Can't Get Next to You

There's no limit to my love

"Sutton?" Duane says, nudging her with his elbow. "Are you going to answer my question?" he asks once more. Over the past few weeks he had started to feel like something might be going on with her. The way she would look at her phone several times throughout the day with a small smile playing on her face. He had become so infatuated with her that nothing she did went unnoticed by him. The way she tucked her hair behind her ear when she would talk to him, the way she scrunched her nose up when she smiled... But for the most part she was someone what of a mystery to him and that was what intrigued him. One way or another he would find out what was going on.

She shifts her weight to lay against him, "Do I have to?" she asks innocently. The truth was he didn't know if he really wanted her to answer his question. He liked what they had, it was hard enough to share her with his brother at work much less a complete stranger that she might have met online. "If you're worried about how I feel about you, please don't. I love you Sutton."

Had he just confessed his love for her? Was it a ploy to keep her interested or did he genuinely care and love her? A few moments of silence hung in the air before she replies, "You don't really love me, do you? I mean, I feel like what we have is great but is it love Duane Lee?" A light comes on in the dark room, illuminating their faces. Genuine blue eyes stared back at her as she still lay against his warm skin. "You don't think I'm capable of loving you babe?" Duane asks so innocently that her breathe caught in her throat. "There is no limit to my love for you Sutton."

Wow, this shit just got real, he actually love, loves me, she thought to herself. None of that pretend, let's just fuck kinda love either. "I... I don't know what to say Duane Lee. I didn't know that you-" "That I what, wasn't a punk like my brother, wasn't capable of having a real relationship... what Sutton?" Letting out the breathe she didn't even know she had been holding, she sat up in the bed.
"I don't want to argue at 11:45 at night, I really don't."

With that he too sat up, "You're right, I guess there is no point in arguing, you just told me everything I needed to know." Duane says, pushing him self out of the bed he started to gather his discarded clothes. "I knew I shouldn't have told you how I felt, I should have just fucking kept it to myself. This is the fucking story of my fucking life, you know?" and with those last few words he walked out of her bedroom. She jumped as she heard the front door slam seconds later.