Can't Get Next to You

Your wish is my command.

While Sutton and Duane Lee were at lunch Leland checked his email, something he didn’t do very often. He ran across one that he was pretty sure was spam but decided to click it anyway.

“The Hawaiian Matchmaker.” he said out loud. Hmm, he thought to himself. Maybe I need to hire a matchmaker to set me up with a woman. “Nope. Not gonna do it.” he says out loud again, and deletes the email.

“You’re not gonna do what?” Sutton asks as she walks back into the office.

“Oh…” he says surprised, he hadn’t heard them coming back into the office. “Just checking email. So, how was lunch?” he asks her, changing the subject.

“It was really good. This one ordered for me, like I’m a child but other than that it was delicious.” she says, throwing a thumb over her shoulder to Duane Lee.

“That’s how I roll.” Duane Lee says with a laugh while rubbing his full belly.

“So, bossy is how you roll?” she fires back.

“Someone has to take the lead.” he replies.

Sutton looks surprised and says, “I have no problem taking the lead, thank you!”

“Would you two stop flirting and get back to work!” Leland says.

They both turn to him and give him a look. Sutton retreating back to her desk and Duane Lee huffs and grabs a stack of files.

“I wasn’t flirting… for the record.” Suttons says a while later as she passes Leland in the hallway.

“I get it, he’s a handsome guy.” He replies back, with a shrug of his shoulders.

She chuckles and says, “Yeah… I guess he is. But seriously, I’m not interested.”

“Oh-” Leland says, grabbing her by the arm as she walks off. “I am leaving tomorrow to start filming.”

Sutton raises her eyebrows in surprise, “I really didn’t think you’d go back on the road again.” She knew it was hard for Leland, being away from his family and most importantly his sons and daughter but she couldn’t help but think he had brought most of his problems on himself.

He shrugs and walks away.

Leland had been gone for almost two weeks before Sutton and Duane Lee had really gotten into the groove of working alone.

“Why didn’t he take you on the road with him if you’re his personal assistant?”

Sutton looks up from her paperwork with a half smile on her face, “He says it’s because there would be no one to run the Kona office but really I think it’s because I would get in the way of him and … the women he meets on the road.”

Duane Lee laughs, “He can’t be meeting that many, can he?”

“Are you kidding me? I cannot tell you how many bitches call here looking for him while he’s away.”

“Wow.”

“I met Leland in Arizona and he gave me this number to call him so we could meet up again.” Sutton says mocking the callers. “Umm...he told me to call him, I met him while he was filming in New York! Let me talk to him, now! We’re dating damn it”

The two laughed and made fun of Leland for the rest of the day, what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him!

That night Sutton picked up her phone, dialing the number Duane Lee had given her earlier in the day incase she ever needed him.

“Hello?” He asks on the other end.

“Hey! It’s Sutton...um, I was just sitting here being bored and wondered if you might want to come over and watch a movie? I know that you’re probably sick of seeing me but, yeah…” she says rambling, picking a stray string on her sock.

He chuckles on the other end of the phone and says, “give me directions to your house and I’ll bring the pizza.”

Half an hour later there is a knock at her door, she welcomes him into her home and they both get comfortable on the couch. “This is THE BEST pizza I have ever eaten!” she exclaims with a mouth full of food. “How do you know about all these restaurants?”

That crooked smile comes over his face again and he says, “Look at me, I can do some eating.”

“You are in such great shape, I highly doubt you eat that much pizza!” she says, hitting him on the arm.

“You would be surprised what I put in my mouth.”

Sutton shakes her head, feeling a slight blush coming over her cheeks as she watches his eyes twinkle with mischief. Her mind was screaming at her to stop flirting with her boss's brother!

“Let’s just watch this movie.”

“Your wish is my command!” he replies with a wink, throwing his arm over the back of the couch, his fingertips lightly grazing her bare shoulder in the tank top she wore.