Can't Get Next to You

It’s not like that Duane.

Hunter16: So, how’s work been going for you?
Cutiepie02: It’s… going.
Hunter16: Oh? That doesn’t sound too good. lol
Cutiepie02: Don’t get me wrong, I love my job and my boss is awesome but sometimes the work is draining.
Hunter16: Have you thought about finding another job?
Cutiepie02: My boss would die if I left. Like, seriously, I do way too much for him.
Hunter16: Sounds like a prick.
Cutiepie02: Nah, he’s great really, it’s a family business and it’s just...complicated at times.

Complicated would be putting it mildly when you’ve been sleeping with your boss’s brother on the down low.

Sutton didn’t hear from her online connection for a few days, she figured that life must have been busy for him. She had spent so much time talking to him that she was putting off seeing Duane Lee for fear of missing out on any potential conversation.

“Come over tonight…” he pleaded with Sutton as they sat across from one another at lunch. “I don’t know Duane.” It wasn’t that she didn’t want to see him or spend time with him, quite the opposite really. She liked him, probably more than she should considering that they worked together and Leland didn’t know about their relationship. And she had this online thing going on with an anonymous man.

He reached out, barely sliding a thumb over her hand and said, “You’ve been putting me off for a few days now… what’s going on? I thought we had a good thing going.”

Sutton sighed, “We did...do.” Her phone beeped, signaling a message from Hunter16, hesitating, she glanced down at her phone. “Answer it.” she hears from the other side of the table. “Is that what’s keeping you from me? Another guy?”

“It’s not like that Duane.”

“Tell me what it’s like then.” he replies taking a bite of his lunch. He wondered what it could be, she had become obsessed with checking her phone. If they were together she had the thing in her hand, if she was working her phone was only a few inches from her at all times. He thought maybe she had met another guy, perhaps one that could give her more than he could. Not that he wouldn’t give her whatever she wanted. Maybe she needed to know that he wanted more than sex… or maybe she didn’t.

“It’s just some family drama going on.” Sutton lied, feeling terrible with every word she spoke. “You’ve never told me about your family.” he says quietly. He had begun to think that her family wasn’t around much or lived on the mainland. Maybe she didn’t have a relationship with them. He didn’t know what to think about this woman who sat across from him. She was a mystery and it intrigued him.

Sutton took a sip of her drink, internally debating on whether or not to tell him about her family. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust Duane Lee. They had actually become really close over the last few weeks. They’d slept together and if that wasn’t the most vulnerable moment in anyone’s life, she didn’t know what was. She had bared her naked body to this man, maybe it was time to bare her soul.