Status: active

Smoking With Strangers

.one.

"Any chance I can bum one of those?"

I looked to the left, exhaling despite that I should've turned away so my smoke wouldn't be in his face, but he wanted one so cigarette smoke can't bother him that much, right?

"Sure." I passed my lighter and pack of cigarettes. He took one, lit it, then passed the pack and lighter back to me. Both returned to their place in my pocket.

"Thanks. Don't normally smoke," he said, inhaling deeply. He ran a hand through his hair.

"It's really none of my business if you do," I shrugged. "Clearly I can't judge."

He chuckled. "I'm Harry."

Reluctantly I replied, "Max," with a nod, wrapping my sweater more tightly around my body. "How the fuck is it so cold right now? I thought California was supposed to be warm."

"Not from here, then?"

"Doesn't really sound like you are either, mate."

Harry laughed, we were fully facing each other now, both of us leaning against the brick building. His hair was a mess of curls kept back by a bandanna. "Your accent was pretty good. You aren't from across the pond, are you?"

"Nah, I just pick up accents pretty well."

"You should be an actress, I imagine that would come in handy."

I laughed loudly and felt much more at ease. "No way, I'm not cool enough." I threw my cigarette on the ground and made sure the flame went out with my black boot. "I need to get back inside though, nice meeting you, Harry."

"You too, Max. Maybe I'll see you around."

~~~~~


"You're not feeling it, are you?"

I sighed. "Nope. I had an early morning and I've got another tomorrow."

Annie, my best friend, smiled. "Go ahead."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded. "You should leave now, though. Emma and Anna are heading back from the bar."

Emma Stone and Anna Kendrick were indeed coming back from the bar. Annie was right. If I was going to leave the club I needed to do it now.

"Tell them I said bye," I said, hugging Annie quickly.

I gathered my purse and headed straight for the door, keeping my head down to avoid anyone I knew. I nodded at the bouncer that opened the door and ducked my head down again, this time trying to avoid the flashes of cameras.

"Fuck, dude, sorry," I exclaimed, slamming into the man infront of me.

He turned around and I was surprised to see Harry was the one I ran into, and even more surprised to hear photographers shouting both of our names.

"Max, nice to see you again, love." He angled his body infront of mine, blocking me from being captured on camera.

"Harry, why are they saying your name?"

He blushed. "Uhm-"

"Maxine, how do you know Harry?"

His brow furrowed. "I think we both are missing a piece of this puzzle."

"Let's walk and talk," I suggested.

"You're brilliant. Now, for starters, what is it that you do?"

"I've been in a few movies."

"Which ones- Hey! You are a movie star!"

I laughed and looked at Harry briefly. "That's a stretch. But, I'm working on it. I was in Irrational Man, it recently came out."

"I'm proper embarrassed I didn't recognize you."

I shrugged. "I didn't recognize you. What is your claim to fame? I'm here," I added, leaning against my jeep.

"I'm in a band, One Direction."

I snorted, "Well I'm a fool." We turned into the parking lot, both of us chuckling. The photographers were still trailing us and the thought of what would be in the papers tomorrow was running through my mind.

"This is me."

Harry nodded, looking behind him as we stood beside the drivers side of my jeep.

"You alright to leave, love?"

"There aren't that many, I'll be fine," I replied. Harry nodded and it was clear neither of us really knew what to do at this point. The longer we stood here the more photos were being taken. "O.K., well bye."

Harry laughed harder than he had earlier and ran his hand through his messy hair while I unlocked my jeep.

"Bye, Maxine."

I shut my door and started my car, eager to get home and get in bed. Despite how long it took to get out of the parking lot, I made good time as soon as I wasn't battling not running anyone over. I was home, sans make-up and face washed, by one. Once I set my alarm I had no problem falling fast asleep.

~~~~~


"Fancy seeing you here," a British voice sing-songed.

I turned around, knowing Harry was behind me. "What's up, Styles?"

"I'm starving. Gem, this is Maxine Green, Maxine, my sister Gemma."

"Max," I corrected.

"I know who she is, twat. She was in Pitch Perfect Two, you know I'm rather obsessed with Anna Kendrick."

"You didn't mention Pitch Perfect," Harry said with a smirk. "Irrational Man was very interesting, though. It was a great film, dark though."

"You watched it?" I was surprised to hear that. I don't know what would make Harry watch my movie. I certainly hadn't listens to One Direction. The only song I really knew was What Makes You Beautiful.

"He watched it and then made me watch it when I got into town. I'm sure he has had the lads watch it as well," Gemma laughed.

Harry's smirked. "I am doing wonders for your career, ten percent, love."

I laughed. "You'll have to take that up with management."

"Would you care to join us for lunch?" Harry asked.

Before I could explain I was meeting someone, a familiar voice interupted. "Yes. Gemma, I'm obsessed with your style. I'm Annie, Max's bestie. Hi Harry."

"Wow, Annie, way to not let people introduce themselves," I exclaimed.

"That's what happens when you're famous," she shrugged.

