Can't Get Next to You

How many margaritas have you had tonight?

“Why do you keep looking at your phone?” Duane Lee asked Sutton over dinner later that week.

She quickly put her phone back into her purse, picking up her fork and continuing to eat. “No reason.” she says innocently, smiling a crooked smile. Not wanting to tell him that she was waiting on a reply from the Hawaiian Matchmaker. How desperate would that sound?

He narrowed his eyes at her and took a bite of his taco. “Look I moved my famous Taco Tuesday to Taco Thursday just for you, so the least you can do is be present.” he says firmly.
“Well damn.” Sutton says, the truth stinging her pride a little. He was right though, he’d asked her over for Taco Tuesday but she ended up working later than expected so he moved it to Taco Thursday so she could come over. “Why are you being so mean tonight? That’s not like you.”

He sips his drink and wipes his mouth off before replying, “I’m not, you’re just distracted and you seem like you don’t want to be here.”

“I’m sorry Duane, I do want to be here.” she apologizes, placing her hand on his and looking into those gorgeous blue eyes. A girl could get lost in those eyes, she thinks to herself. He turned his hand over and held hers for a moment before letting go. “Let’s clean up this mess so we can watch a movie or something.”

“Or something?” Sutton asks, raising her eyebrows as they cleaned up the dinner table. “And just what do you have in mind Mr. Chapman?”

“Play your cards right and you’ll find out Miss. Johnson.” he says, playfully slapping her on the ass as he walked past her. His behavior was a little surprising to her, sure he’d flirted with her here and there but never outwardly slapping her on the ass. “How many margaritas have you had tonight?”

Duane Lee turned to look at her and says, “Enough to know that I want to sleep with you.” Her heart pounded as he quickly crossed the tiny kitchen taking the dinner plates from her hands, he dropped them onto the counter without saying a word. He grabbed her face and gently pressed his lips to hers. “Shit.” he mutters, pulling his phone from his pocket a moment later. “It’s Leland, I swear he has the worst timing!"

Sutton listened as the two brothers spoke. Duane sighed, rolling his eyes as he returned the phone to his pocket. “I’m sorry, I have to go pick up a guy.”

“I know the drill.” Sutton says, with a small smile, almost relieved that they wouldn't have to talk about this awkward situation.

As she lay in bed later that night Sutton checked her email once more, this time she had two matches, the one rule from the Matchmaker was that this was completely anonymous, no real names and no pictures, it was strictly personality based. Quickly opening the first one, she browsed over his information and decided that he wasn't the one she wanted to pursue. With a sigh, she opened the other match, his user name was Hunter16. “Well that’s not a very original name.” she said to her empty bedroom. He liked to surf, watch sports, spend time with family. “The usual.” she said to herself. “I’ll send him a message anyway.”

Cutiepie02: Hey there! How are you?

Waiting a few minutes she placed her phone on the nightstand and turned over in bed deciding that he probably wouldn't message back this late at night. Just as she was drifting off to sleep she heard her phone beep.

Hunter16: Hello yourself. Hope I didn't wake you.

Sutton couldn't lie, she was a little intrigued by this man she didn't even know. The fact that she didn’t know what he looked like made it even more exciting. Was he Hawaiian, was he tall, dark and handsome? Was he your average white dude, who liked to surf and bum around on the beach? What did he do, was he a lawyer, a fast food worker? The possibilities were endless.

Cutiepie02: Not at all. Just being lazy tonight, how about you?
Hunter16: Just doing a little work.
Cutiepie02: Ahh... what is it that you do?
Hunter16: I own my own business. Sometimes I work late hours but not too often. What do you do for a living?
Cutiepie02: I’m an assistant.
Hunter16: Cool. What do you like to do for fun Cutiepie? ;-)
Cutiepie02: Um… I love the beach, I guess you kinda have to when you live in Hawaii. I also love being crafty, I love making things with my own two hands. What about you?

Sutton waited a while… nothing. No reply. Did I say something wrong, she asked herself. Maybe he just fell asleep. “Oh well.” she sighed and drifted off to sleep.