Status: active

Smoking With Strangers

.four.

"There is not a single soul I would rather be here with," Harry said softly. It was the first sentence either of us had spoken since we arrived at the Grand Canyon an hour before.

We made good time on the road, making it in right after two. We had walked on the skywalk, explored separately and together, then found a nice spot with a great view to sit down at.

"It's so beautiful," I sighed. "I think I could live here."

"I could definitely live here."

"So, what's our plan?"

Harry laughed. "Maxine, my plan was to get you to go on this road trip by whatever means necessary and make it to the Grand Canyon. And we've done that, so, what do you have in mind?"

I paused. "Well, I have some friends in Arizona. How do you feel about heading towards Phoenix?"

"Sounds lovely."

Harry stood and offered his hand. I grabbed on and pulled myself up, dusting the back of my pants off once I had my balance.

~~~~~


"Harry, hurry up!"

"You know, you're acting just like the stereotypical man. I'm trying to fix my hair." I scoffed, looking at Harry who was peeking out of the bathroom.

"You look fineeeee."

Harry rolled his eyes and stepped out of the bathroom. He was only in black skinny jeans and black socks, his hair still slightly damp. I allowed my eyes to wander down his chest.

"You look fit," Harry said.

"Thanks." I looked in the mirror once more. I adjusted my hair slightly. I wore black high-waisted shorts and a charcoal v-neck.

"Will I be mobbed?"

"No," I laughed. "I mean, I don't think so."

Harry's long fingers worked their way up the buttons on his shirt. When he was done he eyed me. "You aren't very reassuring."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll protect you."

"Ready, love?"

"Yup, buttercup."

Harry and I walked to the hotel's parking deck and got in Gertrude. For twenty minutes we made small talk while Harry drove. When we got to the bar, the parking lot was nearly full, but Harry managed to find a place.

"S'busy," Harry mumbled.

I linked arms with him and walked towards the door.

"License please," the bouncer said.

"Any cover, mate?"

"Not tonight." I stuck my I.D. back in my wallet, leading us inside the bar. It was loud inside, a band in the middle of a set on stage. I looked closely enough to make sure it wasn't John before I dragged Harry towards the bar.

"I'm excited to meet your mates," Harry said.

"I'm so excited to see them. It's been a pretty long time, actually. What do you want to drink?"

"You aren't paying," Harry said, pulling out his wallet and moving slightly infront of me.

"You know I don't need you to pay for every-"

"I do know. Two whiskey and cokes, please." Harry looked at me smugly once the bartender walked away.

"Pardon her manners, she never has been polite."

"Stubborn as a bloody mule. I'm Harry."

John smiled, having the decency not to point out that he knew who Harry was. "John O'Callaghan. Now, how the hell are you?" John wrapped his arms around me and picked me up, spinning in a circle. I squealed and buried my face in John's neck, deeply inhaling his familiar scent.

"I miss you so much!"

"Back at ya. The guys are dying to see you, c'mon."

Harry and I followed John to a corner where the rest of the guys were. I only noticed a few people looking at Harry.

"Hiiiii!"

One by one I hugged all the guys, exchanging hellos and how are yous. "Guys, this is Harry Styles. He's the reason we're here. We roadtripped to the Grand Canyon."

"What did you think?" Pat asked.

"Stunning," Harry said with a grin.

"How long are you two in town for?"

"We'll leave in the morning," I replied.

"Well, we need to get to know your travel companion while we can," John said, cracking his knuckles. "Harry, what are your intentions with Maxine?"

I rolled my eyes, not nothing to intervene. It was funny to watch everyone act so ridiculous, and Harry took everything in stride. Pat and Jared were the only ones making regular conversation.

The interrogation couldn't last too long though, because after half an hour the guys had to start getting ready for their set.

"What's the deal with you and John?"

"What?" I asked, surprised, taking my drink from Harry.

"It's obvious something is or was there. Which one is it?"

"Was?" I said, though it sounded unsure. "So, I met John when I was nineteen. I lived in Tempe for six months-"

"You lived this close to the Grand Canyon and never bothered to visit?" Harry asked, baffled.

I shrugged. "It was before I really made it and I was moving from one place to the other working. Doing touristy things wasn't exactly a viable option."

Harry nodded. "O.K. you met John when you moved to Tempe?"

"Yeah, I was working at this dive bar across town. John and the guys came in. They did some shows there and drank quite a bit there. I got to know them tat way and we just clicked from there. He's one of my best friends."

"I feel like there's more to it."

"God, dude, I stand by my assertion that you're nosey."

Harry grinned. "I am."

"John and I used to fool around. Purely sex, like I said, he's my best friend. After I moved we've slept together a couple of times but we aren't often in the same town."

"Should I get another hotel room?" Harry asked, rather seriosuly.

I rolled my eyes. "No. Now hush it, they're about to start."

~~~~~


"John," I groaned, rolling my hips into his. His hands grilled my hips tighter while his mouth worked on my neck. "Fuck."

"Mm baby, cum for me. You're so close, I just want to feel you cum all over my thick cock."

