Status: active

Smoking With Strangers

.six.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready?" Annie asked, first thing when she answered the facetime call. My face was bare of makeup and I was sitting at my desk in my robe.

"I was thinking about not going."

"Dude, you're presenting an award! You can't just skip out on the VMAs."

"I think I can do whatever I want," I corrected. "I'm a free bitch."

Annie laughed. "I mean, yeah, no argument there. What I mean is it would be incredibly irresponsible."

I laughed. "It definitely wouldn't be the first incredibly irresponsible thing I've done in the past week."

"Are you still getting a lot of slack about the bathroom thing?"

I shrugged. "Kind of? I mean, now it's more of a discussion about what kind of role model am I, but I'm not doing what I do to be a model of how anyone should live there life."

"I think you're letting Harry's fans get to you a little too much, Max."

I fingered the pizza charm on my desk. "I guess."

"Have you talked to him about it? Honestly, he made this way worse with those comments he made," Annie said, narrowing her eyes. She was furious about what Harry had said and promised to chew him out the first chance she got.

"No. I haven't talked to him in four days."

"Like at all?"

"I've texted him asking if he wanted to do lunch or something and he says he's busy. Like, all his texts are just short so why even bother?"

"So what this really boils down to is you don't want to go because Harry will be there," Annie said, calling me out on my shit.

"Kind of. I mean, its actually pretty realistic to think I could never run into him. We're in two different industries."

Annie rolled her eyes. "You are going to go to the VMAs and you are going to have him begging forgiveness."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," Annie nodded. "I'm going to call Cameron and have her come over. She'll do your hair and makeup, and she has some of my designs at her place. You two should be the same size. Don't worry Little Bird, Mama Bird has everything under control."

~~~~~


From the moment I hit the carpet I had been getting a lot of attention.

The dress Cameron brought over was black and came down to mid-thigh. The back, aside from two straps across mid-back, was completely open. The neck was cut higher since the rest of the dress was so open.

Cameron had made my hair slightly wavey, after dying it an ashey blonde and cutting it to just below my shoulders, then finished off my look with a dark purple lipstick, black eyeliner, and black mascara.

All that combined with my black leather booties, I felt like a badass and super confident.

I walked the carpet, stopping for pictures every so often. My hope was to make it through without really having to stop because I was starving and needed a strong drink. I got a few pictures with Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj, as well as Demi Lovato and Cara Delvigne.

"Max Green? Wow, you look breathtaking, let's get her over here and get a good look at one of our favorite actresses makeovers," Ryan Secret said.

"Bloody hell," a distinctly British voice said.

I turned my confidence up a notch and walked over to Ryan, who had been talking to the boys of One Direction.

"You look great, love," Louis said, hugging me. I exchanged greetings with everyone, Harry's forced because he was frozen, looking me up and down.

"Maxine," he stuttered. I was already pulling away when he got himself together enough to speak.

"Now, I guess I should start with who you're wearing?" Ryan asked.

"Annie Curran. She's my best friend and an absolutely amazing designer."

"Clearly," Niall said, throwing his arm around my shoulder. "I'm going to have to stay with you tonight to keep the boys aways."

"Probably the girls, too," Louis laughed.

"Alright, enough rampant objectification. I look flawless, I'm gonna keep making my way down the carpet and hopefully to food," I said, waving at everyone. "Lata playas."

And I did make it the rest of the way inside. To my utter disappointment there wasn't food, but I was able to get a strong drink quickly. I found my seat and settled in, having no clue who I was sitting near because I hadn't gone to rehearsal. I had gotten an earful, but was pretty unphased about it because it's not like I was the part of the show that mattered. People weren't watching to see me, they were watching for their favorite musicians.

"You absolutely took my breath away." Chills covered my skin as Harry's breath tickled near. "You look stunning, Maxine."

"Thanks," I said, taking a sip of my drink.

"You're mad at me."

"No," I replied, casually.

"Are you lieing to just me or yourself, too?"

I glared. "Do you have to bother me about this right now?"

"No, I 'spose I could bother you about it once the show is over."

"I'll be going home so you want have the chance," I replied.

"You're not going to any of the parties?"

"Nope."

"Good, then we can find a diner to go to. We'll have dinner and pie." Harry walked away to sit with the rest of his band mates, giving me no chance to argue.

