Status: active

Smoking With Strangers

.three.

"So, elephant in the room..."

"You're ridiculous," I said, rolling my eyes at Annie over the phone.

"I'm just saying! You two have been on all the gossip rags for three days now."

There was a lot of speculation about what happened at the beach. Mainly about just what the nature of mine and Harry's relationship was exactly, what we had been fighting about to make me cry so much, and, because they can't resist making a sensation about a woman out in public without makeup, how I looked when we left after I had washed my mascara off.

"My eyes were irritated. I didn't know we would be going to the beach or I never would've worn makeup in the first place."

"So you and Harry are...?"

"Jesus, Annie!" I rolled my eyes. "I liked it better when we lived on the same coast and you didn't believe everything you read."

She laughed. "I'm teasing, loosen up. When is your shoot?"

"In an hour."

"With who?"

"Revlon."

"Oooh, get me some freebies!"

"Will do," I agreed. "What about your life? Boys? Work?"

Annie laughed. "I have zero time for boys. I'm so busy. Fashion Week is next month and I'm finalizing and changing designs. I really hope some of my designs will make it in the show."

"Who decides?"

"Sandy," she said, referring to her employer. "If one of my designs makes it in the show this could be a really great way for me to get exposure and maybe start my own line."

"I cannot wait for you to start your own line. Speaking of-"

"Max, you aren't," Annie said, her tone growing serious. She knew what was coming.

"I totally forgot about the awards show, is the thing. Like, totally forgot. Jackson called me yesterday and told me I would be presenting an award and-"

"When is it?"

"I need an outfit two weeks from now. Nothing fancy, it's just the MTV music awards." This definitely wasn't the first time I've waited until the last minute to tell Annie I wanted her to design an outfit for me.

"You are so incredibly lucky that you're my best friend and I adore you."

"I knowwwww," I said, a huge smile on my face. "You're the best person in my life!"

"Yeah, yeah. Listen, I need to go. I'll call you next week and keep you updated about the outfit."

"You're the best, bye!"

We hung up the phone and I saw I had several texts from Harry.

Niall and I are going to lunch, wanna come?

Maxineeeee?

I'll be at your place in ten minutes.

Because I decided you're coming.


I rolled my eyes and picked up my bag. The two idiots should be here any moment. Harry's Range Rover pulled up right after I locked the door.

"Hi, Maxine," Harry said, a stupid smile on his face.

"You're such a pest. Where's Niall?" I asked, standing beside his window.

"Meeting him there, hop in."

"I've got to be at a photo shoot in an hour."

"I'll make sure you're there in an hour," Harry replied. "That is, if you hurry up and get in the bloody car."

"What about getting home? Are you just going to stay the entire shoot? It could take hours."

Harry rolled his eyes. He propped his head on his arms and leaned slightly out the window. "Maxine, love, I've done plenty of photo shoots the past five years, I know how long they can take. Now get in the car and have some lunch before we go to your shoot."

I rolled my eyes and got in the car with Harry.

"How has your day been?"

"Good, good. Lads and I had a radio interview this morning. They asked about the nature of our relationship."

"What did you say? Annie was giving me the third degree about those damn gossip rags."

"Told 'em the truth. Least you're getting some publicity out of this."

I glanced over at Harry, shocked. He hadn't looked away from the road, his stance relaxed as ever. A frown settled on my face as I replayed Harry's words in my mind.

Does he actually think I would just hang around him for publicity? Really? I didn't even recognize him when we first met.

"Maxine? Maxie, we're here."

I glanced up at Harry, who looked at me with a concerned frown on his face.

"Sorry, space cadet," I shrugged.

I hopped out of the car, ignoring Harry and the few photographers that were following us. I stayed a few steps ahead of Harry, wishing I had drove myself and trying to come up with a way for Harry not to hang around my shoot later.

"What took so long?" Niall whined. "Max!"

I wrapped my arms around Niall. "Hiiiii."

"Wish I would have gotten that warm of a greeting. I got stubborn and sulky," Harry said, his normal teasing smirk on his face.

"Imagine that's how most birds are around you, mate," Niall joked.

The conversation was light and teasing, it allowed me to feel less tense about what Harry said, but nothing would make me feel better about him saying it.

"I think Liam has plans to see Zayn tonight."

