Status: In progress, slowly but surely

The Final Goal

Chapter 14

Skylar woke up the next morning freezing. She sat up quickly, groaning at the frigid air. She looked around, confused as to why she was so cold. A look of realization dawned on her face and she shook her head when she saw all of the blankets in a heap on the floor. Skylar leaned over and grabbed the blankets, pulling them up onto the bed. She looked at the nightstand and reached over, checking her phone for the time. Seeing it was 10:00 AM, she hopped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, cringing at the feel of the freezing floor on her bare feet. Skylar took a quick shower and changed into a Penguins sweatshirt she stole from Fleury and a pair of yoga pants. It was freezing out and she didn't bother looking like a supermodel. Skylar never was a fan of Barbie.

Skylar looked in the mirror and sighed when she saw her reflection. She reached into her makeup bag and took out her gold and brown eyeshadow. Going out without makeup was never a problem to her, but Fleury makes her want to look nice, almost like he gives her a purpose to live life to its fullest. Skylar would never admit this to anyone, of course, but he does bring out the best in her. Besides, to Skylar, makeup was a form of art. The blending of the eyeshadows always intrigued her and she wasn't against using some crazy color combinations.

Skylar had lounged in her hotel room all day, waiting for the game. Around 2:00 PM, Skylar's phone rang and she stared at it for a second before answering.

"Hello?"
"Hi we are calling from the art and design studio located in Washington. Your application was received in July. We are so sorry we didn't call you sooner to let you know that you were accepted. Your application was missing for quite some time! One of the assistants misplaced it under a stack of books. The program would start at the start of January and would end around the same time next year. The other students should be arriving in a week or two, since they want to get settled in their new rooms. I can email you all of the information and give you a list of the art supplies you may need. All you need to do is log into your art account online and confirm your registration. We hope to see you in a week!"

Skylar, hand shaking, set down her phone. She had forgotten about the art program. When she applied over the summer, she figured she wouldn't get in and when they didn't call her, she had assumed the worst. Now, the thought of leaving frightened her and excited her at the same time. Could she really leave? In the middle of Fleury's hockey season? If Skylar thought road games would be tough on their relationship, this trip would be even harder. But was she willing to miss an opportunity to spend a few more months with a guy? That's when she knew that she had to go to Washington. She wasn't willing to give up a possible future career in art. Going to Washington could give Skylar the opportunity she needed to work on her skills and become a better artist. If she was really good, her work could even be exhibited at a local show!

Trying to figure out a way to tell Fleury, Skylar lounged in her room all day, almost dreading the upcoming game. Around 5:00 PM, Skylar left the hotel and walked to the arena. fighting her way through the mob of people, she finally made her way to her seat. Looking around, Skylar spotted hundreds of Montreal fans, not the she expected anything else. Shifting her focus back to the ice, her face lit up like the sun when Fleury led his team onto the ice. Watching him move so gracefully across the ice toward his goal, she smiled, hoping he saw her. He looked up for a split second and she felt her body temperature rise slightly as they made eye contact. He smirked and looked away, mentally preparing himself for the rough game ahead. Skylar leaned back in her seat, anxiously awaiting the starting face-off, but more importantly, she was nervous for the conversation she needed to have with Fleury after the game. Hopefully the Penguins would win, so he wouldn't be too depressed.

Unfortunately the Penguins lost 3-2, meaning Skylar would have to tell Fleury the bad yet good news when he was already upset. Trudging back to the hotel, she didn't answer her phone. It was probably Fleury wondering where she was, since she usually stays after to see him. This time, however, she didn't want to see him right away. This probably wasn't the best choice, seeing she would have to tell him the news eventually, but it made Skylar feel temporarily better, as she avoided Fleury.

Back at the apartment, Skylar barged her way into her room and threw herself onto her bed. Collapsing on the soft covers, she made herself comfortable. She pulled out her phone and texted Sia, letting her know that their little get together would have to wait. She filled her in on the art program and explained she would be leaving for a year. Sia was surprised and slightly upset, but she knew this was what her friend needed so she didn't complain.

A knock at the door caused her to groan and she reluctantly got off the bed and opened the door to reveal a very handsome, yet defeated Fleury. His hair was slicked with sweat and was extremely messy, almost like he had run his hand through it too many times. His eyes, usually bright with happiness and humor, appeared a dull brown color, since he lacked his usual outgoing personality.

"Hey," he said, tone screaming his unhappiness. Skylar figured it would be hard for him losing, but he must really care about hockey and his teammates to be so disappointed.
"I have to talk to you," Skylar said, grabbing his hand and leading him into her room. She rubbed her thumb in circles in his palm, hoping to relax him and lift his spirits. She watched Fleury take a seat on the bed. Sitting on the bed next to him, she took a deep breath.
"I have to go to Washington," Skylar said, the words rushing out of her mouth.
"Why?" Fleury asked, sounding confused but his face had revealed his true emotions. He was upset she would be leaving him.
"I requested a spot in an art program in Washington over the summer. I was accepted and I have decided that I will go. This program means a lot to me and it can really help me improve my skills."
Skylar looked at Fleury, trying to read his expression and understand what he was feeling. He turned his face away for a second and Skylar waited, feeling the silence stretch on. He took in a shaky breath before turning back to face her.
"Will you promise to call me every night?" he asked, his French accent thick with emotion. Skylar was starting to feel the emotions herself, as she choked back tears that threatened to spill.
"I promise, Fleury. Unfortunately, I will be gone a year, but I promise I will come back."
Skylar wrapped her arms around him, feeling the tears making their way down her face and no doubt smearing her makeup, not that she cared.
"When do you leave?" Fleury asked, his lips close to her neck.
Skylar grimaced, recalling the email she received earlier, "I leave on Friday. I'm sorry, Fleury".

They didn't say anything after that, not wanting to talk about it anymore. Skylar would be able to go to their second game, but would have to leave during the road trip, something neither of them had expected. Knowing their time was limited, they cuddled close to each other and fell asleep, both not ready for Friday morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I couldn't update. I went to Pittsburgh for a few days and I left my laptop at home :/ I would've written this on my phone but I didn't have wifi and did not want my phone to die, especially since I needed it to take a million pictures Monday night at the game vs the Blue Jackets :D I had glass seats and it was absolutely amazing. I was so upset that Fleury couldn't play but I still had an amazing time. Dumoulin tapped the glass right in front of me and I got a few good pictures of him and Cole. They are both so attractive haha I can't even. I am so glad we won though and I absolutely hate Tortorella so seeing him and his team lose was great. I will be going away again and I may or may not be bringing my laptop, so don't expect a new chapter on Sunday. I hope you guys like this chapter, I think I have a good idea of where to take this. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all had an amazing holiday!! :D