Best Friends for Life

He Saved my Life

It wasn’t for another week before Hunter and I were both free to meet up with each other once again. I met him at his house. When he opened the door his face was completely bare of all the hair it once had.

“I see you shaved that beard off?” I questioned walking into his house towards the living room.

“Yeah,” he absently stroked his chin.

“Got tired of being called a hobo?” I giggled.

“Yeah. Asshole took a shot right at my ego but now I look like a kid. Stupid baby face.”

“I like it,” I commented. “You look like you again. Like you did back in high school when we were together. You look like Hunter. Not some grown adult with a well paying job and a nice house.”

“I am a grown ass man though not some idiot in high school. Figured you like it though. Clean shaven’s your thing.”

“Yeah I don’t know why. You just look better.” My hand went up to run down his now smooth cheek.
I wasn’t even thinking as I caressed his cheek. “Feels better too.”

“Better to kiss huh?” he asked as my hand fell back to my side. Our eyes meeting a cocky smile on his face as he leaned closer to me. God I wanted to kiss him again so bad. His face got closer and closer to mine and just when his lips were going to touch mine his face turned and he rubbed his cheek against mine. “See no more scratchy feeling when I do this.”

As much as I was disappointed I couldn’t help but laugh pushing him away. “Hunter! Yes I can tell how great you did shaving now stop rubbing against me like a cat.”

“You like it. Probably just as much as you like it when...I tickle you.” Hunter pounced on me tickling my stomach, my sides, under my arms and I dropped to the ground in hysterics. I was squirming and laughing trying to wriggle myself away from him. “See you’re enjoying this.” There was a huge smile on my face as Hunter laughed above me. I was going to die from laughter.

“Stop…Hunter.” I tried to push him away unsuccessfully he just moved down to tickle my feet. “I’m going to kick you in the face,” I warned.

“Not my face! My beautiful face that I just went through all the work of shaving.” He moved back up from my feet up my sides.

“Stop tick…ling me.”

“Fine if that’s what you want.” He finally stopped and I was able to get myself back under control before I peed my pants. Hunter was on top of me straddling my waist. His face close to mine once again as a huge smile spread across his face. “See you like it when I do that.”

“Do not.”

“Do too.”

“I do not.”

His face was getting closer to mine.

“You do too,” he whispered right before he closed the distance and placed a kiss on my lips. My mind went blank from everything else and all I could focus on was the kiss.

“Your face is really soft.” I said when we broke away.

He laughed before saying, “God, I love you.” Then he leant down and kissed me again. This time I looped my arms around his neck pulling him closer to me as his mouth assaulted mine in a hot kiss.
He loved me? The feelings were overwhelming me. Here I was on the ground with Hunter on top of me kissing me after telling me he loved me. Was this really happening right now?

“I never stopped loving you.” I responded when we pulled away.

The next thing I know he’s carrying me up the stair to his bedroom and lightly depositing me on his king sized bed. In the next instant we’re naked on the bed and things are getting heated.
--

Later we’re laying in bed with his arms wrapped around me as we face each other.

“Man, I forgot sex could be that good,” he sighed.

“Yeah,” I buried my head into his chest.

“I haven’t had sex that amazing in forever.”

“Liar,” I laughed.

“It’s true.”

“You’ve had sex with a model. I’m sure that was better.”

“Just because someone’s a model doesn’t mean they’re any good at sex. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re pretty either they have people to do that for them.” He nuzzled into my neck kissing me. “I’m telling you that was the best sex I’ve had since high school.”

“So you’re saying I’m the best sex you’ve ever had….ever.” I was skeptical.

“Mhmm. You say that like it’s so hard to believe.”

“Because it is!”

“Hey,” Hunter said getting on top of me his hand directing my face up to meet his eyes. “Don’t think like that.” He leaned down and kissed me. God I love his kisses. “I love you Jessica. Always have. I love being with you.” He placed another kiss on my lips. My arms wrapping around his neck pulling him closer to me as I kiss him back. I didn’t want this to end.

He eventually pulled away though falling back down to lay beside me. “What are we doing?” He questioned after a moment of silence. My heart racing still.

The question hung in the air. This felt so right but was it? I was married to Richie. I had cheated on him by sleeping with Hunter. But being with Hunter didn’t feel wrong; it felt right. I loved Hunter. I still loved him. I never stopped loving him. I wanted to be with him. I wanted Hunter.

“Jessica?” Hunter questioned. Tears were starting to form in my eyes. I was so conflicted. What was
I supposed to do?

“I don’t know. I love you but..”

“But what? You’re married to an asshole.” Hunter raised his voice. “He’s not good for you. I’ve seen the way he acts. There’s no way you’re telling me you love him more than me. He’s so fucking angry
all the time.”

“Like you are right now?” I questioned. Hunter’s face contorted into a frown from his angry scowl.

“That’s different. Yes I’m angry right now because for some reason you can’t seem to see reason. I thought you were smarter than that.”