Harry and Gemma laughed good naturedly. I was glad it didn't make them uncomfortable, or that if they were they at least were really great at hiding it. Harry, Annie, and Gemma sat down at the table with me, Annie beside me and Harry across. I took a sip from my glass of Chardonnay and listened to Annie ramble about L.A. traffic.

We made small talk, getting to know a little about each other but keeping everything light-hearted. Gemma was so funny and beautiful. Harry was funny and sweet, very charming. It didn't feel like I was having lunch with an international sensation, but rather a normal guy my age.

"Do you have any projects coming up, Maxine?" Harry asked.

"Well I'm doing some promotion for Dark Places, a film paced off Gillian Flynn's novel. Nothing active, currently. I'm scouring for roles right now."

"What makes you choose the roles you do?" Gemma asked.

"Well," I said, taking a moment to think about how I wanted to phrase my answer. "I don't take just everything that's thrown at me. I think the first factor is the story. If it isn't something engaging then I won't even consider it. Next is the character either I'm being asked to audition for or am wanting to audition for. There have been a few scripts I've loved but passed up because the character isn't the one I want to play."

"She's very particular and doesn't mind being vocal about that," Annie said.

"Do you live in L.A. As well, Annie?" Harry asked.

"No, New York. I work in fashion. I was just in town for the weekend."

"You should have said we were interrupting a good-bye lunch," Gemma exclaimed.

"Please," I said rolling my eyes, "Annie would have sat with you two if I had said no."

"She isn't totally wrong," Annie shrugged.

"So how did you meet Harry?"

Harry and I both chuckled. "I had stepped outside for a smoke and he bummed a cigarette from me. We actually had no idea who the other was until we were leaving at the same time and the paparazzi was calling both our names."

"God, Max, you would be clueless when meeting a member of a ridiculously successful, popular band," Annie laughed.

"It was rather nice. Not everyday that I run into a fit girl that doesn't want my autograph and a picture."

We moved on to other topics, Gemma and Annie getting lost in a conversation about some of the projects Annie was working on.

"They get on well," Harry smiled.

"They do," I agreed. "So, how long are you in L.A. for?"

"A month before I start doing actual work. It's ace to have that long off," he replied, running a hand through his hair.

"Yeah, I bet so. I mean you guys have been working pretty hard for years now, right?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I'm grateful for all our success, don't get me wrong. Once we have some time off is really when I realize how much I needed it."

"What are you lot doing for the rest of the day?" Gemma asked, breaking up mind and Harry's conversation.

"I'm heading to the airport. I actually need to leave soon," Annie said, checking her watch.

"I'll sulk at home and watch Netflix," I replied honestly.

"Why don't you come to my house?" Harry asked. "Some friends are coming over and we'll cook meats and things on the grill."

"Oh do," Gemma exclaimed. "If will be so much more fun if you come!"

"I don't want to intrude," I said, suddenly feeling shy.

"Don't be mad," Harry replied. "It will be a great time."

I shrugged. "Maybe."

Annie rolled her eyes. "Max is an aggressively shy person despite being in a business where she is constantly forced to talk to people."

"Listen, I've got to run," Gemma said. "I was supposed to meet Cara at the spa ten minutes ago. It was great meeting you Annie, I hope to see you tonight, Max."

"I've gotta get going, too. I love you," Annie said, pulling me into a hug. "Great meeting you both. Let me get some money to leave," Annie said, digging through her purse.

"I've got it," Harry and I said simultaneously.

Annie laughed. "Well, I assume one of you has it at least. Bye guys!"

Annie and Gemma left, leaving Harry and I at the table alone together.

"Aggressively shy, eh?"

I blushed lightly and shrugged. "Yeah, I dunno. Mainly it's more of a problem in larger groups."

"My mates are nice, though."

I laughed. "Do I know anyone?"

"Seeing as we just met, love, I don't know who it is you know. Cara Delvigne will be there, Emma Watson, a few non-famous friends, uh I think Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone-"

"Oh, I know them!"

"So you're coming then, yeah?"

I looked at Harry. "Only under the condition that you'll pick me up from my house so I can drink as much as I want and not worry about driving."

"Deal," he said immidiately.

"O.K.," I agreed. "I'll come."

"Brilliant! Now, I can pay, then we'll go to your house, we probably have time to hang out a bit before going to the store and getting everything we'll need for tonight."

I laughed. "What? How did me agreeing to this party turn into us hanging out all day?"

Harry looked at me like I was talking crazy. "It's not a party, love. Just a small gathering. Second, we are getting to know each other and I think we will be great mates so I want to spend the day with you and you aren't allowed to complain about it. I'm buying your lunch after all, it's only fair."

I raised my eyebrows. "I have a lot of thoughts about all that."

"Yeah? Such as?"

"Anything else?" The server asked, interrupting us.

"No, we're set," Harry said, pulling out a credit card and handing it over, not bothering to look at the bill. "What are your thoughts?"

"Well, just because you bought lunch doesn't mean I owe you anything, including hanging out."

"You're completely right," Harry agreed. "You don't have to hang out with me, but I would really like it if you did."

