Status: Updated as soon as possible

A Daydream Away

Chapter 22

Jack's POV

"Alex... what are you talking about," I asked, baffled by his statement. He simply smiled down at me as he pulled away from me and walked towards the door.

"You're good," he whispered to whoever was on the other side. When it opened, I became even more confused upon seeing one of Ron's goons rush frantically through the entry.

My confusion quickly flipped into complete disgust and anger as the guy locked the door behind him and enveloped Alex in a hug.

"Thank you, thank you so so much, I-"

"Get the fuck away from him," I growled, cutting him off from whatever he was saying and lurching forward to tear the vile man off of Alex without thinking. I didn't know who he was and I didn't know why he thought it would be okay to touch Alex.

"Who the fuck are you," I barked at the man, seeing him shrink slightly from my outburst, "Who are you to Alex, why the fuck are you touching him when you work for that disgusting shit. Did you think you were going to get anything from him, you sick fuck? Get a freebie since you're one of his leeches?" I accused.

I shoved him hard against the wall and fisted my hands in the front of his shirt.

I did not know where any of this was coming from. All I knew was that, after knowing what happened to Alex here, there must be people still around who wanted him. Ron must have let his little minions do whatever they wanted to Alex. And I swear, if they think they can saunter in here and take him, or touch him, or use him, they'll have to go through me.

The guy just stared at me, wide eyed, and didn't say a thing. Granted, his lips were quivering so much he probably wouldn't be able to get any words out. It wasn't like I would listen to a word this pile of flesh had to say.

"What," I said, tightening my grip, "Were you not expecting me to stand up for him? Did you think I was still with your boss," I yelled, grabbing a fist full of his shirt in my hand and bringing his fear-stricken face closer to him, "Well, guess what, punk, I'm here and I will keep that boy safe with my life."

Just as I was pulling back my fist, ready to show him just how serious I was, a light hand touched my shoulder.

"Jack, please stop it."

I was taken aback by his tone. Turning my face to his, I saw that he had no sign of fear anywhere on his features. Was he giving up?

The thought of that angered me more.

"No, what the fuck is he doing in here," I yelled louder, turning back to look the guy I currently had pushed up against the wall. I just wanted an answer, or something. Anything.

"Jack, stop yelling, please someone is going to hear you yelling and come to investigate," he asked again calmly.

"I'll fucking kick their asses, too," I threatened loudly, just wanting someone to walk past that door and show their ugly face to me, "I done with these people. I was ready to cooperate with Ron, until this fucker thought he could saunter in and make moves on you with me right here. I mean, I literally told the fucker to take me so no one would ever touch you agai-"

"Hey, listen to me for one moment will you?!" he said, this time raising his voice. I turned to face him, being greet with a less than pleased Alex. He huffed, looking at the man, and then at me and said, "We've figured out a way to get us out of here. As we speak, the cops are on their way here," Alex moved his gaze to Danny's face, "Right?"

The man nodded his head frantically.

"The police are coming? Why? And what are you doing here? What the fuck is going on?"

"He's got his reasons. Remind me to talk to you later about it, I need to ask some things, too," he pointed his finger at me, then grew serious, "Right now, though, our focus is to wait for the police to head over. We should be in the clear for now. All we have to do is play the waiting game."

"Okay," I said slowly, still completely unsure as to what was going on, "Well, while we are waiting, how 'bout you guys tell me exactly what this master plan is?"

I listened to them as they relayed to me what was going on. Apparently, when this guy, Danny, was on guard for us, he was going to go into the bathroom, call the cops with a cheap track phone all of the others were given, and then hide in our room with us where he would pretend to be a victim in this whole situation. I was still very iffy on his whole part in this, but, if this lead to our freedom, I'll accept his presence for now. Even if he did work for the slimy bastard.

And that's when a thought popped into my head. Wouldn't it be suspicious if, suddenly, a room which was constantly being watched was suddenly left, well, unwatched?

"Wait, is there a lookout outside of our room?" I asked slowly, looking to the door.

Both men looked at me, a confused expression on both of their faces. One after the other, though, they both seemed to get what I was implying, as Alex smacked his forehead.

"Shit," he groaned.

"We-we, uh, didn't think of that," Danny said, almost looking ashamed of himself.

"It shouldn't be long until they're here, though, right? You called a while ago? What did they say?" Alex asked, turning to completely face Danny.

"They, um, they said they'll be over as soon as they could be, and to hang tight," Danny recounted frantically. I could tell that he was getting scared.

"Well, that's vague," I muttered under my breath. Apparently, though, Alex caught that.

"Jack! What the fuck! Now is not the time to be a fucking childish downer!"

"What? In that time, someone could become suspicious of the lack of guard outside and come in to investigate-"

"Hey."

Everyone went silent. The voice clearly came from someone on the other side of the wall. It's a strange sensation, when you have a suspicion, and, almost the moment it pops into your mind, it comes true.

"Hey, yo, you seen Danny? Wasn't he, like, s'posed to be watchin' here or somethin'?" I heard the voice say.

"No clue, probably, he probably went to go take a dump or somethin'," another voice replied.

Maybe we were safe.

"Sounds likely. But, like, ain't ya supposed to tell someone to cover for ya if you head off?"

"Oh. Yeah. Rules. Maybe it was an urgent dump?

"Either way we should probably check on them," voice number one said. I felt my heart sink. I looked over to Alex and took in his wide eyes as he looked my way. He looked genuinely terrified. Even if the cops do come soon, it may be too late. There is always the chance that they will learn what's going on, shove us in cars, and move us somewhere else.

Even if that were to happen, I refuse to go down without a fight. I moved closer to Alex, slowly slipped my fingers between his, and gave him a reassuring squeeze.

"Hey, you think the boss is gonna keep them both? I wouldn't mind payin' for a-"

"Hands up where I can see them!"
♠ ♠ ♠
"First off, I want to apologize for the long wait on this. I've had a major writers block and whatnot, along with working and now classes have started and I'm moving and I'm complaining, so yeah. Anyway, I apologize. I might upload a little spicy(ironic, you'll see why) something later to make up for this."

I wrote this little apology at the beginning of fall semester, six months ago, mostly because I was expecting to publish this then. Life has been bad, I guess you could say. I'm not happy with life. But, ya know, that's for me to deal with and to not whine to others about. I hope you enjoyed. Also, that little something "spicy" is lost on my old computer. I'm sorry.

I hate me.