Status: Updates every Thursday. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Home, Sweet Home

Chapter Nineteen

In the morning, I woke to Lily climbing in to the bed. She apologized six times before I told her in UK time, this was when I would normally wake up. It made her feel a bit better but she could tell I had been up most of the night.

I could feel that my eyes were puffy and I probably had deep purple bag underneath them. All of the caffeine and sugar from yesterday was no longer affecting me so first on my agenda for the day was coffee and of course Lily didn’t have any more coffee.

I decided on a shower to wake me up and then when the café opened, I would go down there with a notebook and my laptop and work on one of the blog posts I had started on the plane.

Lily’s shower was so confusing. You had to turn the handle just the right way for you to actually get hot water. It made me miss the shower back in London.

I climbed in once I had finally managed to get the water at just the right temperature so I wouldn’t turn into and ice cube from the water being too cold or my skin melted off by it being too hot.

I sat on the floor of the shower hoping to kill some time and so I couldn’t dwell on my lack of caffeine. As I sat there with the water pelting down on me, I closed my eyes and started thinking back to the start of mine and Dan’s friendship.

The boy I had met the other day had been texting me all week. Dan, his name was Dan. We had met for coffee three time since I replaced the one I had caused him to spill. Which he kept bringing up to tease me.

I was laying on my floor as I felt my phone vibrate on my stomach. I reached down already knowing who it would be.

“Hey, what are you up to?”

“Not much. Just lying on the floor contemplating the meaning of life.”

“I thought I was the one that was supposed to be in a permanent state of existential crisis.”

“Well I guess you’re just rubbing off on me.”
Oh god, that sounded so wrong.

“So have you happened to caffeinate yourself yet today?”

“Yes, but there is no such thing as too much caffeine.”

“So you wouldn’t say no to going and getting coffee with me?”

“No.”

“Is that a no you won’t say no or are you saying no?”

“Where do you wanna meet?”
I guess I’ll have to get dressed.

I got up off the floor and made my way into my room. What to wear, what to wear?

“So I guess that’s a yes then. Do you wanna meet at the Dials?”

“Uh. Sure if you give me directions.”


I threw my phone on the bed and rummaged thought my closet. I settled on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a black t-shirt. Shoes, where are my shoes? I hunted around for my amber brown boots. Ah under the bed. I got down on the floor and then laid on my belly to look under the bed. Found them!

It took me a few minutes to reach for the boots. How in the hell did they get so far under there. I swear my bed eats things that get too close. Once I finally got my boots on, I checked my phone. I have to take the underground. Shit.

I did my makeup quickly. Literally just powder and mascara. I grabbed a lip balm and shoved that and my phone in the pocket of my leather jacket with my wallet and house keys. I almost left before I remembered to run a brush thought my hair.

I made my way to the underground. I had never taken it without one of my friends from school guiding me and honestly, I was kind of scared.

Once in the station, I loaded my card and made my way down to the platform. There was a giant map of the London underground. Okay I need to go to the dials.

Okay Sammie, you can do this. How hard can it really be? You’ve seen your friends do it. Just find the station you need to get off on and you’ll be all good.

Just my luck, I get on the wrong train. I get off and I have no clue where I am. Fuck. What do I do?

I made my way to the closest map. Okay let’s try this again. I traced out the route I needed to take to get me to The Dials and then made my way to the platform of the train I needed to take.

The subway pulled up. Okay let’s try this again. I got on and found a seat which happened to be unexplainably damp. I tried to not think about that or the smell. I got off at the next stop.

I made my way to the map and… Motherfucker! I was nowhere near the next train I needed to get on. Damn it. Okay deep breaths. I can do this.

Once again, I traced out the route I needed to take and I double and triple checked that I was getting on the train I needed to get on. There was no way I could screw it up this time.

I got on the train and traveled the route I had planned out, but when I got off, nothing looked right.

The station that was close to The Dials was a busy one. The one that I got off at was practically deserted. My heart fell into my stomach and I felt like I was going to cry.

Calm down, don’t panic. Just ask for help. I went up to a guy that was standing by the information booth.

“Um, excuse me. I’m trying to get to The Dials. Could you help me?”

“Sure, Love, but The Dials are very busy. If you want the London experience, you need to go to a pub. There’s a really great one not far from here.”

“Uh no thanks. I just need directions to The Dials.” I said.

“Why are you trying to go there anyway?”

