Can't Get Next to You

Can I take you out tonight?

Walking into the office the next morning Sutton throws her purse down on the desk and plops down in her chair causing Leland to jump a little. "What the hell is wrong with you this morning?" he asks, twisting his chair around to face her. "Just another day in paradise baby." she replies sarcastically. Clicking away at her laptop, she notices that he'd turn back around to his computer, shaking his head, he knew better than to poke the bear. A small ding from her phone notified her that she had a message.

Hunter16: Wow, left me on read.
Cutiepie02: Oh, sorry about that. Long night.
Hunter16: Well, maybe I can make you smile today.
Cutiepie02: And how do you plan on doing that?
Hunter16: Can I take you out tonight?

Can I take you out tonight?, she read that message over and over. Another ding.

Hunter16: Sorry was that too forward? I think you're interesting and would like to meet you.
Cutiepie02: No, not at all. I appreciate your forwardness. Tonight sounds great. Just tell me when and where.
Hunter16: Pier 41 at 8:00, sound good?
Cutiepie02: Perfect. How will I know it's you?
Hunter16: Um... I will wear jeans and a long sleeve button down black shirt. I have brown hair and brown eyes.
Cutiepie02: You sound like 99.99% of Hawaii's population dude.
Hunter16: Ouch. :(
Cutiepie02: I call 'em like I see 'em
Hunter16: I have tattoo's... and yes, again, 99% of Hawaii's population does. BUT I am a white dude so, there's that. I'm not Hawaiian.
Cutiepie02: Well, I suppose that might be easy enough to spot... I'll probably wear a pink sundress and wedges. I am also a white dude... kidding.
Hunter16: Can't wait to see you.

She stood staring at herself in the bathroom mirror later that day, moving her hair back and forth willing it to be cute as she got dressed for her date. She couldn't believe she had agreed to a date with a complete stranger; especially so soon after ending things with Duane Lee. She thought for a moment that maybe she needed to cancel that date. She didn't even know his name, where he was from or what his story was. "What the hell." she says. gliding the nude colored lipstick over her lips. "What will it hurt, if nothing else I get a free meal."

As she bounced down the stairs she placed a thin silver bangle on her wrist, the doorbell rang. "Hmm." she thought as she opened it up. A rather large bouquet of flowers greeted her with an equally large man standing behind them. "What are you doing here Duane?" she says annoyed, taking them from his hand and shutting the door behind him. "I wanted to apologize...damn, you look good. Where are you headed?" he asks, hand on hip. Lying she says, "Going out with some friends. Thank you for the flowers but if you don't mind I'm running a little late." and with that she leaves him standing in her doorway and breezes past him.

The drive to the restaurant was a short one, she arrived just in time to make her date. Being late was something Sutton had always frowned upon and almost hoped he wasn't there yet. "Hi, I am meeting someone tonight but I don't know his name..." she told the hostess somewhat embarrassingly. "You're meeting me." she hears from behind her.

"Leland?"