John's fingers slipped down, over my clit, causing me to cum instantly. John's growl told me he was right behind me and he quickly pulled out.

I threw my head back against the door, panting heavily.

"You're perfect. Always so perfect," John sighed, kissing my shoulder as he pulled his pants back up.

"I need another drink." I straightened out my hair and clothes, knowing there was nothing I could do about my flushed face and lips.

"Think they noticed?" John asked, leading me out of the bathroom. I was drunk. I fucked John in the bathroom. I would probably think about how stupid that was later, but right now I was just happy to have had three orgasms during a quickie.

"I hope not. Whiskey and coke, please."

"Same," John agreed.

Once we got our drinks we joined up with the rest of the guys. We were all pretty drunk and pro ably needed to go home.

"Hi," I sighed, sitting down beside Harry. The couch was crowded so our legs touched, and I was drunk so I leaned against his shoulder.

"Tired?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, closing my eyes.

The next thing I knew I was being woken up by Harry. "We need to go, love."

"Hmm?"

"You fell asleep," Jared explained.

"Couple birds recognized me, saw you. We should go before anyone takes pictures of you passed out," Harry said, helping me up.

"Aww, bye y'all. I hope you guys come to L.A. soon," I whined, hugging Kennedy.

"We'll try and make it," Pat agreed.

"It was great meeting you, dude," John said, clapping a hand on Harry's back.

"You too, mate. Let's get together and play sometime."

"Definitely," Garret agreed.

Harry ushered me to the truck, opening the door and getting me into the truck before he got in.

"That was so fun. I'm so glad that I got to hang out with you and the guys."

"They seem like great people," Harry said.

"They are."

"I have to say though, I'm thoroughly impressed right now, Maxine. I didn't have you pegged as adventurous enough for sex in a bar bathroom."

I blushed. "Oh my god, you knew?" Harry laughed, making my blush a thousand times worse.

"Yeah, your hair was all missed you and you have a love bite on your neck."

"Ugh."

"I'm just taking the piss, no judgement here," Harry assured me.

"Thanks." If I wasn't drunk I would probably feel a little more embarrassed. As it was, I just felt sleepy.

~~~~~


"Morning sunshine," Harry grinned, his face centimeters from mine.

"You're such a creep," I accused, rolling across the bed.

He shrugged. "Time to hop out of bed."

"Is it really, or is it early as fuck and you're just a weirdo?" I began sitting up, not waiting for his answer because I knew it wouldn't matter. Harry would make me get out of bed.

I grabbed my clothes from last night and slipped them back on, brushing my teeth.

"What's the plan?"

"I figured we would head in the direction of home, stop somewhere did food along the way. Or if you want to stop somewhere specific, food or anything, say so. I'm in no hurry."

"Cool," I agreed, grabbing my purse. Harry and I gathered all our belongings and checked out of the hotel. I saw I had a text from John.

'It was wonderful to see you, as always. You blow me away, always. xxx'

'You too. Have a good your, btw. Don't think I said it last night.'

His response came quickly. 'Thanks, doll.'

"Finally," I exclaimed. I threw my phone carelessly in my purse.

"I guess I was gone awhile." Harry pulled into the street, us staying failrly silent until be bit the highway.

"Do you ever miss home?"

"Home like my house in L.A. or home like my house in England or home like my mum's house?"

I looked out the window, beautiful scenery passing by us. "Any of those three."

"I miss home like my mum's house in England. I'm not sure I really miss either of the other two. But I miss, like, this idea of mum's..."

"Like how it felt when you were a kid... Like it doesn't feel the exact same anymore," I said.

"Exactly," Harry nodded.

"Vonnegut wrote this really beautiful bit about that. To paraphrase, he said home was being a boy in Indiana with his parents and siblings. He won't have that feeling ever again, as an adult."

"God, that's depressing."

"True though."

"Do you ever miss home?"

"Home in what sense?" I asked with a grin.

"Any," Harry said wryly.

"No. I'm with Vonnegut about that. It can't be the same as it was."

"Nothing feels like home to you?"

I paused. I really tried to think of what felt like home. "Not really. I mean, maybe being with Annie or John, but I don't really think that's the case."

"That seems sad."

"I dunno. It's fine. Do you have a lady in your life?"

Harry shrugged. "Nah, nothing serious."

"What does that mean?"

"I have a few Johns myself."

"Ohh," I nodded.

"It's kind of hard to have a relationship with my job. I mean, I know some of the guys do, but it just hasn't worked out for me yet," he said, not seeming all that bothered by his reality.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I haven't tried to do a serious relationship in awhile."

"Why haven't you and John ever dated?"

"John and I have a really great relationship that is also kind of toxic. We allow each other to totally consume every aspect of the others life, ya know? Like, John is one of my best friends, and absolutely amazing in bed, but it just isn't healthy."

Harry nodded. "I get it."

"Ooh, let's go to a botanical garden!"

"Did you see a sign for one?" Harry asked, confused.

"No but I'm sure we could fine one along the way."

"If you find it I'll get us there," Harry offered. "How do you feel about stopping in Vegas?"

"Yes! I've never been to a casino."

"Brilliant."

