Status: I wanted to reinvent Beauty and the beast.

Blessings and Curses

Chapter 1

Chapter 1
The black Raven flew proudly on the grey banner. The Banners waved in the gathering wind and crowds formed as the palace keeps walked through the streets with the heavy bed on their backs. Grey curtains silhouetted a woman laying down on the bed.
All knew who she was. She was the raven princess, the queen of Bronzien, and Empress to all. Lyneth stepped away from the crowed seeking to get back to his friend. The Empress was not a friend to Hylia’s which is what he was. Lyneth started to walk down the street several merchants tried to get his attention but he ignored them till one caught his eye. The merchant woman was selling cloths many of them were extravagant clothes, beautiful colors, bright, and bold colors of shades of blue, yellow, green, reds, and jet blacks. He looked down at his own clothes. Shabby at best.
“See anything you like two color?” The merchant woman asked.
She referred to his two different color eyes. One eye was hazel brown, the other an olive green.
Lyneth looked through the clothes with his eyes, his fingers grazing the soft fabrics when he came to a bright red scarf. The scarf had a strange pattern on it that he liked. The scarf was soft and the tips of it were gold color and shined when the light hit the tips as if though they really were made of gold.
“Do you want the scarf?” The woman asked politely.
Lyneth did want the scarf he liked it for a strange reason, but the scarf was so fine and was far too expensive for him to be able to afford it.
“Nay I am sorry.” He said as he set the scarf down.
“Don’t be ridicules, you’re getting that scarf.” A familiar voice said.
Lyneth turned around and saw his friend Forlen, he was actually the son of the friend he was trying to get back to.
“Forlen no I can’t afford it.” Lyneth protested his temper rising.
“No, but I can.” Forlen said as he grabbed his bag of silver coins and a grin grew on his face.
“Forlen no, I don’t like gifts, remember. I won’t accept it.” Lyneth said protesting against Forlens act of kindness.
“You will accept this gift from me. Just think of it as a going away present.” Forlen said
Lyneth’s temper rose but then he got it under control. Many Hylias were passionate but they never do show it in public.
“Thank you.” Lyneth said with his head hung low
“Think nothing of it little beauty.” Forlen said handing him the scarf.
Lyneth meaning was little beauty. Little he could understand he was shorter than most men, and had a small thin figure much like a woman’s. But the beauty part he could not understand. Hair a light brown like how leaves look before they fall off a tree and his two color eyes must be off putting to some. His skin was a golden tan. He had the basic look of any Hylia.
Lyneth put on the scarf, the scarf felt nice and soft against his neck and it kept the cold out well.
“It suits you.” Forlen said
“Will you return to the academy after the month is up?” Lyneth asked.
“Return I’m not leaving, I don’t want to go home, hell the academy is my home.” Forlen said
“I’m glad then that I’ll see you again after the month is up.”
“I still think you should stay, Hylia is a far ways away and the roads are only getting more dangerous, especially for those of us with magic.” Forlen warned.
“I must go my mother needs me.” Lyneth said
“Fine but take this little beauty.” Forlen said as he handed Lyneth a knife. Its blade was the length of his forearm. It was made of bronze and felt light.
“I can’t accept this.” Lyneth protested.
“Stop that, yes you can, I know you know how to use them and I won’t have my best friend be killed or taken as some sort of slave on his way home.” Forlen said
“Thank you.” Lyneth said hugging Forlen, but then he was off to the wilds and then back to his village.