“I’m meeting a friend.”

“Oh really? What’s her name?”

“Why would that matter?” This guys was really starting to creep me out.

“I was just trying to make conversation.”

“Sorry, but I don’t really want to converse, I just want to get to The Dials.”

“Sorry Love. There are a few different routes you can take. Do you want quick or easy?”

“Quick.” I replied.

Now were finally getting somewhere.

“It’s hard to explain really. I could show you how to get there.”

“Look my boyfriend is waiting for me and I really need to get there as soon as possible.”

“Come with me and I’ll show you how to get there.”

The fact that I was standing right next to the map and he was pointing in the opposite direction freaked me out a little bit so I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“Um no… oh that’s my train.” I ran to the train that was coming in. I don’t care where it takes me, I just wanted to get out of there. I took the train as far as it would go and got off there.

I got off and was freaking out just a little bit. Okay maybe more than a little bit.

Imagine you’re in a city that you’re not completely familiar with in a country that is not your own then add the fact that you are under ground and completely lost. You could say I was on the verge of a panic attack.

My mind was blank as for what to do now. Then I remembered Dan was the one that gave me direction in the first place. I decided my only option was to call him and face the embarrassment.

His phone rang twice before he answered.

“Hey, you almost here?” He asked.

“No, I um, have no clue where I am. I’m lost.” I said trying to keep the panic out of my voice.

“Okay. Look around what station are you at?” he asked.

“I don’t know.” I said panic seeping into my voice before I could stop it.

“Okay well you need to tell me what station you’re at so I can come get you.” said Dan sounding slightly out of breath. Was he running?! Maybe I wasn’t keeping the panic out as good as I thought I was.

I looked around looking for a sign saying where I was. When I finally found it I told him.

“Okay I’m on my way. I’ll be there in twenty minutes. Okay?” Dan asked.

“Okay, stay on the phone with me please?” I asked.

“I will but service-” and he was gone.

“Motherfucker.” I whispered under my breath.

The station was completely deserted. Not a soul around. I was kind of glad for that because it cut down on my embarrassment but at the same time I had a feeling like I was in a bad horror film. I hate scary movies. Great now all I can think about is some creepy guy with a mask and I knife popping out and chasing me.

My imagination is not helpful in situations such as these. Okay think of nice things: Puppies,
kitties, unicorns, pizza, chicken lo mein, Ben and Jerry’s cookie dough ice cream I have in my freezer, Mom’s chicken potpie with biscuits on top. Great now I’m scared and hungry.

I took a seat on a bench. One train stopped. No one got on and no one got off. I wait some more. Another train. Two people got off but neither of them were Dan. I was starting to panic more if that’s even possible.

Another train still no Dan. I couldn’t help myself any longer. I stood and started to walk back and forth. Train number four pulls up and still no Dan. I had gotten my path down. End of the bench twenty steps to the poll, around and back.

I heard another train but didn’t bother looking up to see if Dan was getting off. I had pretty much lost hope that he was coming. I had just started at the beginning of my path when I heard my name from a familiar voice behind me.

“Sam?”

I looked up to find Dan.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been happier to see you.” I said throwing my arms around Dan’s middle.

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me. I stepped away a few seconds after that.

We caught the next train to where I was supposed to be going. Dan decided he wanted to stand. I don’t normally stand on the subway so when we took off I had no choice but to grab Dan by the middle, for a second time, to save myself from face planting onto the very dirty looking floor.

“Is this hugging thing going to be an all the time thing now?” said Dan sarcastically.

“You saved me so you get unlimited hugs for the rest of time, so yes.” I was too terrified to let go of him until he said we were getting off.

I mean it’s not like I’ve never been on the underground before. I have. It’s just I didn’t do it often and I managed to get a seat every time. I could feel my face growing redder and redder by the minute. You could say I was very thankful when we finally exited the underground.

“We are to never speak of this again.” I said turning to Dan and pointing.

“Okay.” said Dan with a chuckle.

I couldn’t help but laugh along.

“Come on.” said Dan grabbing my elbow and pulling me in the direction we needed to go.

Within minutes I was completely lost and relying on Dan to show me the way. Man I was kicking myself in the ass for never leaving campus when I got the chance. Then maybe I would know my way around London a little better. I mean I’ve been living here for over a year. At the same time I was kicking myself for leaving the house this morning.

It was about a twenty minute walk until Dan pulled me into a Starbucks.

