Best Friends for Life

New Beginnings

Finding the right moment to tell your husband, who has helped you through the roughest times of your life, that you cheated on him and that you wanted a divorce was hard. I knew he was going to take it so bad. I figured the best way was to try and avoid the topic of Hunter all together and just focus on telling him I wanted to get divorced. I was scared though every time I was going to tell him
I stopped myself. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it no matter how much I wanted to.

It had been a week since I slept with Hunter, I was sitting on his couch watching some pointless show on the TV with him when he brought it up. “So you haven’t talked to Richie yet?”

I felt really bad that I had to tell him I hadn’t. “No,” quickly I added, “I want to but I’m scared of how he’s going to react. You know I’m a big chicken.”

“Jessica. You can do this. Just tell him ‘I’ve found someone so much hotter that satisfies my every need and is the best sex I’ve ever had so unfortunately I have to leave you.’”

I laughed. “Oh yeah that’ll go great. Now who’s this guy that’s so hot and is the best sex ever, I’d like to meet him?”

Hunter pretended to look offended. “Hello! Me! Don’t try and deny it. You just can’t resist my body.
I’m like a sexual magnet that you just can’t stop.” He fell over onto me and tried to push himself away from me. “Ah see. You’re so attracted to me I can’t get away.” I pushed him away roughly with a smile on my face.

“You’re so weird.”

“You like it.”

“I don’t know about that.” I smiled.

“No I know you love it.” He fell back onto me.

“I think shaving your beard dropped your age to a 10 year old.”

He laughed and kissed me. “It’s worth it to be able to do that and not have you hate it.”

“The beard actually wasn’t too bad on you. Still prefer you clean shaven but you look good either way.”

A smug smile crossed Hunter’s face and I knew I shouldn’t have said anything. “Of course I do. I’m just that hot. Making women fall for me, beard or no beard.”

I rolled my eyes. “Typical egotistical Hunter. Did you have a beard in college? Get a lot of ladies with it?”

We’d never talked about college. It was the one gray area that we’d both skipped over.
Hunter shrugged. “College girls are pretty easy one way or another. Quite a few really digged it though.”

I hated myself but I asked the next question anyways. “How many did you sleep with in college?” I looked away afraid of the answer ashamed that I asked it.

I knew it was bad when he started to explain. “Let’s agree that college was not a good time for either of us. It’s kind of the dark period and I’m not exactly proud of everything I did there.”

“So a lot?” I answered.

He nodded. “Big manwhore. I mean I wasn’t sleeping with a girl every week but there was quite a few. Jumped from one girl to the next. Tried to create some relationships nothing stuck for too long.”

“Yeah you were with that one girl freshman year right after we broke up.”

“Jealous?” Hunter smirked a little.

“Yeah,” I said quietly and I saw Hunter try to contain his smile. “Stop smiling.”

“It’s just nice that you admit you were jealous. So unlike you.”

I smiled. “I know.”

“Yeah I was with Steph for most of freshman year, broke up sophomore year. Started meeting a lot of different girls. There was some flirting and making out, some other stuff. Then I met Taylor who worked at one of the local bars and she’d get me free drinks. Went out with her for most of Junior year. Senior year I was busy with applying for jobs but there was some action happening there too. Then after college I met up with Angela again. Don’t know what possessed me to go out with her again. Thinking people change and I don’t know. I figured out she was just the same airhead she’d always been only worse because modeling had really gone to her head. So…” He started counting on his fingers. “So five different girls, six counting Angela after college.”

“Six?”

“Yeah. I mean there were quite a few more but I never slept with them. They never got to see the goods. Bad? I’m not exactly proud of it but it was college. You know?”

I nodded thinking about it. It really wasn’t that bad I mean that was only about one every year, by no means manwhoreish. Now the making out with X number of girls maybe. “Not bad. It’s not even double digits. So I’m only the best out of seven? Not like the best sex out of a hundred?”

Hunter laughed loud. “Yeah unfortunately. I’m sure you’d be the best out of hundred though. And I’m competing against what? Just Richie?”

I nodded. “Yep, you and Richie.”

“So I’m better right?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know? You know. I’m not the best? Richie’s better? No way is he better.”

“He does this one thing where he…” Hunter’s face scrunched up in disgust and he covered his ears.

“My ears!” he shrieked. I laughed.

“You’re better. Don’t let it go to your already inflated head. He’s not bad though. There’s just something about when you and me have sex.”

“I know what you mean. I feel it too. Something different about it makes it better.”

I nodded. We both sat there in silence for a moment letting our thoughts wander. That something different that was…love? We were meant to be with each other. Was that even possible? Sounded like some fantasy bullshit but I couldn’t deny that sometimes it felt that way. One way or another I knew I needed to break things off with Richie ASAP. I stayed there a little while longer before I headed back to the apartment running over everything in my head.
--

While I had finally completely resolved that things with Richie had to end, I still hadn’t gained the courage to tell him about it. Then one night as we sat down for dinner Richie had some news.

“I’ve been selected to do my residency at John Hopkins.” There was a huge genuine smile on his face that I hadn’t seen in a really long time.

“Really? That’s amazing!” This had always been his dream and I couldn’t believe that after everything it was finally coming true for him.

“I know. John Hopkins! Of course this means that we’ll have to move soon. Get ready to start packing everything up.”

It suddenly dawned on me that this would be the perfect moment to tell him about the divorce. This way we could easily go our own separate ways. He would be off living his dream at John Hopkins and I could be here with Hunter seeing how things progressed.

