Runaway Hearts

Gas Station, Somewhere in Minnesota

“I thought maybe you’d want these.”
I jumped a little at his voice. The bathroom door swung shut behind me. He was leaning up against the wall opposite to me. His face screamed sympathetic.
I couldn’t keep looking at him. I looked down at his hands. He held a crumpled ball of clothes.
“Thank you.” I said, taking them from him. I turned back into the bathroom.
The soft material of the pants slid over my legs. Warm. It wasn’t like it was cold, but lately I had been nothing but cold. I pulled the hoodie over my head and snuggled into its big and warm embrace. It smelled like him. Like copenhagen and leather. I pulled the sleeves to my face and inhaled.

It took me back to the first day.
I walked into Black Eagles Pub for my interview, and his eyes caught mine over the grill. I was struck with the insane feeling of familiarity immediately. And like that, I was whisked away into the office, and he was gone before I came back out.

From that moment on, he never traveled too far from my mind.

It was a little under a week before I saw him again. He smiled at me as soon as I came through the door. His smile was contagious. I learned that quickly.

So was his laugh, so was he.

It didn’t take long for us to start talking, hanging out with friends from work. Then we were just talking. Then we were just hanging out. And from then on.. Well, he was easily the greatest thing that had ever happened to me.

But I snapped out of the memories.
Memories are dangerous. They’ll ensnare you like a trap, and before you know it you’ve forgotten to live your life because you’re too busy reliving the past.

I walked out of the bathroom, Luke was gone. I could see the outline of him through the windows, walking back to the car. I followed.