Status: Updates every Thursday. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Home, Sweet Home

Chapter Eighteen

Once again, I woke up before Lily. I didn’t mind though. I was used to getting very little sleep hanging out with Dan and Phil then having to work in the morning.

Lily was right about only having the stuff to make pancakes, I realized when I looked in her fridge. While we did pick up a few things yesterday, it wasn’t much. I felt like we needed a few more things so I dressed in jeans and a tank top and walked to the little store on the corner.

It seemed like news that I was back had gotten around town quickly. When I walked in to the store, everyone said hello to me. May, the cashier, asked me what it was like in London. I couldn’t really explain it to her and just ended up telling her she would have to go there someday.

Jeff, a man that lived down the road and did some gardening for my parents, asked me how it was living in a big city. I told him that it was very different form here but I liked it just the same. Which was a total lie. I like London much more than I ever liked it here.

It took me twice as long as I had anticipate to get out of the store because people kept wanting to stop and talk to me about London. I was happy to finally have the sanctuary of Lily’s apartment. When I arrived back, she was awake and dressed sitting on the couch.

“Hey, I thought you had run away or something.” She said as I walked through the door.

“I thought about it, but I left my stuff here so I had to come back.” I retorted.

“So glad to know our friendship means so much to you. What’s that?” Lily asked pointing to the bag.

“Only the best junk food I could find…. and milk for scrambled eggs.” I replied and started unpacking all of the goodies on the sideboard.

“I figured we could stay in today and just chill. What day are we going to Funtown?” I said not really wanting to have to deal with people in town or in general for that matter.

“I have to work tonight. I have tomorrow night off. Then I have to work Wednesday night so I figured like Friday. Ian want’s to hang out with you Wednesday night by the way.” She said.

“Okay. Sound like a plan.” I said sitting on the couch beside her.

For most of the day we just sat around and watched movies. I gave Lily the British care package I made for her before I left. We ended up eating all of the candy and we ate a lot of the junk food I went and got earlier. We ate so much junk food that I almost thought I was going to fall into a sugar coma. I definitely was going to have to go on a few runs with Niomi when I got back. Especially if I have to make pancakes every day when I get home.

It was one thirty when I remembered today was Phil’s live show day. Seeing as I didn’t normally watch them because I was there, I figured I would while I was away. It was starting soon and the movie we were just watching had ended so it worked out perfectly.

I stopped Lily from putting in another movie in and went and grabbed my laptop. I sat everything up so that when Phil started, everything would be ready. Lily didn’t look too interested in watching the live show so I told her I wouldn’t be mad if she wanted to do something else. She ended up going into the other room before it even started.

Phil’s live show started out like it normally did. He said hello to everyone and then he started in on talking. I saw in the chat, that everyone was wondering where Dan was and asking where Roomie was. I could tell he was ignoring them until there was a premium message, asking quite politely, how Phil, Dan, and I were all doing.

“I’m really good today. I can’t really speak for the others. Dan is somewhere and Roomie went home to visit her family.” said Phil then he quickly started on a new subject. The chat exploded in “where is she” and “where does she live”. Thankfully he ignored them.

“Do you ever feel weird when you know your friends are watching your live shows? Um sometimes. It really depends on the friend and if I’ve said something about them before I find out that they are watching.” said Phil answering a premium message.

I couldn’t pass this up nor could I suppress the evil chuckle.

I pulled out my phone and texted Phil telling him that I was watching him.

“Sam D. says hi.” He said looking at his phone and then pretending to read the chat.

My eyes grew wide.

I texted him again telling him that he wasn’t supposed to read my text out loud.

“Sam D. says I wasn’t supposed to read that out loud.” He said with a sly smile.

I texted him an “I hate you”.

“Sam D. says she hates me. Now that wasn’t very nice Sam D.” said Phil.

I had the urge to stick my tongue out at my computer but I knew it would be useless.

Instead I texted him saying if her doesn’t stop, I was never going to make him pancakes again. His eyes got wide and he looked sacred.

“Sam D. says goodbye.” said Phil recovering with a laugh.

The people watching kept asking who Sam D. was and asking if this person was in the chat. Phil said they were but he and I both knew the truth.

When Phil was finished his live show I texted him again.

“I can’t believe you did that.”

“It was funny though.”

“Now people are going to hypothesize that Sam is my name.”

“Wow, Hypothesize. That’s a big word for you.”

“Phil…”

“Sam could be a guy name. If anyone asks I’ll just ignore them.”

“I’m still mad at you.”

“I’m sorry. But you don’t hate me right?”

“No. I can’t. It’s physically impossible.”


It was about three thirty when Phil and I stopped texting each other. I went in to the room to see what Lily was up to. She was laying on the bed with her laptop in her lap. I sat on the bed beside her.

“Live show over?” she asked taking out her head phones.

“Yeah. I’m bored now.” I said.

“Well I have to get ready for work so your boredom is just going to get worse.” She said. I sighed dramatically. Lily laughed at me and got up to take a shower.

It took her about a half hour to get ready. Once she was out of the shower, I watched as she did her hair and makeup. I wasn’t exactly sure where she worked but I knew it was over night and in town. We said our goodbyes and at five she left the apartment, leaving me all alone.

Not ten minutes after she left, my phone started to ring over on the couch. I thanked any
higher powers that may be out there for the distraction this would be for me. Now I won’t be bored. I ran to answer it hoping it wasn’t my mother.

“Hey.” said a voice I had missed for a while.

“Hello my wonderful bestest friend.” I said.

