking to everyone?” Matty replied instantly. “After Jesse’s funeral, you kind of just pushed everyone away to the point where we gave up, to give you space.” Kellin just shrugged. “Don’t shrug me off Kellin.”

“What do you want me to say?” Kellin replied plainly.

“The truth Kellin.” Kellin rolled in eyes and sighed. “What?”

“Nothing but I’m not gonna talk about this.”

“It’s not safe for you to bottle it up Kells. We know what happened, after. I don’t want you going through that again, attempting that again.” Matty saw Kellin grow tense.

“My mom should really mind her damn business. She shouldn’t have said shit to the school.”

“Don’t say that about your mom dude. We wanted to go visit you but she said it would be better to let you recover first. Since you were fragile at the moment, she didn’t want you to feel so sufficed. We waited though, we waited all the way to graduation and even then, you left without saying bye to anyone.” Matty took a few sips of his beer before continuing. “I contacted your mom after two years of trying to find you, because no one knew if you left for college or not, she reluctantly gave me your number and I’ve waited about a month to call you. I wanted to see you first but then Norman says you’ve moved, so then I called you and here we are.” He ended with a sigh. He turned to look at Kellin, who was fiddling with his the zipper of his sweater.

“Sorry?” Kellin whispered. He couldn’t think of what else to say. After a few minutes, he then said, “You know I’m not good with words.”

“It’s fine. You don’t need to say anything.”

“So, um, how’s everyone else?”

“Fine, or as fine as they can be. We all loved Jesse and sometimes it’s hard for the guys to accept that he’s gone.”

“Did they blame me?”

“No. no one was ever blaming you Kellin. You know how religious his parents are so they said that it was his time regardless if he was driving the car or walking down the stairs at home. They were upset but they believe he’s in a better place.” Matty moved closer to Kellin when he heard little sniffles. “Aw babe, don’t cry.” He said, pulling the younger boy closer to his side.

“B-but … if I had-n’t … he wou-wouldn’t … me!” Kellin cried out. “My side! My side!” Matty held Kellin closely, letting him cry. It hurt him to see his friend like this, blaming himself for something that was out of his control. Once he calmed down, Kellin said, “I want to see him. I wanna see Jesse’s … grave.”

“When?”

“How long are you staying?”

“Two weeks.”

“Then I’ll go with you then. Maybe … Maybe I might stay there for a few years.”

*

Vic sat on his bed as the phone rang. A few more seconds and finally, someone answered. “Hello, this is Ohio Mental Health Recovery, I’m Maddie, and how may I help you?”

“Uh, hi.” Vic replied. “I was wondering if Danielle Salazar is allowed to talk on the phone.”

“Let me check.” A few seconds of silence before the receptionist spoke again, “I’m sorry sir but Danielle Salazar was released two months ago.”

“Oh, do you know where she went?”

“I’m not allowed to give out that information sir.”

“It’s ok.” Vic replied with a sigh. “Thank you anyways.”

“Have a good evening sir.”

“Yeah you too.” Vic hung up and fell backwards on his bed, sighing. She was released two months ago. Maybe she did have a mental issue. Just then, there was a
knock on his door. “Come in.,” he said loudly.

“So Jaime’s girlfriend wants to take us to this new club.” Mike said as he stood against the doorframe.

“And?”

“And,” Mike said happily, “You should come. Get out the house for a bit and let loose.” Vic immediately shook his head no. “C’mon!” Mike whined, walking across the room and hitting Vic with the pillow.

“Ok, ok, stop!” Vic said, blocking himself from the abuse. “What kind of club is it?”

“A … um well see, it was just gonna be you and her while Tony, Jaime and I go to the one across the street.” Vic raised an eyebrow, confused by what his little brother was saying. “It may have slipped that you were being kind of sad lately so she wanted to take you to a gay bar to find a quick hook up.”

“No.” Vic said quickly. “I’m not going.”

“But you need to!”

“I don’t need to anything. Besides, I’m looking for Dani and I don’t have time t-.”

“Excuse me?” Mike interrupted. “You’re looking for her? Why?”

“Reasons.” Vic said plainly.

“Ok, but at least for tonight go out with Jess.”

“No.”

“I didn’t want to have to do this.” Mike said sadly.

“Do what?” Vic questioned. Mike walked out and returned with someone behind him. “Jesus Christ.” Vic muttered when he saw who it was.

“Now what’s this that you don’t want to go out with me, Vic? I thought we were homies.”

“A, I’m tired and b, don’t say ‘homies’.”

“Nope, we’re going out.” Jessica said as she looked through Vic’s closet for a nice shirt. “Mikey, plaid or plain?”

“What pants?”

“Black skinny jeans.”

“Plaid.”

“Aren’t I the gay one?”

“Oh hush, just because you’re gay doesn’t mean you’re suddenly a fashion guru. I’m surprised you can even get dressed decently.”

“I’m staying in no matter what you say.” Vic said grumpily.

*

A few hours later, Vic was grumpily standing in the corner of the club. He was dragged by his feet here. He has the marks to prove it.

“Come on Victor!” Jess shouted over the music as she sipped some fruity drink. “Have fun!” Vic rolled his eyes in response. “Fine! What if I dance with you instead?”

“I’m gay!” he shouted back.

“I’m not trying to get in your pants Fuentes but maybe some cute guy will come and start dancing with you. Please?” she begged. Vic sighed. He might as well try since she’s giving up her time to help him out. He stuck his hand out and she cheered in success. “Yay! Thank you babes!” Vic was pulled into the mass of human bodies, feeling the heat rise as he was pulled towards the middle.

After two songs of dancing with Jessica, he felt a tap on his shoulder so he looked back and was met with a very cute guy. “Mind if I have a dance?” Vic looked back at Jess who simply smiled and left. The guy turned around and began grinding on Vic. Vic placed his hands on the mysterious man’s hips, pulling him a bit closer. Next thing Vic knew, he was sitting at the bar next to the man. “I’m Alex, what’s your name?”

“Vic.” He replied, taking a sip of his drink. It was dangerously neon green but it tasted really good. Not too fruity, not too acoholy.

“So how are old are you Vic?”

“I’m twenty-five, how about you?”

“I’m twenty-five.” After a few minutes of silence, Alex said, “Why are you so quite?”

“Sorry, this just isn’t really my scene.”

“What is your scene then?”

“A gym.”

“Oh, a guy how works out. I like that. Why don’t I meet you at a gym and we can get to know each other?” Alex said, touching Vic’s arm lightly.

“I’m not really looking to date anyone at the moment.” Vic answered, moving his arm from Alex’s touch. “Sorry.”

“That’s fine.” Alex said with a hint of sadness in his voice. “I would still like to get to know you though; at least be friends. I just moved here from Maryland and I don’t know anyone.”

“Yeah, ok.” Vic said waving down the bar tender and asking for a pen and a napkin. “Here’s my number so just message me any time you wanna go to the gym.” He handed the napkin to Alex who smiled brightly.

“Thank you!”

“No problem.” Vic replied with a smile. “I’m gonna go look for my friend. It was nice meeting you.” He stuck his hand out but gasped in surprise when Alex hugged him instead. Vic awkwardly hugged him back. With that, he turned around and went to look for Jess, ready to go home.