Status: Updated as soon as possible

A Daydream Away

Chapter 11

Alex's POV

It was a few days before Christmas, and I couldn't even begin to express how awkward it was. There I was, standing in the Barakat home's doorway, engulfed in a group hug with said Barakat family. The second Jack and I made it out of his car, a bunch of different looking Jacks ran out and tackled me. I looked over one of their shoulders, whom I assumed to be Jack's father, at Jack. He gave me a sympathetic smile and, like the fucker he is, shrugged his shoulders and joined in on the hug. If Zack's muscled embraces didn't kill me, this would.

Once they felt like they'd suffocated me enough, all of them introduced themselves and began bombarding me with questions.

"Oh alright, alright, let's not smother the poor boy," Jack's mom piped up before I could answer any of them, and she proceeded to shoo the rest of the family inside. She returned her attention to me and exclaimed, "Oh, look at you, aren't you a cutie! C'mon in, it's freezing outside, let me make you some hot cocoa!"

She shuffled back inside and I fell in step with Jack, who stayed and waited for me while his mom cooed.

"I thought they were going to kill me." I whispered to him, still trying to catch my breath as we entered the family room.

"I tried to spare you, but you didn't listen." he whispered back, taking a seat on the floral couch with his father and his brother, Joe I think? All of them had their eyes focused on the television, which was playing some Christmas special.

I took my place on one of the chairs, soon to be greeted with a steaming mug of hot chocolate by Jack's mother. She kissed me on the top of the head and scurried back into the kitchen, which was permeating the entire house with the smell of home cooked food.

My eyes grazed over the living room. It seemed comfortable, with cream colored carpets, a soft lavender covering the walls, and little knick knacks scattered about the place. The fireplace, which the T.V. was positioned above, definitely added to the comfort, fire crackling within it's ash covered cavern. Propped in the corner was what I was looking forward to most about this trip. It was a quaint fir tree, still bare, with boxes of ornaments scattered underneath it.

I guess they had forgotten about their questions for me, because Jack, his brother, and his dad soon got into a conversation about the Raven's season, Jack's business, his dad's retirement, and anything else that you would probably hear in a family conversation. Jack was smiling and laughing, leaving me to wonder why he didn't want to come. His family seemed like sweethearts, from what I could tell.

I stood up awkwardly and cleared my throat, causing all three of the Barakat men to look over at me.

I shuffled my feet, picking at a string on my hoodie, and said, "I, um, where's the bathroom?"

All of them simultaneously pointed down a hall, Jack saying, "Second door on the left. Don't fall in." And they returned to their mindless conversation.

Walking down the hall, I slowed my step and scanned the family pictures that littered the walls. School pictures of the three children, family portraits, baby pictures (I took a picture with my phone of a baby Jack in the bathtub), and other miscellaneous photos scattered here and there.

I couldn't help but get a pang of jealousy while staring at them. I used to have this. I used to have parents who loved me, who cared about me, who would display every single embarrassing moment within a 5x8 frame.

Suddenly, I felt a tug at the back of my shirt, breaking me out of my self-wallowing, and, next thing I knew, I was being pulled into one of the spare bedrooms. As I turned to face my attacker, I realized that I was face to face with a female Jack.

"... May, right?" I cautiously asked. I studied her face. The same doe brown eyes were looking curiously at me.

Instead of a confirmation, she said "How did you get him to come? And the way my brother is smiling. How are you doing it?"

Completely taken aback by her brashness, all I could stutter was "I-I... uh... what?"

"Jack. My brother. Why is he here? How is he smiling? He hates Christmas."

Confusion flooded my mind. "He hates it? He's been talking about it nonstop for, like, the past few weeks." I let out sheepishly. He never mentioned that he hated it. He just complained about not wanting to see his family. He seemed perfectly happy with them, though.

"And another thing," she broke me out of my thoughts, completely blowing off my question, "You like him don't you."

"Yes?" I answered, sounds more like a question, though.

She gave me a look. "You know that's not what I meant. You want his dick." she stated, rather than asked.

"I-I-I," I stuttered again, baffled at her bluntness. What do I tell her? Do I tell her the truth? What if her family is homophobic? What if Jack finds out and kicks me out onto the streets? I mean, he knows I'm gay, but what if he gets the notion that I'm going to jump him at every corner?I just- I can't go back out there. I've gotten so used to seeing Jack everyday, to living with him as if we were actually together. I know it's childish to envision a fantasy around the entire situation, but I can't help it.

Taking in a deep breath, I hesitantly shook my head no. A smile broke out on her face. She's probably relieved I'm not going to attack her brother-

"You lying sack of crap, you do like him." Her grin seemed to grow wider as I felt my face grow red. Oh, well.

"No, I shook my head no-" I started back defensively.

May clasped a hand on my shoulder. "You know, I've had to grow up with two rather rebellious brothers, I know what lying is." She retracted her arm and placed both hands on her hips, a triumphant look resting upon her features. Man, she really looked like Jack.

Maybe I was a bit more obvious with my school girl crush than I was, seeing as two complete strangers were easily able to point it out, so I just dropped the facade.

I sighed, "So what if I like him, he probably isn't even into guys, let alone me." That earned me a smack on my arm. "Ow, what the fuck was that for?" I snapped.

"I just told you I had to grow up with the dumb ass, you don't think I don't know when he's got feelings for someone?" She retorted.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, followed by a voice saying, "Hey, Alex? You in there?" It was Jack. I began to panic slightly. I mean, I'm in a room, alone, with his sister who, even if I'm gay, I've got to admit, she is very pretty.

"Shit, I wasn't done talking to you." She huffed underneath her breath.

"Look," she whispered, "First off, calm your tits. Second, don't tell him your feelings yet."

"But-what?"