“You don’t understand…” I said softly.

“What don’t I understand? Why don’t you explain to me how you could be with that asshole?” He waited for my answer. I really didn’t want to have to tell him this but it was the only way I could make him understand. I just hoped he wouldn’t think any less of me afterwards.

“He’s not just an asshole ok?” I was kind of pissed my voice raised slightly before I brought it back down. “When we first met he was sweet and kind. And I know that doesn’t make up for how he acts now but he’s under a lot of pressure with med school and stuff.”

“That doesn’t give him a right to be an asshole.”

“But it’s not just that. I owe him everything. If it wasn’t for him…” I couldn’t say it. “For his kindness. If he hadn’t of given a fuck and not taken care of me when I needed him…” How could I tell Hunter about this? “In college….College was the hardest time of my life. I mean I thought my parent’s divorce was bad but college.” I shook my head. This seemed to get Hunter’s attention because he knew how rough I took my parent’s divorce. The tears were coming as I continued. “Susie and Cody were busy with the twins and we drifted off. I lost my best friend and I couldn’t seem to make any new ones. There was so much work in college always had stuff for classes I had to get done. It was all so overwhelming. I felt so alone carrying all this weight and stress.” A sob over took my body.
Hunter’s hand held onto mine. His thumb stroking the back of my hand. A quick glance and I swore there were tears in his eyes but I couldn’t look at him for long as I continued telling him.

“It was bad…. So bad. Hunter, I…” I sniffed as the tears fell down my cheeks. My voice barely a whisper, “I was going to kill myself.” Hunter’s hands squeezed mine. I dared a glance at him to see what he thought about that as the sound of my sobs filled the room. It was the worst sight in the world. I don’t think I’d ever seen Hunter this upset about anything. He was never upset that his parents were never home. Even with the whole Brad hitting me situation he was angry and protective but never had I really seen him cry like this.

“Then I met Richie and he helped me through it. He was there for me. I felt less alone when I was with him. He made me smile and he brightened my whole world. He saved my life. If it wasn’t for him I might not be here right now. That’s why I’m having such a hard time with this.” I freed my hand from Hunter’s and motioned between us. “I don’t want to just abandon him because now he’s going through some shit. He was there to help me when I was in a bad place so shouldn’t I be there for him?” I wiped the tears from my eyes looking at Hunter. He looked so sad so tortured. Tears streaked his face.

He shook his head. “I should have been there for you. God I’m an idiot. I should have stayed in touch. You should have called me. Oh god…” My hand came up to wipe the tears from his face. His hand grabbed mine holding it to his face and he pulled me close to him. He wrapped his arms around me holding me tightly to his chest. His head buried in the side of my neck. “Jessica. I can’t even imagine…” He squeezed me. I could feel new tears running down his face onto my skin. “I could have lost you. I can’t lose you.” I was holding him just as tightly as he was holding me. Tears starting to form again. Taking comfort in his arms as he tried to grasp onto me like I was leaving him right now. We stayed like that for a moment. Both clinging onto each other desperately. We both finally found some peace and he let go of me wiping his face with his arm.

“I want to make a joke right now about how I’m blubbering like a baby but I can’t because just
thinking that you could have…” he shook his head. “Just thinking about you being..dea- I can’t.” He was going to cry again I could see it.

“But I’m not. I’m right here. It’s all over with.” I stated. “I’m not going anywhere.” I kissed him to reassure him of that fact.

“Shit. Jess, you know that if I had known I would have been there for you. I can’t believe I wasn’t. I can’t believe I let us drift apart. I can’t believe we went almost five years without talking.”

“I know. It’s not your fault. Shit just happens.”

“I don’t want you to ever even think about killing yourself. Please. You saw what it does to me. That is not a good feeling.”

“I know. I was in a bad place. I’m better now.” I could tell Hunter was debating on whether to say something.

“Are you though?” he said softly. “I mean. I understand better why you feel obligated to be with Richie. But you don’t owe him anything. Does he still make you happy? Do you love him?”

I thought about that. Did I? My feelings for Richie had been waning and in comparison to Hunter they were practically non-existent.

“I don’t think you do or else you wouldn’t be here with me. I think we’re meant to be together. You can be grateful that he saved your life and that he was there but people change. And I think you don’t love him anymore and I don’t think he loves you. Feelings change that’s okay. But that’s just my opinion what do I know?”

Was it that easy though? Could I just leave Richie just like that? Say I cheated on you there’s someone else and just leave. File for a divorce.

I nodded. “I think I understand now too. Maybe being with him isn’t what I want anymore.”

“Really? What do you want?” Hunter asked.

“You.”

“Well you got me all you have to do is break it off with that assho-with Richie.”

“I know.”

After that intense day with Hunter, I was determined to find a way to tell Richie that we were over. I didn’t want to get him upset and have him start yelling and screaming but I knew I couldn’t live like this any longer. I wanted to be happy truly happy and with Hunter I was.