"Yeah?" Harry asked, fiddling with his lower lip. "Good. I'd like to see him myself, probably not tonight though."

"Have any of you guys seen him?"

"Louis and Liam ran into him somewhere," Niall said.

"We've all been texting. It's not uncomfortable any more," Harry said, shrugging.

"Up for the beach?" Niall asked, standing from the table.

"Maxine has a photo shoot," Harry answered.

"You could meet Niall after you drop me off," I offered, hoping he would take the out.

"Maybe," Harry said with a noncommittal shrug.

"Good luck," Niall said, giving me a quick hug. He waved at Harry, then stepped outside, moving relatively quickly through the small crowd.

"C'mon, love," Harry said, gently pushing me forward. I shook myself from my thoughts and followed Harry to the car. He opened my door to which I rolled my eyes as I got in and buckled up.

"Alright, what is it?" Harry asked, starting the car and backing out of the parking spot.

"What is what?"

"You were quieter than usual during lunch and you only ate a salad. You don't even really like salads."

"Kale salads are really good!"

"You ate romaine. Actually, what you did is pick at romaine."

"You're so nosey! You like, collect all these nosey details so you can go around being nosey!" I shouted at a stop light.

Immidiately I knew how ridiculous I sounded.

Harry looked over at me, his jaw open and eyes wide. Then he started laughing at me. Then I started laughing with him.

"You're quite elegant," Harry said, catching his breath.

"Hurry, you said I would be on time and we have four minutes."

"I will get you there in three."

I rolled my eyes, but Harry managed it. We walked in with him telling me to stop being such a worry wart all the time and to have a little faith.

"Hi, Max. Our- oh!"

"Harry, this is Cameron, my make-up lady slash really good friend. Cam, this is Harry Styles."

"Nice to meet you," she said, shaking his hand. "Let's get you in a chair so I can do hair and make-up." Cam has been doing make-up in L.A. long enough that she was only really surprised when she met a celebrity unexpectedly. Which isn't to say there are a few people who she would freak out over no matter what, because there definitely were, but not many.

Harry started talking to some of the people on set, friendly as ever. "He would talk to a brick wall."

"He's nice, I know you try to avoid social situations at all costs, but not everyone is a bitter ball of perfection."

I smiled up at Cameron. "You right."

"How did you meet him anyway?"

I laughed. "Actually I just ran into him a few times and he decided that meant we were friends and would hang out all the time."

"What Maxine is leaving out is that we're best friends," Harry said from behind me. I met his eyes in the mirror.

"We don't have friendship necklaces. Can't be best friends without best friend necklaces," I said, sticking out my tongue.

Harry grabbed my tongue, I squealed and Cam smacked his hand away, telling him to go elsewhere so we could get this show on the road.

"How much longer in hair and make-up?"

"Just doing her lips now, then we're ready," she called back.

"Excellent, let's get this show on the reaod, people!"

~~~~~


"That was rather dull," Harry said once we were in the car and he was navigating back to my flat.

"I know," I yawned. "I'm so sleepy after those things. I need a nap."

"No way, we have to do something fun!"

I looked at Harry, completely bewildered. "I know you have other friends in this town."

"Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon?"

"No?"

"Let's go. We can stay overnight and this can be a proper road trip. Pleaseeee, Maxie? It will be so much fun!"

"Harry-"

"Do you have any prior job-related obligations?"

I sighed. "Not until Monday."

"Then it's settled," Harry said, smiling at me.

"Fuck it," I shrugged. "Let's take a road trip."

~~~~~


"I found Tom Petty," I exclaimed. "This definitely makes this a worthy investment."

"Put it in," Harry replied. "And I won't have you speaking about Gertrude that way, ignore her, baby." Harry stroked the truck's dashboard as he spoke to it.

I laughed and popped in the cassette. The truck was an old, old model, not in the best condition but a pretty light blue all the same. No air conditioning, bench seat, and a cassette player, and a case of casettees thrown in for thirty dollars extra, Harry decided he was buying it and this would be our road trip truck.

And just how did he find the truck?

Social media of course. He tweeted about our adventure and that he was looking to buy a truck.

"Gertrude?"

"People name these sorts of trucks, don't they? She's definitely a Gertrude."

I thought about it a few moments. "Definitely a Gertrude."