+++

The forest was peaceful and calm for now, but the wilds were filled with savage beast, bandits, slavers and Kir’torei. Kir’torei are ruthless gypsy rogues that nobody truly likes and all reject them, but even the most ravenous of wolves have some perks. Kir’torei never do take slaves for labor or pleasure but they will take all your money.
Lyneth sat down on a rock to rest his weary feet and eat little something. Lyneth pulled out an apple from his satchel. He ate to its core. Thinking of what the future may hold. It’s true the roads are growing more dangerous especially for those who have magic. They say a dark magic user has been patrolling the lands looking for travelers to enslave. Then Hylia villages have been reported under attack in the past few months. Many groups of bandits take advantage of Hylias because they have no soldiers of their own and the capitol cares little for them.
What’s going to happen to me?
What’s going to happen to my home?
Lyneth pushed such thoughts out of his head. He finished his apple then dug a small hole. He placed the apple core in the hole. Pressed the soil over the hole. His hand lingered over the soil. He felt energy rush through his palm. He removed his hand from the soil and a small tendril stretched itself upwards bracing the air.
Lyneth walked away quickly praying to the goddess that none have seen him perform such magic. Lyneth is a special kind of Mystic. He is a druid he can make any plant grow, controls the four winds, change the weather as he saw fit and can speak to animals which is why druids are the great protectors of nature and the keepers of balance. They control all of nature.
+++
Lyneth decided to take the river pass down to his village. Less likely to run into bandits and slavers, but the river is not without its dangers there are pirates at times. But rarely did they patrol rivers. Three days passed and Lyneth had made it at last to the port of Hynan. Less than a mile from his own village.
Lyneth walked through the familiar forest and realized he was home. It was nice to be home, for him he indeed missed it. He had been at the academy for about a year now and already he has forgotten what his very home looked like. But as he walked through the woods memories of his childhood came back.
The guard at the gate who is too old to do anything but watch. Waved to him.
“Hail, Lyneth how was your journey?” The old guard asked
“It was truly an enlightening journey.” Lyneth said. Indeed his stay at the academy was enlightening, he had learned much. Reading, writing, philosophy, astronomy, as well as how to use and control his own abilities. But there was more to learn that is why in a months’ time he had to return.
“How fairs Mysia?” Lyneth asked
“Not much has changed, except for the Kir’torei.” The old guard said.
“Kir’torei?!” Lyneth asked astonished they would be mentioned in Mysia.
“Yes a man named The Beast has set up a camp on the high-wind pass, he tolls anyone who uses his road. Big fella as tall as a bear and strong as one to this Beast, but he keeps his face covered with a hood and mask. I’m surprised you did not meet him on your way home.” The old guard exclaimed
“I took the river pass.” Lyneth said
“I shall have to meet this Beast.” Lyneth said.

+++
Lyneth’s mother hugged him fiercely when he walked into their little hub. It’s just his mother and Lyneth now. His father had been claimed by a bandit raid and his older sister Lylia had moved on to a neighboring village where she lives with her husband. She visits sometimes but not often.
“How was it there at the academy, how was it at the capital city?” His mother asked
“Oh wonderful mom, I’ve learned so much to.” Lyneth said overjoyed of his stay at the academy.
His mother and he got to talking about all that had happened over the past year and then his mother mentioned The Beast.
“Who is he?” Lyneth asked
“Lord of the Kir’torei here. Tall man, but he seems well mannered and like a good man despite being a Kir’torei.” His mother said.
“You met him?” Lyneth asked
“Nay, but I saw him, he was at Kaver’s shop, buying some food. He was covered head to toe in clothes. Not a single part of him showing. Except for his lips that reveals he has fangs.” His mother said coldly.
“I think I want to meet him.” Lyneth said with a grin.
“You’ll do no such thing, I don’t want my only son being snatched up by Kir’torei. I know you like your mischief, but stay away from him.” His mother warned.
Lyneth frowned then sighed he hated being told what to do.
“Fine.” He said but still a part of him still wanted to go see The Beast. Part of him was planning on it.
“When do you have to be back?” His mom asked.
“A month.” He replied.
“Relax for now my son.” His mother said