I held Harry's gaze for a few minutes. "Alright, Styles. I'll spend the day with you."

~~~~~


"When is the last time you went to the grocery store?" I asked when Harry came back with a second cart because we has filled one completely.

Harry shrugged. "I haven't had a lot of down time at my house here in awhile. Normally during time off I'm home in England."

"Hadn't thought about that," I said thoughtfully.

"Sometimes there is a method to my madness, love." Harry said. "Now, what kind of dessert should we get?"

So we spent the next hour finishing up with groceery shopping, then the liquor store, and finally, finally to Harry's house. I got to work putting up groceries while Harry began chopping various vegetables for later.

"Thanks for your help. You should go ahead and make yourself a strong drink," Harry suggested. "What's your preferred liquor?"

"Whiskey," I answered while pouring a healthy amount of liqour in a glass.

"Are you a hamburger or a hot dog peraon?"

I laughed. "Hot dogs, definitely. I love hot dogs so much."

"Oi, Harry, did you get chips? I can't have burgers without chips," a loud blonde shouted.

"Got 'em," I confirmed for Harry.

"Niall, this is Maxine. Max-"

"I go by Max, thanks," I said, rolling my eyes at Harry.

Niall smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Great to meet ya, love!"

"Anyone with you?" Harry asked.

"Liam and Sophia should be walking in any minutes now."

"Cara, too," another member of One Direction, Liam Payne said. The girl beside him, Sophia I assumed, waved. Another famous face, Cara Delvigene walked in as well.

"Well grab a drink," Harry said. "I'll be out in a moment, will one of you lot start the grill?"

"On it," Liam said, walking out. Everyone migrated outside, a few others making their way in as well.

"Maxine?"

"Yeah?"

"You don't have to keep me company."

I sucked down the rest of my drink and quickly made another. I walked outside, looking for someone to start a conversation with.

"Max," Gemma called. "Hullo again!"

I smiled, thankful. "Hey."

"Max, this is Cara, Sophia, and Janie."

"Nice tommeet you all," I replied shyly.

"How did you meet Harry?" Cara asked.

I laughed and launched into the story easily. The story was a funny one and I've always thought laughter was an easy way to get comfortable with people. We all got along well, the conversation kept pretty light. The girls all stopped to fill me in on specifics of stories about people I didn't know.

To my surprise, I didn't feel out of place at all. A few of them had seen Irrational Man, most of them had seen Pitch Perfect and teased about me being on a One Direction song.

"One dog or two?" A raspy voice asked.

"Two please, I'll come with you," I said, excusing myself from my conversation with Niall, Cara, and Andrew.

"See? Told you my mates are nice."

"Very nice," I agreed. "Thanks for inviting me."

"'M glad you're comfortable," Harry said through a mouthful of burger. "You need another drink?"

"Yeah, please."

Harry took my glass and went inside. I finished my dinner and set my plate on the table. Everyone seemed to have set down with their legs in the pool. People that brought suits were in the pool, fooling around. The all seemed to get along great, even if they didn't know each other so well.

"Here you are."

"Thanks, Harry."

"Hazza, you lot come hang with the rest of us," Louis called.

Harry sighed with feigned exasperation as we made our way over to the pool. I didn't hesitate to dip my own feet in the pool. It was heated and though it wasn't too warm it kept you from getting chilly in the fall air.

"So, Janie, what is it you do?" Harry asked.

"Nothing quite as exciting as all of you," she replied. "I'm in real estate."

"She found my place," Emma said.

"Are most of your clients celebrities?" I asked.

"Not all, but a good amount. It's very expensive to buy a home in L.A., as you may know. I deal with higher end clients."

We went around discussing our various jobs, schedules, and the more we drank the more we began touching on our hopes for the future.

"I want to make a difference," Harry said. "I want to make the peoples lives around me better."

"Me too," I sighed, laying down on my side. The top of my head touched the side of Harry's left leg. His hand soon wandered into my hair.

"Maxine, love, wake up."

"Not asleep." I opened my eyes and understood how quiet it was outside. I sat up and saw that only Harry was outside with me.

"Not asleep, huh?"

I blushed. "Oops. Sorry."

"It isn't a problem. Everyone else has claimed a bedroom though, they doubled up. You can take my room and I'll sleep on the couch," he said, leading me inside.

"Don't be ridiculous. Make sure all the doors are locked," I cautioned.

Harry laughed and did as I asked, leading me to his room.

"Can I borrow a shirt or something?"

"Not one for sleeping in the nude?" Harry teased.

"Harry we've only just met!"

"I told you I would take the couch."

"And I told you not to be ridiculous. Besides, your bed is big. Now give me a shirt to sleep in and get in bed."

"Proper bossy for us only just meeting," Harry said, handing me a white v-neck.

I ignored him, walking into the bathroom connected to his room and making myself at home. I threw a messy top knot in my hair and pulled on his shirt, leaving my clothes in a pile on the floor. Once I used the bathroom and washes my hands, I walked out and got into bed. I scooted so there wasn't much space between the two of us.

"You look good in my shirt," Harry mumbled, sleepily.

"I look good in most things."

Harry laughed, more alert. "You're right about that love, right about that."