"So, once we're in the desert I thought we could pull over and lay in the truck bed and stargaze."

"Blankets?"

"We'll stop for it. Maybe we should do that soon before we're away from everything."

"Probably a good idea. Let's stop at a Target."

Harry laughed. "Such a bird, always wanting to go to a Target. I could take you to England and you would still want to visit a Target."

"Well, I wouldn't mind seeing a BritishTarget," I admitted grudgingly.

"We can stop wherever you want," Harry said.

I looked out the window, listening to Tom Petty and taking in my surroundings. It was beautiful and II bet it only gets better the closer it gets to sunset. I realized quite suddenly how glad I was to be on this trip. Annie and I used to do spontaneous road trips all the time. It wasn't until now that I realized how much I missed that.

Being able to just disappear, no one knowing my name or face...

"Your voice is beautiful."

"Hmm?"

"You sing Tom Petty beautifully."

"Thanks," I muttered.

"What's on your mind?" Harry asked, taking an exit. I looked at the GPS to learn it was guiding us to the nearest Target.

"Do you ever just wish you could disappear?"

"Sometimes," he replied. "Not as often as you may think with my level of... Notiriaty."

"That's good. I think that's a sign you're living the life you should. Like, you don't wanna just disappear too frequently."

"I think so, too. What about you? Do you wish you could disappear frequently?"

I paused, taking a minutes to think about it. "No. Not very often."

Harry pulled into the parking lot, ending out conversation. We got out of Gertrude and I led the way into the store.

"We should probably get a few essentials since someone wouldn't let us pack," I said pointedly.

"It wouldn't be as spontaneous if we had packed things we need!"

"You spent an hour and a half looking for a truck, dude."

"You know, you can really drive me mad sometimes," Harry said. But when I looked at him, he was smiling. He gently pushed me forward. "Now, show me the wonders Target holds."

~~~~~


"That one has to be one of those dippers," I said, pointing at a constellation.

Harry laughed. "One of those dippers?"

"Yeah, ya know, the dippers."

"I know the dippers," Harry agreed, chuckling. "I couldn't point them out if I had to, though."

"We should take a constellation class. Wouldn't that be fun? Then while other people just point out the dippers we can point out other cool stuff."

"Didn't realize you were a constellation hipster," Harry teased.

"Clearly you know absolutely nothing about me."

"Not true, I know some things. Warm enough?" Harry asked, pulling the blanket we shared higher so it was up to my chin.

"Yeah. You were right about three blankets."

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" Harry asked, suddenly.

"Two brothers, both older."

"Did they take the piss out of your boyfriends growing up?"

I laughed. "Yeah. Marty was quarterback and man, all I had to do was mention Marty when someone got out of line... Matt is the middle kid. He's two years older than me."

"Do you miss your family? I'm assuming they aren't in L.A.?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Mom is in Wasbington State and Dad is in Georgia, Marty is in Chicago, and Matt is in New York. I think he and Annie have something going on between them, actually. They spend a lot of time together and they live in the same building, too."

"Would you be upset if they did have something going on?"

"Not at all," I shook my head.

"I'm not sure how I would feel if Gemma had a thing with one of my best mates. I wouldn't want to hear about any of if."

I laughed. "Well, I guess that could be a drawback. Definitely don't want to hear about my brother's sex life."

"So, we should probably get back on the road. Find a motel or something for the night."

"It's so nice out, though. Let's just sleep out here."

"What? Seriously?"

"I mean, we definitely don't have to," I said, looking up at Harry.

"No, no. I'm just surprised you would want to? I don't know why... Yeah, we can sleep out here."

So, we repositioned a little so there was more cushion for our heads and I moved a little closer to Harry for his warmth.

"I've never slept in the bed of a truck in the desert in Arizona before."

I laughed loudly. "Me either. But it's so cool that we are. I hope no one kills us."

"What is wrong with you?"

I shrugged. "It's a legitimate concern."

"Yet you're still willing to sleep out here?"

"I don't know that I'll be able to sleep, but I'll at least spend the night under stars, which is something I've never done but always wanted to."

Harry didn't say anything and for a long time we laid listening to the noise of all the things alive and awake that surrounded us. Then Harry started humming, and it was soft and soothing, and exactly what I needed to fall asleep.