~~~~~


"Ice cream on top?"

I paused. "Could it come on the side?"

"Absolutely."

"Definitely," I nodded.

"Alright, I'll have that right out." The waitress walked away, leaving the two of us alone. Harry sat across from me with a big, stupid smile on his face.

"What?"

He shook his head. "I'm really happy to be here with you."

I scoffed. "Lucky is more like it."

"I know that," Harry said, frowning slightly. "I've been an arse."

"Yeah."

"Maxie, c'mon, I'm really sorry. What's it going to take?"

"I dunno. Presents and Hax days and lots of pie."

Harry reached across the table and grabbed my hand. "Can do."

"I'm still mad at you."

"Well I would expect you to be, haven't bought you any presents yet," Harry grinned.

"So are you gonna tell me what was up?"

Harry frowned. "You didn't say that's what would make you not mad."

I crossed my arms across my chest, looking out the window and pointedly ignoring Harry. I heard him huff in frustration, but continued to ignore him until our pie was set infront of us.

I stabbed the pie and ice cream, trying to eat quickly so I could leave. I should have just gone home and had a bottle of wine, paired with Netflix.

"Max-"

"Don't ruin my pie," I snapped.

"You're being ridiculous."

"I'm allowed to be ridiculous, Harry. You went M.I.A. for a week and then expect us just to be like we usually are, need I remind you, right before that you told the world that you think I'm a slut."

Harry's normally relaxed body was tense and he messed with his hair more than usual. "We aren't bloody boyfriend and girlfriend. I can not talk to you for a week and it not be a big deal."

"Then it shouldn't be a big deal that I'm leaving now," I said. I pushed my plate towards Harry and walked out of the diner. I would have to get a cab or walk home, but either was better than being around Harry.

"C'mon," Harry said, running to catch up to me. "You're acting mad."

"I am!"

"I mean crazy mad, not angry mad!" The look on his face combined with his hands waving wildly in the air was enough to make me laugh, despite my anger. Harry laughed, too, grabbing my hand in his. "Come home with me."

"No," I said, shaking my head. "I have to be at a rehearsal early in the morning."

Harry nodded. "Alright. I'll make sure you get there on time."

"No," I said, shaking my head again.

"Maxineeee," Harry groaned. He ran his hand through his hair and sighed. "Can I stay at yours?"

I shrugged. "I don't want to be up later..."

"C'mon, Max. I just want to have a cuddle, maybe a movie or show or something. I'm flying home the day after tomorrow."

"What? Home?"

"England," Harry answered.

"Why? For how long?"

"Just wanted some time at home. I don't know how long."

"Oh."

"I feel like all I'm doing is upsetting you tonight," Harry sighed.

"Yeah."

"Let me just take you home, alright?"

"Alright," I agreed. Harry put his arm around my shoulder and led me to his car. I climbed in and buckled myself up, and folded my arms around myself.

Harry turned on the radio and started driving. We sat in silence but it wasn't as comfortable as they normally were with us. I was upset that he said what he said. I was upset he refused to tell me why he had been ignoring me. Most of all I was upset he was going to England.

In took no time at all for me to work myself into a tizzy. By the time we were in front of my apartment I was unbucking my seat belt before the car was stopped.

"Maxine, I wish you would just talk to me. You're really obviously very upset."

"I'm actually fine, thanks. Night, Harry, have a good trip." I jumped out of the car and closed the door, quickly walking in my building. When I got in my apartment and shut the door I let out a breath, relaxing the tension that had been building in my body.

I grabbed a bottle of wine, not bothering with a glass, and went to my couch to find some shitty reality show to make me feel better about my life.