+++
The last month had been good to The Beast’s toll road. The Beast of course never would take advantage of anyone on his toll road. Except perhaps the rich and greedy. If the elderly passed through his toll road he let them pass freely the ravage of time was already great enough cost for them, then if some poor peasants passed he charge them with what they could afford. But if a rich spoiled merchant or nobleman passed by, he charge them all their money and why not? The rich have ruled these lands for far too long and the rich abused those below them. Something he has done in his past. The Beast watched from above his boulder as travelers passed him by. The first snow of the season began to fall and he knew there would be more to follow in the coming days. But the cold did not bother him where he was from the days were far colder and the nights where even colder than any could be in these lands.
The first wave of travelers where but a few peasant Hylia’s trying to reach a safer place, then there was a bard he certainly was amusing and he paid with a song. Then came a rich merchant snob, he paid with several gold coins. Then finally the road went still and silent. The snow though continued to fall gently. The Beast sat down in his chair perched on top of the boulder. He looked at the road behind his mask, never daring to remove it. Then came the red.
The red scarf stood out defiantly against the falling white, then the wearer of such a scarf, a young boy no older than eighteen, with light brown hair and golden skin. He was small and would just reach The Beast’s chin. Then The Beast looked upon his eyes. Two different colors a blessing in the Hylia community. One a golden hazel the other an olive green. They took notice of The Beast and stared directly into his own, even if the young traveler could not see his. The Beast sighed and silently wondered at the young beauty. From that moment on The Beast was entranced with beauty and knew he must have him.
But such a beauty would never want a gruesome beast like himself no one would want him. He could not blame him the mask he wears hides much.
Soon his Kir’torei surrounded the beauty. One stood behind him and looked up at him with a predatory look in his eyes. The Beast growled and shook his head no.
“He’s a beauty.” The Beast friend Karvel said
“Indeed he is.” The Beast said in a whisper.
“I think you have more than just looking at him on your mind.” Karvel said
“So you may think but I do not.” The Beast growled
The Beast jumped down from the boulder stood before the traveler and then bowed. The young beauty looked shocked that the beast would bow.
“You have nice manners for a bandit lord.” The young traveler said
“So you know who I am but yet I have never met you.” The Beast said
“You’re magnanimous among my village.” The boy said he was trying to be polite but a sense of lathing could be seen with in the boy’s eyes. A fire burning for The Beast.
“And what do you have for me today young traveler.” The Beast said grinning at the boy revealing his fangs, the young traveler backed up frighten. It bothered The Beast to be something that people feared.
The boy dumped his satchel out and all that was in it was just clothes a small supply of food no money but that wasn’t what the beast was looking for.
“Where are you off to with so little provisions?” The Beast asked
“To the Capital.” The boy answered shortly be reclusive on purpose.
“Why the capital? What business do you have their? Are you a dove perhaps?” The Beast asked the men chuckled when asked his last question, doves where plenty in the capital both men and woman trading themselves for coins.
“No I am no such thing! How dare you assume I am nothing more than a common whore!” The boy yelled he indeed had fire in him.
“Then why are you going to the capital?” The Beast asked
“I am willing to pay you fairly, just please let me pass.” The boy said pleading.
“What is so important? What lies in the capital?” The Beast asked again
“My destiny.” The boy said.
The Beast thought it was a strange answer and it amused him. What would a boy of his age know of destiny?
“Alright boy I’ll let you pass if you tell me your name.” The Beast asked curious of such of the boy who was beautiful stubborn and intelligent.
The boy remained silent and did not even look up at the beast. His eyes looked down at the fresh snow.
“If you don’t tell me your name I will simply have to make one up for you.” The Beast said
The boy continued to remain silent. The Beast stretched out one of his long fingers masked by a brown leather glove. He pushed it under the boys chin forcing his eyes to meet his own behind the mask. But then as soon as he put his finger on the boy the boy tried to bite it and jerked his head away. A truly loathing look fell upon the beauty’s face.
“What shall I call you my temperamental foxy sir.” The Beast said teasing the boy.
“Ah I got it your name shall be Fox, for your foxiness enchants me so.” The Beast said with a powerful chuckle.
The boy continued to remain silent but the fire could only be contained for so long.
“Very well Fox, since you continue to remain silent and refuse to tell me your name the toll has now gone up.” The Beast said.
“To what?” The boy said with a surprising calm domineer.
The Beast stood in front of the boy he towered over him and he was right he would only come to his chin. He leaned into the boy’s ear and whispered.
“A kiss is your toll.” The Beast said with a wicked grin.
“Bastard! I sooner rather have my tongue cut out and my lips torn off then kiss the likes of you!” The boy yelled. The Beast chuckled at such a claim.
Then continued to chuckle as the boy walked away.
All of The Beast’s men laughed at him when he walked away.
“Certainly let that one get away from ya didn’t you.” Karvel said
“It’s for the best that I did, the boy should not get involved with the likes of me.” The Beast said.
The Beast watched as Fox disappeared into the white nothingness, and he felt the longing for him to return.