Can't Get Next to You

What did you call me?

Sutton drove the back roads home later that day, she couldn't get Duane Lee off her mind. A long drive always helped to clear some of the confusion. On one hand she truly cared for and enjoyed spending time with him. Duane was funny, silly and knew when to be serious. And those eyes and that smile... On the other, she couldn't decide if he was serious about being with her or if this was a passing thing on his side. But...he'd been married twice, she repeated to herself, biting lightly on her bottom lip. Pulling into her driveway some time later, she was surprised by a message from her online suitor.

Hunter16: You know, it would be a lot easier if you would just give me your phone number.

Laughing, her finger hovered over the reply button, trying to think of something witty to say back. Before she could reply the sweet melody she had set for Duane's ringtone was blasting through her ears. "Hello handsome." Sutton answered with a smile. "Hi Babydoll." he replied with a chuckle. She stiffened up in her seat, "What did you call me?" she asked almost cautiously. "Ugh... Babydoll." Duane Lee replied. "Why?"

Sutton's heart was beating in her ears, she didn't know if it was just a coincidence that he'd called her that or if maybe, just maybe she had been messaging Duane Lee online this entire time. Was that even possible, how could she not know it was him... "Sutton? Are you there, everything okay?" She sat staring through the window of her car, not sure how to reply or if she should mention anything at all to him about her online escapades. "Um, yeah, I'm here, sorry. Just a bad connection I guess." she lied to him, opening her car door.

Later that night, she lay in bed beside Duane Lee, arms folded over her chest, staring into the dark room. "You ever tried online dating?" she asked, her voice breaking into the stillness of the room. "Online dating?" he says, rolling over and propping his head on his arm. "Am I not enough?" he asked, rubbing his finger in random patterns over her naked stomach. "Of course you are silly." But was he, she questioned herself. Turning onto her side to face him, "But seriously, have you?" she asked again hoping to pry an answer out of him.

He fell back onto the bed, letting out a sigh before answering, "Nope, never had to, I guess dating has always come easy to me." He wasn't bragging in anyway but dating was something that he was good at; the marriage part was another story all together. "What makes you ask that? Are you breaking up with me or just keeping your options open?"

How could she answer his questions with out giving up her secret? Should she just play it off or change the subject all together? "It was just something on my mind, I guess." He kissed her gently on the lips, "So, we're good?" he asks, cautiously.