Status: In progress, slowly but surely

The Final Goal

Chapter 13

Skylar looked around the hallway and was relieved to find it empty. She felt a familiar warmth on her hand and looked down to see Fleury slip his hand in hers. She smiled at him and they walked down the hallway together. Hearing voices in Letang's room, they stopped outside and pushed the door open. Letang and Beau were sitting on the beds laughing at something one of them said. Beau looked up and Skylar met his gaze, although she felt her cheeks flush momentarily. "You wanted to go to dinner?" Skylar said, finally finding her voice. "Yeah we figured you guys were hungry," Letang said. "That's not the only thing she's hungry for," Beau said quietly, trailing off when he saw Skylar's face. "Aw Skylar it's fine! We know how irresistible Fleury is. Now what do you want to do for dinner?" Letang asked, changing the conversation. Skylar thought for a moment and shrugged, not caring what they ate. "What about everyone else? What are they doing?" Fleury asked. Skylar realized she hadn't heard anyone else when they walked to Letang's room. They probably already left to go eat somewhere. "They already left for some food. Everyone was starving after being on that plane," Beau said. "We could have approved food made in the hotel! Skylar you can eat what you want," Letang said, getting up from his place on his bed. Moving past Skylar and Fleury, who were still standing in the doorway, he walked down the hallway. He stopped for a second and turned around. "Skylar, what do you want?" he asked, calling to her from the elevator. "Surprise me!" she yelled back, watching him disappear into the elevator.

Walking into their room, she flopped down on Fleury's bed, not caring that Beau was already sitting there. "What do you guys do on these road trips?" she asked. "We practice and play our games! in the meantime we usually hang around and everyone kind of does their own thing," Fleury said, sitting down on Letang's bed. "That's nice. It has to be pretty hectic moving from one city to the next," Skylar said. She personally never knew what it was like to be on a long road trip, but figured it would eventually be very tiring. "Yeah it's tiring, but I love playing so it's worth it," Beau said. "Yeah it's not as bad as you think," Fleury said, agreeing with Beau. Suddenly Skylar's phone rang and she pulled it out of her pocket and stared at it. "Are you okay?" Fleury asked, seeing the confusion on her face. "Yeah just give me a second," she said, answering the phone and placing it next to her ear.

"Hello?" she said, waiting for their response.
"Hi! It's Sia!" the girl on the other end of the line said.
"Oh my gosh! Hi! How are you? Where do you live now?" Skylar asked, the questions popping out before she could stop them. Fleury and Beau gave her weird looks, but she focused on Sia's voice.
"I'm doing well! I am actually living in Pittsburgh now, which is kind of why I called. I heard you moved to Pittsburgh a few months ago and when I got transferred here for my job, I just knew I had to give you a call!" Sia said.
"I'm glad you called! It's been a really long time," Skylar said as flashbacks of her trip with Sia to Niagara Falls flooded her brain.
"Too long! So what are you doing? How's Patric? I see he's a famous hockey player now!"
Skylar chuckled. Sia always did ask her a million questions.
"I'm living with Patric right now actually. I'm waiting until I can afford a nice place of my own. As for Patric, he's doing well! He was just recently traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins, so that's why I'm living here now," Skylar answered her questions, hoping the answers were satisfying.
"The Pittsburgh Penguins? Skylar, I love the Penguins!" Sia said before continuing.
"Have you met the players?" She asked Skylar.
"Yeah I've met all of them, why?" Skylar asked, knowing Sia had a reason.
"Kris Letang is so hot. Don't you agree Skylar? His hair looks so good. I have a thing for his hair," she gushed.
Skylar laughed, "Yeah I guess he's attractive".
"Oh speak of the devil," Skylar said, seeing the door to the room open and Letang walk inside carrying food for the four of them.
"What? Is he with right now? Are you guys dating? You should have called me!" Sia's frustrated voice echoed across the line.
"No! I am not dating him!" Skylar said, laughing at her friend.
"But yes, he is in the room," she finished, eyes moving to Letang. She saw them all give her a weird look once again and she just shrugged it off mouthing 'I'll explain later'.
"So why aren't you dating him?" Sia asked.
"Maybe because I already have a boyfriend," Skylar said, raising her gaze to meet Fleury's eyes.
"What? Who? Is he on the Penguins? Is he cute? He better not hurt you or I'll kick his ass!" Sia growled, feeling a need to protect her friend.
"Sia calm down! His name is Marc Andre Fleury and he is downright handsome," Skylar said. She saw Fleury get nudges from Letang and Beau and just rolled her eyes.
"The goalie? Can I meet him?" Sia asked, needing to make sure he is good enough for Skylar.
"Yeah we are on a road trip right now, so maybe when we get back," Skylar said, knowing how impatient Sia can get.
"Okay sounds good! Call me when you get back!" Sia said and hung up.

Skylar turned around to see the three players looking at her. "Who was that?" Fleury asked. "Sia, she's one of my friends from high school. We went to Niagara Falls awhile back and she just called to tell me that she moved to Pittsburgh," Skylar said, moving to sit back down on the bed. "That's nice that you'll have a friend," Beau said, grabbing the bag of food from Letang. Skylar chuckled, "Yeah it will be". They ate dinner in comfortable silence and when they finished, Skylar and Fleury headed out into the hallway.

"What are we doing tomorrow?" Skylar asked after the door to Letang's room closed shut behind them.
"We have our game against the Canadiens tomorrow at 7:00 and we have a morning practice before the game," Fleury said, walking Skylar back to her room.
"I probably won't see you before the game but here's a ticket," Fleury said, handing Skylar a ticket to the game. Skylar took the ticket and stopped, seeing they had reached her room. She didn't want to leave Fleury just yet, but she knew he needed rest to be in his right mind for the game tomorrow. It would be a tough game and she knew he needed all the preparation he could get.
"Okay, thank you," Skylar said, stretching up to press a soft kiss on Fleury's cheek.
"I'll see you tomorrow!" Fleury said, before Skylar closed the door behind her. Looking at the clock on the nightstand, she saw it was 8:00 pm. Walking over to her suitcase, she unzipped it and pulled out her pajamas. She brought a loose black T-shirt and a pair of loose Pittsburgh Pirates shorts. Skylar quickly changed and yawned. It had been a long day. The flight was long and she was ready to get under the covers and fall asleep. She brushed her teeth and left the bathroom. Turning off the lights, she crawled into bed and played on her phone for a bit. After a few minutes she lay back, snuggled under the covers. Skylar closed her eyes and fell asleep, praying that tomorrow's game would be a good one for the Penguins.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here it is! Thank you for reading!! I hope you like this one. It's another filler chapter before the game, but I felt Skylar needed more of a background story. Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts/ideas. In other news, the coach got fired! What do you guys think about that?