Best Friends for Life

Kissing Invitations

I figured I shouldn’t stay away from the coffee shop on purpose in case Hunter gets the wrong idea. So I dragged myself out of bed once Richie left to go out. I made it to the coffee shop and noticed Hunter sitting at one of the tables casually looking around. He smiled when he noticed me as I took a seat across from him.

“Hey.”

“Hey, I didn’t see you yesterday. I thought you might have been avoiding me but then I thought why would you avoid all of this?” he said gesturing to himself.

“Yeah I was busy.” He pulled out his phone. “What’s your number?” he asked. I gave it to him and he texted me.

“There now we have each other’s number.”

“Good.” I smiled. We chatted for a bit before I said I had to get home.

“We should hang out tomorrow. I can pick you up,” Hunter suggested.

“Ok yeah that’d be nice. How about at ten?”

“Perfect. I’ll see you then.”

“See ya.”
--

Hunter picked me up exactly at 10 and took me to his house. I’m not sure how but eventually we’re goofing around with Hunter on top of me tickling me.

“Stop…” I laughed. “Hunter!” He smiled widely. My shirt lifted up a little his hands making contact with my bare skin. The atmosphere suddenly changed in the room as it filled with sexual tension. I leant up from the ground and slowly brought my lips to Hunter’s.

“Jessica we can’t do this.” He pulled away and sat up off of me, leaning his head back on the couch.

“Yes we can. Please Hunter,” I whined. “I’ve missed you so much,” I whispered. “Everyday.”

“You’re married! And you never even told me about it. We can’t be doing…” he motioned his hand between the two of us. “This.”

I couldn’t believe that I’d let that happen. I couldn’t believe that I still wanted to jump on top of Hunter. But I knew it wouldn’t be right. No matter how bad things were going with Richie. I just couldn’t cheat on him when he was so busy trying to pursue his career.

“Oh shit!” I breathed quietly. Everything was so overwhelming, my feelings for Hunter still there and prominent after all these years apart. “Sorry, I have to go.” I quickly scrambled up from the floor.

“Hey,” Hunter called grabbing my arm. He smiled down at me. “It’s all good. I know I’m just too hot to resist.” He joked and smiled even though it seemed to be true. “Let me drive you back to your place.”

We arrived back at my apartment, Richie still out. “I’m gonna have to meet this husband of yours sometime soon.”

“Yeah I’m sure that’d go well. Hey Richie here’s my ex from back in high school who I just ran into and kissed the other day. Isn’t that funny?”

“So his name’s Richie. Is he rich?” Hunter laughed.

“Actually yeah. He’s in school to become a doctor at the moment.”

“Damn. Always knew you’d be living the high life. Thought you’d be a doctor or something. Actually I don’t know what you do?” he asked.

“Oh,” I didn’t really want to have to tell him that I did…nothing.
I sat at home and cooked dinner for Richie. “After college I got a secretarial position at a company but I quit awhile ago. Richie said he had enough money to support us and it wasn’t the funnest job in the world.” I shrugged trying to play it off that I was basically leeching off my rich husband.

Hunter was quiet he didn’t say anything for a moment. “Well that’s got to be nice. Have some time to do whatever you want.”

“Yeah.”

“I think I want to meet this rich Richie. I promise not to tell him that you just couldn’t control yourself around me.”

“Oh I can control myself. I think it was your fault. You wanted it.”

He chuckled. “Friday I’d like to take you and your husband out to dinner. Meet this guy who’s won you over. Would that work for the both of you?”

I knew Richie would be free Friday night and going out to dinner with Hunter would mean that I wouldn’t have to prepare anything for dinner but I didn’t really want them to meet. I mean I had just kissed Hunter and there was no denying that I still had some left over feelings for him. I also didn’t know how Richie would take it. He wasn’t big on going out to eat after a hard day of med school. Let alone going out with a guy that I use to date and be in love with.

“Yeah,” I finally answered. “I’ll talk to Richie about it and see.”

“Awesome. Let me know. Bye Jessica.”

“Bye Hunter.”
--

Now I was left with how I was going to tell Richie and get him to agree to go without flipping out on me. I decided that the best way to ease it to Richie would be to make his favorite for dinner. When he got home I had it all prepared and ready for him. He actually seemed to be in a half way decent mood for once. I didn’t know if I wanted to spoil it or if this would help him take the news better. We sat there eating as he told me about his day. Towards the end of the meal I finally got the courage to tell him about it.

“So while I was out getting stuff to make dinner, I ran into an old friend.”

“That’s nice.” He said shoving a spoonful into his mouth.

“Yeah and he wanted to go to dinner to meet you and catch up.”

“He?” there was an edge to his voice.

“Yeah I knew him back in high school we haven’t talked in years. Thought it might be nice. He really wanted to meet you said he be free Friday.” Richie seemed to be thinking this over as he chewed his food.

“Friday? I guess we can go. I think I’d like to meet this old guy friend of yours.” That went a lot better than I thought it was going to go. We dropped it after that. No screaming for once.