Movin' on Up

The day he came home happy.

I can't believe this is happening...

When I was a little kid my mother talked about how she'd always dreamed of a BIG house, full of children. The latter part of her wish wasn't biologically possible after having a hysterectomy minutes after I was born.

Because of this I feel occasionally that I was given all the responsibilities to carry my parents dreams - the first starting with my name - my parents had opted not to know the sex and had two names Brennan and Bree, I got both - Brennan is my first name its a mix of my parents Brendan, my father, and my mother - Naja-Rose. They preferred to call me Bree for short though.

My mother since my birth and the realisation that her dream of a big family went down the pan had begun to rise in society with baking clubs, women's society meetings and PTA's in our suburban town, she hated the fact that she needed to fund raise my families contribution to the PTA while I was young, due to both of my parents pitiful wages at the time barely covering the bills.

She worked full time, until my dad got his big break when I was 10. Then she became one of the kept women in the town, but still not happy to live with very little liquidity in funds. Over the next 7 years my father worked harder and my Mother started to look up.
First she looked up etiquette classes which all three of us took and then junior cotillion classes - which involved her driving me to a gated community in Rhode Island once a week from Boston a whole two hours there and back, she would spend the hour I was there eating canapes with the other mothers and scouting for dream houses.

So last month, when my mum sat in the kitchen barely containing her nerves while making dinner, I knew something was up but at 17 had decided I didn't care. Then my father ran in leaving the door open and grabbed my mum and span her around the house in a surprising exciting manner - this got me interested. I followed them to the front room, father shut the front door and kissed mum passionately, my mother was now acting like a newly engaged woman.

'Harrumph' I cough to remind them I am here.

'Oh Brennan!' My mum giggles 'We've done it! Your fathers done it!' she kisses him again and he blushes against his mustache framed smile.

'GUYS! WHATS GOING ON?!' I shout above the excitement.

"Brennan I got made partner! a year earlier than the company had planned." my father smiles - he had worked hard for years learning law while we scraped by and then been hired as a 2nd year at Guvnor and Young when I was a child. He had been advancing slowly but had now been named as a partner of the firm.

'Oh Bree, this means we can move to our dream home!' Mom smiled.

'Cool, I'm so happy for you guys! You especially Dad! I can't wait to see the house, I hope its near school or you may need to get me a car' I giggle hinting, dad had promised when I was 18 I could have one.

'Brennan, I have a surprise!' he's glowing and runs to the front door and motions me to follow, mum is smiling and when they push me in front I see a cherry red convertible.. oh my god!

I'm about to turn and hug dad when he hands mum the keys and she runs towards HER NEW car, I look at dad who says, Bree you can have your mum's old car, a new driver doesn't need a nice car." he smiles and walks off. I look at my car and see what he means, I mean mum's car isn't crap its just old. I sigh and shrug it off everyone is happy and I'm not one of those girls who throws a hissy fit, I know that I was lucky to even get a car.

We all jump in the car and I smile, "Dad this is a lovely car but it rains here a lot..." I joke as mum buts in.

"Oh Bree! we're going to Cali, its the Golden State!" She smiles as she plays giddily with the mirror.

"Oh cool a road trip! That will be an awesome holiday!" I smile hugging my mum and then notice the look they give each other, "whats that about?" I ask.

"Er, Bree I'm the head of the Los Angeles Office... We're moving to Malibu." he says curtly.

FUCK! I promised I wouldn't ruin their mood! "Oh Cool, So we're moving there next year right?" I say hopefully.

"We're moving, next month. Before School starts." Mum says matter of fact and I let my facade slip as I groan.