Status: ~stydia for life

Sparks

One of One

The loud ringing sound coming from the fire alarm were what tore Lydia from her dream at three in the morning. But it wasn’t something she could really control so she slipped out of bed, slipped her feet into her slippers and made her way outside not even thinking of what it felt like. Though she instantly regretted it, and also found herself silently wishing she would’ve slept in more than just a silk nightgown, or even that she would’ve grabbed a blanket to wrap around herself so she could keep herself warm. It was early, though, and she had been in a pretty deep sleep before the alarms went off, so it wasn’t exactly like she’d went over a checklist or anything.

Though thinking about needing a blanket to keep warm, and seeing everyone around her with blankets, reminded her that she kept one in her car all year. Along with a few other things that one might need if they were ever stranded on the side of the road or anything and it was cold outside, like extra socks, a scarf, basically things that would hopefully keep her warm. And luckily she lived in a good neighborhood so she never really locked her car, so within five minutes Lydia was making her way back to the crowd of people wrapped up in her blanket.

“So do you have any idea what’s going on?” Lydia heard a boy ask her through his yawn.

Looking over to the boy she saw that apparently he’d made the same mistake as her when it came to not sleeping in a whole lot because he didn’t have on a shirt or shoes, but he did have on sweatpants and socks.

“I don’t. I mean it doesn’t look like there’s a fire because I don’t see smoke anywhere, and I don’t smell anything, but I’m not a firefighter so I couldn’t tell you for sure,” Lydia told him knowing they’d have to wait for the firemen to get there and take care of the situation before they could go back into the building. And honestly once the firemen were there they’d be able to get some real answers. So really there could’ve been a small fire in one of the apartments.

“Well I guess all we can do it wait then,” the boy replied knocking his hands together a bit before scratching his head and looking around.

Lydia nodded her head, “pretty much. So uh you look kind of cold,” she said biting her lip. Honestly, Lydia hated admitting this, but she sucked at flirting. It’d been different in high school than it was now, though. In high school, she’d only ever had one boyfriend, who was only her boyfriend for the first two years before he dumped her. After that she kind of just stuck to hanging out with her friends and finding things that made her happy. Oh, yea and herself. Because she was sick of pretending to be someone she wasn’t, so by her junior year she wasn’t even the same person she’d been the year before. Though she’d only really been out of high school almost a year. She hadn’t really found anyone yet. Of course, she hadn’t exactly been looking for someone either. This boy, though, he was cute and they were both kind of stuck out there. And she could just hear her best-friend/roommate now yelling at her for not taking a chance to talk to a cute guy who lived in the same building as them. Luckily though her roommate was visiting home and wasn’t there. Of course, Lydia knew she would’ve been right. So she’d made the best move she knew how.

The boy turned to look at Lydia when she mentioned him being cold and laughed a little. “I’m freezing actually,” He told her, even if he didn’t make it known.

“Well if you want, I’ve got more than enough blanket for the two of us here,” she said moving her arm a little to show him there was room. “And I don’t mind sharing,” She adding smiling at him and hoping to herself that she wasn’t about to shut down by like his girlfriend or something along those lines.

“You sure?” He asked slowly walking over to the bench she was sitting on.

Lydia nodded her head. “I’m sure,”

“Well okay then,” He said sitting down on the bench next to her and taking the blanket out from around her for a second so that he could adjust it to where it would fit around them both better.

It didn’t take long at all before Lydia was able to tell a difference in how warm it was either. Of course with both of them being under the blanket there was more body heat which they could share and it made it warmer. Which she didn’t mind at all.

“I’m Lydia by the way,” she said figuring she was about to spend who knew how much longer under a blanket practically cuddling with a guy, she should at least know his name.

He moved around a bit to get comfortable, which eventually ended with his arm resting behind her. “Well, Lydia thanks for sharing your blanket. I’m Stiles and it’s nice to meet you,” he said with a smile.

“It’s not a problem, I mean it’s not like I didn’t have room for you under here,” She said finding that she just found comfortable around Stiles. Which was nice actually.

And to think that it was all thanks to a fire.