"Just, don't." She shoved a crumpled up piece of paper in my hand. "Keep me updated. I'll tell you more later." At that, she brushed past me and opened the door, revealing a befuddled looking Jack.

May stuck a stern finger in his face just as he was opening his mouth to say something, "Before you say what you were planning on saying, we did not do anything. We were just talking." And, with that, she exited the room, leaving me and Jack equally as confused.

Jack gave me a questioning look, asking me, "I thought you had to use the bathroom? And if you weren't doing what I thought you were doing, why were you in here with her?"

"Jack, I'm gay," I said, point blank, "She was just, uh, asking how it was going living with you." I lied.

"Oh," Jack said, quickly buying it, "You probably said it's pretty fantastic, huh. Because, really, I am fantastic." He wiggled his eyebrows at me, causing me to let out a giggle.

"Awe," he said, "You giggled. So adorable, Lex." He said in a baby voice while he pinched my cheeks.

I swatted his hand away, telling him, "No, I told her it sucked and to save me."

Before he could respond, which I'm assuming would have been a dick joke since I used the word "sucked", we were interrupted by his mom calling everyone to the dining room for supper.

After we were all situated around a feast that could feed an army, me secured next to Jack, May and Joe opposite us, and his parents at the ends, small conversations struck up between everyone. I decided to sit quietly and observe all of their features. Despite the few features that were different, I realized one thing. They all had the same nose.

I chuckled softly to myself and poked at my mashed potatoes.

The dinner was going relatively smoothly, until everyone started finishing their food.

"So, Alex, how'd you and Jack meet?" Bassam, which I learned was his father's name, asked me as he took a sip of his water. All other conversations ceased and all eyes were on me.

Shit, how was I supposed to answer this? Thankfully, Jack came to the rescue.

"He applied for the open bartender job, and, after talking about how he wasn't comfortable in the place he was in, I offered my extra room." He explained.

Bassam nodded, content with the answer.

After a few silent moments, Joyce, Jack's mom, asked, "So dear, do you have a girlfriend?"

There was a choking sound from me and a "mom!" from Jack. I shook my head no after I composed myself. She just hummed and said, "Neither does Jack." And she looked between us two with that mom smile.

"Mom, stop it!" Jack exclaimed, putting his face in his hands as my face grew to look like the cranberry sauce. I heard May giggle from across the table and Joe looked amused with his brother's embarrassment.

"Oh Jack, it's perfectly alright. Calm yourself down, you'll find a lovely," she paused, looking for the right word, before she continued, "person." Her eyes flicked towards me and I could tell she knew also.

Dammit, how is it I can hide it from Jack but no one else?

Jack grumbled something incoherent next to me, before pushing away from the table, taking his plate with him.

"I'll excuse myself." He grumbled, before shuffling off towards the kitchen.

"That boy, he's just like a teenage girl with his hormones, I swear. Alex dear, could you collect the dishes and help him wash them? Afterwards, we can start decorating the tree!" Joyce exclaimed.

I, of course, said yes and began clearing up the table as the rest of them scampered off into the living room. Walking into the kitchen with a handful of dishes, I dumped them in the sink that Jack was standing in front of. His eyes were screwed shut and it looked like he was in pain.

"Jack?" I asked, making him jump at just realizing my presence, "Is it the headaches again?" He nodded, making me worry more. He seemed to be getting them a lot. After the holidays, I'm going to shove him into the doctor's to get it checked out.

He shook his head, maybe trying to shake the pain away, and began filling the sink up with soapy water.

"I'm sorry. About my parents, that is. My mom is just," Jack paused, trying to figure out what words to say, "I don't know. But, yeah, sorry if they embarrassed you at all."

I waved my hand and said, "Don't worry. Having to deal with you, I've become used to it."

"Yeah," he quietly laughed, "I guess your right. Now, grab a sponge and get to work."

"Yes boss." I mocked, rolling up my sleeves and getting into it.

"Well," he said, "Technically I am."

"We are not at the Rock right now, so no, no you are not." I threw back, flicking soapy water at his face, eliciting a laugh to come out of his mouth.

"You've got a point." He replied back.

"Yes, yes I-" I was cut off by a handful of soap being shoved into my mouth and up my nose. I sputtered, coughing and smacking Jack in the shoulder. "That's it Barakat," I threatened, "This means war."

About thirty minutes and an entire bottle of dish soap later, Jack and I were cleaning up our soapy mess after being scolded by a rather livid Mrs. Barakat.

"I'm sorry." Jack apologized, though the smile on his face said he didn't really mean it, and I couldn't blame him. It was fun.

"There's no need, man. Even though we got our asses ripped, don't make the joke, I enjoyed myself. I mean, the dishes are clean now, aren't they?"

"Yeah, same with the entire kitchen." Jack laughed.

I nodded my head, then remembered what May said before. I swallowed the air in my throat and asked, "Jack, why don't you like Christmas?"

"Well," he looked at me, "That was random. Where'd you hear that?"

"May." was all I responded with.

He sighed, running a hand through his dampened hair, "I've never been into holidays in general. Halloween doesn't count, since I can get drunk and eat candy and shit, but I've just always been.." He trailed off.

"A Scrooge?" I asked. He nodded, leading me to continue, "Then why did we come? You could have totally blown her off, or you could have told me to tell her that I didn't want to come or something."

"Well, you needed it. This. The family. The Christmas cheer," he waved his arms around, "I didn't want to force you to miss Christmas for my slight distaste for it."

I smiled, feeling tears prick my eyes. He's dealing with this for me? I know I shouldn't overthink it, but I leaned over to him and hugged him tight. He didn't say a word, only wrapped his lanky arms around me. We sat like that for a while. And, looking over his shoulder, standing in the door was Joyce and May, both giving me a smile and a nod.