“You made me take a subway to get coffee. This better be good fucking coffee.” I said remember why I even left the house.

“Nope, just normal Starbucks but I have someone I want you to meet.” said Dan leading me over to a table.

Sitting at the table we were walking toward, was a man with a black fringe. For some reason, I had no problem picturing Dan hanging out with this guy.

“Sam, this is my friend, Phil.” Dan said stopping in front of the table.

The man named Phil, looked up at me.

“Phil, this is Sam. She’s the one that ran me over and spilled my coffee.” said Dan to the man.

My face turned bright red. I had the urge to punch him but I held back. I can’t abuse him more than I already have. Then he won’t want to be my friend and he was definitely friend material after he saved me form the dreaded underground.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.” I said holding out my hand to Phil.

“You too.” Said Phil grabbing my hand and swiftly dropping it.

Dan took a seat so I did the same.

“Sam, do you want a coffee?” Dan asked.

“Uh, yeah. Thanks for supporting my caffeine addiction.” I said.

“You’re welcome as long as you support any of my future addiction.” said Dan with a smirk.

“Deal.” I said and with that Dan got up leaving me alone with Phil.

“So… How long have you known Dan?” I asked attempting small talk.

“Few years.” Phil replied and then went back to his phone.

“Are you from London originally?” I asked.

“No.” Attempt number two failed.

“Sam attempted small talk and it was not very effective.” I mumbled under my breath.

Obviously I was not quite enough. Phil gave me a confused look. I smiled awkwardly.
Thankfully this is when Dan showed up with the coffee.

“Here.” He said putting the drink in front of me.

I handed him the money for my coffee but he wouldn’t take it.

“No you bought it last time.” I said shoving the money in his hand.

“Yeah but you bought the time before that.” said Dan.

“So you bought the time before that.” I countered.

“And before that you bought the coffee.” He shoved money back in my hand.

“Because I knocked you over and spilled your coffee everywhere so I needed to make it up to you.” I said getting a little annoyed.

“Good it’s settled then, it’s my turn.” said Dan sipping his coffee.

“What? No. Just take the fucking money. You can’t buy my coffee after…” I paused.

“After what?” Dan asked.

Fuck you Daniel. I glared at him. Phil coughed pulling me from the glare.

“So are you two like dating or something?” Phil asked.

“No, definitely not. I don’t intend on dating anyone for a very long time. In fact, I think I might actually take a vow of celibacy.” I said nonchalantly sipping my coffee.

I can’t believe I managed to say that with a straight face. I could see Dan out of the corner of my eye trying not to laugh.

“Okay, I can’t do this.” said Dan with a laugh. “No we aren’t dating, but you taking a vow of celibacy? For some reason I can’t see that happening.”

“Why not?” I said also laughing.

Dan just shook his head. Phil didn’t really find the humor in what I had said. It seemed like an inside joke between Dan and I.

Dan and I had had a previous conversation about how I didn’t intend on dating anyone for a while. He said that he understood because he currently wanted to focus on work instead of a relationship. The entire conversation came about when he asked how my boyfriend felt about me meeting another guy for coffee.

I sat for a while and just listened to Dan and his friend talk. Phil reminded Dan that one of their friends, Cat, was going to be flying in in a few days. Dan turned to me and said that I might not see much of him while she was there. I nodded and Dan and Phil’s conversation continued.

Dan was almost done with his coffee when he knocked it over.

“Dammit, that’s the third time today.” He said quickly wiping up his spilled coffee.

“Wow Dan, you’re on fire today.” Phil said with a smirk.

Dan gave him an unamused look and replied.

“Yes Phil, and your amazing.”

I felt like I was being left out on something but when they held eye contact for a little bit it hit me.

“Oh are you guy’s gay?” I said with sudden realization.

Phil had been taking a drink of his coffee when I said that. Instead of swallowing it, the coffee shot out his nose some landed in his cup, some on the table, but most of it got all over Dan shirt. Dan’s face morphed from one of surprised hilarity to surprised disgust to a mixture of both.

“No Sam, I’m not gay but I am covered in snot coffee.” said Dan looking down at his damp shirt.

Phil just shook his head.

Soon we had left the coffee shop and Phil said something about going home to work on something. I was starting to get the idea that Phil didn’t like me much. I mean he was nice to me but it seemed like a fake nice. A nice for the sake of Dan. I didn’t really want to go home yet so Dan and I decided to wander the shops.