“We’ll be out of here by the end of the week.” I was processing this all in my head. Should I tell him now? Hey Richie with you going to Hopkins I thought I’d let you know that I want a divorce. No. I couldn’t figure out how to bring it up to him. The rest of dinner passed by as I ran over different ways to tell him. By the end of the night the only thing my brain could think of was on Friday after I had packed up my stuff separately from Richie’s I’d tell him that I wasn’t going with him. It was kind of low to just tell him last minute but it was the best option in my mind.
--

I told Hunter the news the next day. “He got into John Hopkins for his residency.”

“Wow, he’s that good huh? Wouldn’t peg him for the high achieving academic type.”

“Yeah, he smart. I’m guessing his family has a little to do with him getting into Hopkins though.”

Hunter nodded taking a sip of his drink as we sat in the café.

“So he’s moving and I figured that might be the easiest time to tell him. Be like I can’t move with you. I think it’s time to go our separate ways…or something like that. I still can’t think of a right way to say it.”

“It’s simple. I mean it’s not. I know it’s hard but just say something like. I think we need to breakup/ get a divorce. We’ve both changed and you’re going to be a successful doctor and blah blah something. Yeah ok this is hard.”

“See I told you. How do you ask for a divorce from someone?”

“If you want me to be there when you tell him I can be?”

“Thanks but I’m sure that would just make it ten times worse. Umm…but there is something I’d like to ask you. I know this is weird and whatever but not that weird.”

Hunter’s eyebrows rose intrigued. “Yeah?”

“Well if Richie moves and I have no job…I can’t really afford the apartment anymore. Which kind of leaves me with no place to live…and you have that huge house all to yourself. You don’t want me to have to live on the street do you?” I asked with a sad look on my face.

Hunter laughed. “You could fulfill your lifelong dream of becoming a hobo!”

“True but I’d really rather not. I can get a job and pay you. I don’t know how much you’d want.”

“Jessica. Seriously. Of course you can live with me. It’s not that weird we practically lived together when we were younger. Don’t worry about paying me. Whenever you find a job we’ll work something out.”

“You’re the best!”

“I know,” he replied smugly.

“If you could come by Friday and help me move my stuff that would be great too.”

“Ok sounds like a plan. I’ll see you Friday and you’ll finally be away from that…Richie.”
--

I was anxious all week wondering how Friday was all going to work out. I felt like I should be telling Richie and not just springing it on him last minute but I really couldn’t find the courage to.

Friday finally came around, all of our boxes were packed. I had made sure to pack my stuff separately from Richie’s. He already had all the furniture and things in a big moving van. I knew it was now or never to finally tell him.

“Can’t believe we’re moving and I got into Hopkins!” It was with that one statement that I could see the old Richie that Richie that I first married. He was so happy and excited. He was smiling! And here I was about to ruin his whole day. I smiled back at him sad that I was going to ruin his excitement. In college he’d worked so hard to get into med school and now Hopkins.

“I know. It’s amazing! I’m so proud of you.” I hugged him and he pulled me into a kiss. Our last kiss.

“There’s something I have to talk to you about…” His attention was focused on me and it felt so long since I had his full attention like he was actually listening to me. “I’m so happy for you that you got into Hopkins. This is your dream but… I don’t think I can move with you.”

His face scrunched up. “What?” Confusion, anger, maybe a hint of sadness? Or did I just hope that the man I’d been married to would be sad that I wouldn’t be moving with him.

“I think we’re going different ways in life right now. We’ve grown apart.” I could see he was about to start yelling. “PLEASE! You know it’s true.” My hand touched his arm. “You’re an amazing man and you’re going to be an amazing neurologist! But I don’t think it’s in either of our best interest to be together right now. I think we should get a divorce. You know our marriage hasn’t been the best. It’s not either of our faults but this isn’t what you imagined is it?” My eyes were watering.

“Jess…”His hand caressed my cheek. He sighed. “It’s not. I haven’t been the best husband. Med school got the best of me…I’m sorry.”

I smiled slightly. “It’s okay. I understand. But you made it through and you’re going to Hopkins. I’ll always be so grateful for these years that I’ve loved you and you’ve loved me but I think we’ll both be happy if we go our separate ways.”

“Yeah. It’s probably best. So you’re not coming with me?” he asked.

I shook my head taking his hand. “No. I’m sorry.” There was a knock on the door. Shit that was Hunter.

Richie went and answered the door and there was Hunter the smile quickly wiped from his face.

“What is he doing here?” Richie asked upset. He seemed to be processing why he would be here.

“Wait. Are you breaking up with me for him?” he motioned to Hunter. “How long have you been seeing this scumbag?”

“It’s not like that Richie. You know we haven’t been working out. You just agreed with me a second ago.”

“That was before this scumbag shows up right after you say you’re not moving with me. I knew you were a bitch. Fucking piece of shit. I’m glad I won’t have to deal with you anymore. Bye.” He stormed out with the last of his stuff. Tears were building up in my eyes.

“Jessica,” Hunter said softly pulling me into a hug. “I’m sorry. I saw the moving truck pull away and thought he was gone. I didn’t mean to interrupt and mess everything up.”

“It’s not your fault.”

“It’s not yours either. Richie has problems. He shouldn’t be talking to you like that…ever. No matter how upset he is.”

“He didn’t mean it. I just told him I wanted a divorce and that I’ve been cheating on him. It’s okay.”

Hunter sighed but didn’t say anything more on the subject. “Let’s get the rest of your stuff into my truck and head to your new place okay?” He smiled.

I nodded. “Yeah to new beginnings.”