~~~~~


"Maxine," Harry called. I looked over, he had gotten much closer to me, doubling the people surrounding me.

Throughout the trio we've been pretty lucky as far as crowds of fans. There had been one here or there, but walking around Vegas had completely destroyed that record. We had lunch at a downtown restaurant and had been met with a crowd of fans when we walked out.

"Yeah?"

"We're going to be late," he said pointedly.

"Oh! Yes! I'm sorry, we have to go," I said, quickly signing a few last autographs. I guess I took a little too long, because Harry put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me along through the crowd.

"Ohhh yesss," Harry mimicked me. "You are as subtle as a bull in a china shop. I'm impressed you're an actress."

I stuck out my tongue, jumping back when a phone was stuck in my face.

"This sucks," I muttered, retreating into Harry's side.

"It does," Harry nodded, tightening his grip around me.

Once we made it back to our hotel a few staff members escorted us upstairs after Harry quickly explained the situation.

"Think we'll be able to leave ever again?"

Harry laughed. "I'm sure we will. Just maybe only within the hotel."

"I wish we could just be normal for awhile."

"Next time we go somewhere we won't stop in any big cities."

"Next time?"

"Yes," Harry said, his tone implying I was being an idiot. "I told you, we're best friends. We'll take more trips."

"I told you that we don't have friendship necklaces," I replied.

"You just like to wound me," Harry said, throwing his arm across his forehead dramatically. "Plenty of girls out there would build my ego, not try and cut me down."

"Plenty of girls would try and tie you down and never leave their room," I shot back.

Harry wiggled his eyebrows. "With the right girl, I might not mind."

"Oh my gosh," I laughed and threw a pillow at Harry.

"So what now? We should probably stay here, at least for a while."

I grinned. "Have you ever seen Vegas Vacation?" Harry looked blankly at me. "Chevy Chase?"

"No, I haven't."

"Perfect! Vegas Vacation is how we will fill our time, my friend."

~~~~~


"Is it totally lame if we don't leave this room?"

I looked at Harry. "Nope. I mean, we have food, booze, and movies right here. What do we really need to leave for?"

Plus we shouldn't leave the room. We had been drinking steadily since we arrived at the hotel, having a full stocked mini bar in our room. We were both drunk.

"You are absolutely right," Harry said, his speech slow and slightly slurred. He laid his head against mine. "I wish we never had to go home."

"Me too," I agreed. "It's so easy to hang out with you."

"Back at ya," Harry mumbled. "Want to dance?"

"No," I laughed. "Do you?"

"Not particularly," Harry admitted. We both laughed, and focused back on the television. I laid down, my head in Harry's lap. His hand ran through my hair.

The soothing motion would put me to sleep before I knew it.

~~~~~


"Stay at mine tonight."

"Harry! I have to be at an interview at nine. I have to get ready."

"It's a radio interview," Harry said. "No one will see you."

"Yeah, but I've been photographed wit you over the last three days wearing the same thing!"

"I'll loan you a shirt."

"For fuck's sake! Fine," I shouted. Harry had been trying to convince me to stay with him since we cross the California border.

"If you would have said yes sooner you wouldn't be so out of sorts now," Harry said.

"You are the most ridiculous person I know."

"I just force you to have fun and if it was up to you that would never happen."

"Whatever Styles, take me to your abode and give me food."

We got to his house twenty minutes later and ordered two large pizzas. Trying to order pizza was when Harry and I really questioned our ability to be friends because we found each other's pizza preferences horrifying.

As soon as the pizza was delivered Harry looked at me with a mischievous smile on his face.

"What?"

"Do you want to smoke first?"

My brow furrowed. Sure, Harry and I had split a fee cigarettes during our trip, but we were always drinking when we smoked.

"No? I only smoke when I'm drinking, but you can totally have a smoke."

Harry rolled his eyes. "I don't mean a cigarette."

"Oh. Oh! Yes. Eating is so much better."

"I know!"

I followed Harry to his room where we both took a few hits from a bong. Once we were sufficiently high we went back to the living room and started eating.

"I don't know how you eat mushroom, olive, and onion. Those are the worst possible combinations."

"Broccoli and sausage is the worst. I love broccoli, but not on pizza."

"This is the best thing I've ever tasted in my life, thank you," Harry said through a mouthful of pizza.

"You're stoned," I laughed, taking a bite of my own.

"You have the best laugh," Harry sighed. "At least when it's genuine."

"Is that a compliment?"

"Yes," he said definitively.

"Thanks, then."

"What are you doing tomorrow after your interview?"

"Flying to New York."

"What? Why?"

"Annie is making my outfit for MTV music awards. I'm presenting an award and she wants me to come try it on. I also set up an audition while I'm there."

"Can I come?"

"Are you not sick of me yet?"

"Not even close, bestie."

"We aren't besties. We don't have friendship necklaces."

"You're a bloody broken record," Harry said, sticking his tongue out at me.

I stuck mine out as well, then went back to the delicious food in my hands.