“So how is work going?” Dan asked me as we walked around.

“Good. I’m glad that my job supports my caffeine addiction as well.” I said. “What about you?”

“Um, not really anything glamorous.” said Dan with a smile.

“What is it exactly that you do at the radio station?” I asked.

“Well I help set things up and stuff like that.” Dan replied.

I nodded even thought I had no clue what his job really was.

We continued to walk around. We stumbled across a clothing store and wandered inside. Almost instantly I was drawn to a shirt hanging on the wall. I walked over to it and picked it up.

“You like Digimon?” Dan asked.

“Hell no, but my best friend does. She and I have had countless conversations about which is better Digimon or Pokémon.” I said. “Pokémon is better by the way.”

“Agreed. Who is your favorite one?” Dan asked.

“Show wise or game wise?” I asked.

“I could kiss you right now.” said Dan with wide eyes.

I burst out laughing and so did Dan. I really liked his laugh.

“Okay, favorite show wise, first generation?”

“Ya know, I really love Goldeen.” I said desperately trying to keep a straight face.

Dan looked shocked.

“What?” said Dan, his eyes widening.

“I’m kidding. I hate Goldeen. It’s a tie between Eevee and Jigglypuff. Another favorite is Piplup because I just want to cuddle it, but Jigglypuff is a childhood favorite.” I said.

We continued our conversation about Pokémon while he walked me to the underground. We then continued just standing around and talking until I looked up and noticed it was starting to get dark.

“Dan, I really need to get home.” I said ending our Pokémon conversation.
“Okay. Are you going to be able to make it home okay?” he asked talking about the underground.

“Yes… no. No I am completely incapable of deciphering the underground map and therefor I’ll end up lost and then we will never be able to continue our Pokémon conversation.” I said talking a little too fast.

“Do you want me to take you home?” Dan asked.

I nodded.

The whole underground ride, Dan and I talked about Pokémon. I told him the story of how Lily had once forced me to sit down with her and watch all of the episodes of Digimon. He even followed me off and walked me home so we could continue it. We stopped outside my flat.

“Do you want to come in?” I asked Dan.

“Yeah why not.” Dan replied.

I led him up to my flat. He made a comment about my flat having more stairs than his did. I told him that there was an elevator but it was sketchy as fuck and I would only ever be caught dead in it because I’d probably end up dead if I used it.

When I went to open my door I noticed I hadn’t locked it so I just opened it.

“Do you really keep you door unlocked?” He asked in shock.

“No but I left in a hurry and I just didn’t lock it. I forget sometimes.” I said taking of my jacket and throwing it on the couch.

“You really need to remember to lock the door. Someone could break in and murder you and I really don’t want you to get murdered.” said Dan.

“It’s nice to know that you value our friendship that much, but it was an accident.” I said but Dan wasn’t going to let me off that easily.

“It’s not a joke Sam. You don’t live in a good part of town. You really need to lock your door.” He said with a serious face.

“Look, I’m used to living in a very safe small town. Then in student housing, the door automatically locked when you shut it. I don’t normally leave my door unlocked, promise.” I said with a smirk. “Do you want something to drink?”

I made my way to the kitchen and opened the fridge.

“Sure, what do you have?” He asked.

“Uh, it looks like water, water, or… Oh hey look, a Pepsi. Wanna split it?” I said.

Note to self: make sure you actually have something to offer for a drink before you offer a drink.

Dan nodded so I grabbed two cups down. I asked if he wanted ice and he nodded.

“So did your friends attempt at Digimon conversion work even a little?” Dan asked.

“Not in the slightest. When I told her that she started sprouting off facts about how the Pokémon world didn’t make sense and how Ash is still the same age throughout all of the episodes.” I said with a laugh.

It was getting late when we actually finished the conversation. I really enjoyed talking to him. He understood me in the same way Lily did and it was great. I could tell the he and I were going to be good friends.

I noticed it was nine when his phone started to ring. It was Phil. He was wondering when Dan would be back. Dan decided that he should probably get home.

We said our goodbyes at the door and he was gone.

I was pulled out of the memory by the water turning ice cold. I had to bite my tongue to keep me from screaming out. Okay shower time over.

I dressed quickly in a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a light gray top. Oh no, the world is coming to an end. I’m not wearing black.

Now I just really, really need coffee.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update seventeen. One more and I'll stop.
Thanks for reading.