Wow, I’m so annoying sometimes.

“Are you on drugs?” Dan asked me.

I could hear the laughter that wanted to escape, in his voice.

“No. Am I not allowed to be happy to hear from you?” I said.

This time Dan really did laugh.

“You were bored, weren’t you?” said Dan knowingly.

“Yes.” I said drawing out the “s”.

“So how was Phil’s live show?”

Damn you Philip.

“It was okay but it could have been better.” I said knowing Phil was listening in.

“Hey!” I heard Phil exclaim in the back ground.

Dan and I were thrown into fits if giggles.

“Skype?” I asked when the giggles subsided.

“Yeah sounds good.” said Dan before he hung up.

I went to grab my laptop and opened up Skype. I sat it up on the breakfast bar. As soon as I was logged in, the call was coming through. I clicked the accept button and Dan’s face popped up on my computer.

“Hey.” I said waving to Dan.

He was wearing one of my favorite jumpers of his. It was black of course. I loved the way it covers the bottom half of his hands making me want to lace my fingers with his. His hair was done perfectly. Obviously he had gone outside today. The background was a very familiar poster indicating he was in his room.

“I thought you were going to be doing lots of fun things so you didn’t know when you’d be able to get to go on skype.” said Dan spitting back words I had said to him when we were hanging out the night before I left.

“Yeah well Lily has a job and has to do this thing called work. Ian had a job interview today and some of his college friends managed to get him out of the house to celebrate. So I have nothing to do except for wander the streets and that could be potentially dangerous. I could get attacked by a cow or a deer or something. Living in the backwoods of Maine could put you in a potentially dangerous situation.” I said trying to keep as straight of a face as I could.

“Attacked by a deer?” said Dan with a smirk.

“Oh did I say deer, I meant bear.”

With that I couldn’t help but laugh.

“You turnip.” said Dan laughing along with me.

I stuck my tongue out at him making him laugh and shake his head.

“I may or may not have had copious amounts of both sugar and caffeine today so…” I said bouncing in my seat a little and purposely looking anywhere but at Dan causing him to let out another small laugh.

“Do we need to have another coffee intervention?” Dan asked with traces of a laugh still present in his voice and a smile that made his adorable dimples more pronounced.

NO! Bad Sammie! Even my inner monologue sounds hyper.

I shook my head and reached for my glass of iced coffee I had to the side of my laptop. I took a sip through the straw and shifted my eyes from side to side.

“That’s it. I’m cutting you off. I’m hiding all the coffee in the house.”

“You’ll never find my secret stash.” I said adding an evil laugh at the end which caused me to choke on my own spit which in turn caused Dan to laugh again.

“Well that didn’t go as planned.” I mumbled after my coughing fit had stopped.

Dan just continued to laugh.

“I almost died and you think it’s funny?” I said my voice raising an octave.

Dan laughed harder.

“You are a meanie head!” I said crossing my arms.

“I’m a what?” said Dan thought his laughter.

“A meanie head.” I said pouting at my computer.

Dan laughed hysterically.

“Okay stick that lip back in.” he said once he could speak through his laughter.

I pouted more. I never did like doing what I was told.

“Oh come on.” Dan said no longer laughing. “Don’t do that Sammie.”

When he said my name like that, the butterflies that I had felt with him before, had returned. Something about the way he said it made them erupt full force. I had all I could do to beat them down. In this moment, I had the overwhelming urge to kiss him.

No, this can’t happen. Sure I’ve thought about kissing him before. Multiple times I had wondered how it would feel to have his, almost always chapped, lips press against mine. Yes, there have been moments when I just wanted to lean over and kiss him, but this time was different. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that, if I was sitting next to Dan in this moment, I wouldn’t have been able hold myself back.

The realization of this startled the pout off my face causing Dan to think that he won. I wasn’t going to tell him otherwise.

“There, now was that so bad?” He said when I smiled at him.

Thank god I recover quickly.

“It was extremely difficult. All of my smile muscles hurt.” As I said it, I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face.

We were on Skype for few hours. It was going into the wee hours of the morning for Dan and I could tell he was getting tired. About a half hour into the call, he had moved into a laying position. This was now adding to his exhaustion.

Dan kept nodding off for a few seconds so I suggested we get off and he go to sleep, but he refused. Dan and I had a little argument and I ended up giving up. A few minutes later Dan had nodded off for almost a minute only waking when his head fell off of his hand. He decided that I was right and he needed to go to bed. We still didn’t end up getting off until almost twenty minutes after that.

I went to bed just after we ended the call.

I couldn’t fall asleep. Thoughts about Dan and the stupid crush were racing through my mind. The harder I try to get over it, the more I ended up thinking about how good his hair looks or that he looks really good in whatever outfit or his lips.

I think way too much about his lips. Even now thinking about them makes my lips tingle with want. I want to kiss my best friend and I hate myself for it.

Thank god I was on another continent earlier tonight when I wanted to kiss him. I would have kissed him and destroyed my friendship with him.

The more I thought that harder it was to fall asleep. I wanted to talk to Phil but he was probably asleep way before the Skype call ended.

I needed to talk to someone about this so I did the only thing I could think of doing. I grabbed my phone, opened notes and just started writing. I was typing furiously with no care of spelling or grammar.

This was obviously the right thing to do because not long after I started writing, I fell asleep.

One thing I learned today, this crush thing is getting really out of hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update sixteen... OH MY GOODNESS. I think I might stop when I get to chapter twenty...
Thanks for reading.