Status: 8/26

Tyrells

the power of women

When the Tyrells came to court, Sansa Stark's luck began to change. Her betrothal to Joffrey Baratheon was broken, leaving her no longer having to wed the person who ordered her father's death, and she finally had someone to speak with that wasn't in the Lannister's service. Margaery Tyrell was nicer to her than anyone had been in a long while, and when she was invited to the gardens with her, she found herself looking forward to it.

It was there that Margaery and her grandmother, Lady Olenna Tyrell, drew from her lips all that had happened to her since her father's death, including how Joffrey was a monster and the relief she felt when her betrothal to him was broken. During their talk, Lady Olenna offered for her to have a visit to Highgarden as surely the Lannisters could not refuse such a request after Margaery was wed to Joffrey. This offer elated Sansa and she could barely keep it to herself, though she had been sworn to secrecy.

Many a time she wished to divulge the information to someone, but then she remembered the last time she confided in someone she thought she could trust, they had arrested her father for treason. She might have been young but she knew when to learn from a mistake.

She remained silent, anxiously hoping that the Tyrells kept to their word after the wedding. Her days at court seemed to prolong the more she kept the information to herself, and sometimes she would see the looks some of the members of court would give her, making her fear that they knew all about what the Tyrells had promised. However, nothing came from those looks and before she knew it, the day came for the wedding. It was strange to watch Margaery wed the boy she had once thought she would, but there was no ounce of regret within her. She had been given a lucky escape and she could only hope that Margaery was not subjected to what she had been by his hand.

The days after the wedding went by quickly and Olenna Tyrell announced her leave back to Highgarden, leaving Lord Mace Tyrell to remain on the Small Council as had been discussed. Sansa couldn't approached Margaery, not with how soon after the wedding it was, and she kept to her chambers in hopes that she had not been tricked once again.

On the day of Olenna's departure, one of the Tyrell handmaidens arrived at her chambers and instructed her to follow her. Sansa obediently listened, her hope being reignited when she was led to the Tyrell wheelhouse and was helped into where Olenna was already seated. Her nerves remained on edge until they set off, rumbling out of King's Landing and off towards Highgarden.

Sansa finally found the courage to speak to the older woman. "I can't believe Cersei allowed me to visit Highgarden, Lady Olenna," she said, unsure whether breaking the silence was the best thing to do.

"Dear girl, no one allowed you to visit Highgarden. Margaery is now Queen, rivalling the Lannister's power to the throne, and as Queen she expressed her desire take you as one of her handmaidens. Naturally, she got her own way and now here you are, journeying to Highgarden at her behest. By the time Cersei Lannister realises where you are, we will be long away from King's Landing," Lady Olenna explained, revealing to Sansa just how right she was to place her faith in the Tyrells and keep the secret to herself.

The journey took a while and reminded her of the long journey she had taken with her father and sister to King's Landing, before things had changed for the worse. This time her destination would not hold Cersei Lannister nor Joffrey Baratheon and would instead be home to Willas Tyrell, Margaery's oldest brother and heir to Highgarden, as well as the one she had been proposed to wed. She had seen what the Tyrells were like - smart, kind and wistful - and resolved that Willas must be the same. Away from the poisons that lurked in King's Landing, she was certain she would be happy.

Highgarden ended up being more than she could have imagined. Its beauty left her in awe as the wheelhouse entered the tiered-walls of the castle. It was strikingly different to her home at Winterfell, and King's Landing could not compare to the immense castle that lurked before them. It was no wonder that Margaery had been so kind to her if this was where she'd been raised. She had already seen such luscious greenery and now knew why it was a major supplier for King's Landing. There was plenty of everything, so it seemed.

As they came to a stop, Lady Olenna grabbed Sansa's attention from her surroundings and directed it towards the people who were stood where they were about to disembark. Amongst them stood a young man who rested on a cane, and it was he who Olenna pointed at and said, "That's Willas."

Sansa felt sick with nerves as she dropped the window covering as the wheelhouse's door opened and Lady Olenna was helped out. She took a deep breath and then stepped out, standing next to the older woman. Willas came forward and embraced Olenna. "Welcome back, Grandmother," he greeted.

"I could never stand the stench of that place," she replied, wrinkling her nose, before she gestured to Sansa. "This is my grandson Willas, Sansa."

She gave him a smile. "It is a pleasure."

Willas stepped in front of her and took her hand, placing a tender kiss on her knuckles. "Welcome to Highgarden, Lady Sansa."
♠ ♠ ♠
i really wanted sansa to go to highgarden in the books but it didn't happen which sucks but she did go to the eyrie so~