Status: In progress, slowly but surely

The Final Goal

Chapter 17

The next two weeks, surprisingly, flew by. Skylar was almost as excited as Fleury when he played his first game after coming back from a concussion. Unfortunately, the Penguins were playing the Islanders and desperately needed to win. The team hasn't been scoring much, except for the game against Detroit.

Skylar sat in her usual spot behind Fleury, watching him do his usual stretches before the game. At the end of the game, the Penguins won 5-2. Skylar was overly excited; ecstatic that Fleury got such an amazing win on his first night back with the team. Unfortunately, the next few games did not bring the same level of happiness. The Penguins played back to back games against the Chicago Blackhawks, who were rising fast in the central division, threatening the Stars for first place. The first game didn't go as bad as Skylar thought; the Penguins truly could have and should have won that game. The second game was a disgrace, the team playing the worst first period Skylar had seen in ages. It killed Skylar inside to say the Blackhawks deserved the win, but she would never say such things out loud. Unfortunately, the Penguins just got outplayed.

The next game against Montreal was nice, to say the least. The Penguins needed a win, losing many of their previous games. Fleury was excited to play in Montreal, since he got to see his family. He usually plays very well in Montreal, and he certainly didn't disappoint that night. Skylar wasn't able to go with him to Montreal, but she was watching the game from Patric's family room and she still cheered just as loud, sometimes thinking maybe they could hear her cheers through the TV.

Unfortunately, the team lost the next two games against the Hurricanes and the Lightning. Skylar, again, watched the games from Patric's, unable to join the team on this road trip. Losing in overtime was almost worse than losing in regulation. Getting to overtime in both games gave Skylar some hope, hope that the Penguins would somehow, someway win the game. Disappointment coursed through her veins, seeing them lose both games. They would play the Canes again on Sunday, so hopefully the outcome would be different then.

On Sunday, Skylar was up early. She wanted to go over to Fleury's a bit before the game in the afternoon. Patric, unfortunately, had to tag along since Skylar still did not have her own car. Maybe, she thought, she should ask Fleury for one for her 23rd birthday.
"Hey why was Perron traded?" Skylar asked, remembering he was traded. Carl Hagelin was sent over from the Ducks and would be playing his first game with the Penguins.
Patric struggled for words, surprising since usually he could never shut up. "He was getting a few chances, but he wasn't really producing as much as we would have liked, I think," Patric said.
"He was a nice guy. I'll miss him, but I think Anaheim will be good for him."
"You know Hagelin, right?" Skylar asked, recognizing the name.
"Yeah we trained together. I texted him when he was on his way over last night."

The ride was silent after that; Skylar was thinking about how weird it must be to be traded in the middle of the season. She wouldn't know what to do if Patric or Fleury got traded like that. Would she move with them? Fleury's house appeared outside the car window, stopping Skylar from thinking the matter through any further.

Walking inside his house, Skylar made her way to the family room and sat down on the couch. Fleury took a seat next to her, the cushions sinking under his weight. "You coming to the game?" Fleury asked her, taking a sip of the water he brought with him and Skylar figured he needed to stay properly hydrated for the game.
"Yeah, I'll be there!"
Patric looked up from the chair across the room, "You'll need to meet Hagelin before the game".
Skylar groaned, already annoyed she had to meet a new guy. "Fine, but you owe me," she said, sending Patric daggers. He rolled his eyes at his sister's childish behavior.
"Do you even want anything?" Patric asked, knowing Skylar usually doesn't want anything.
"Yes. I need a car," she said, seriously.
"You don't need a car; you want a car," Fleury said, pointing out that there was a difference.
"No I need a car, so I don't have to hitch rides with you idiots," she said, smiling.
"Aw c'mon it's not that bad," Patric said.
"Yes it is! Your gear smells almost as bad as you after a practice!" Skylar retorted, rolling her eyes.
Fleury laughed and Skylar looked at him, "Don't laugh! You smell after games too! Your hair is usually slicked back with sweat!"
Both men laughed, making Skylar lean her back against the couch, rolling her eyes yet again.
"Hey what time do we leave?" She asked, knowing it was probably soon.
"Yeah we should go now," Patric said, glancing up from his watch.
Standing, they all made their way outside. Skylar went with Patric, since Fleury decided to take his own car to the rink.

Walking into the locker room with Patric, Skylar saw Fleury had somehow beaten them, and she saw a few new faces. Patric directed her over to a man, who appeared to be in his late twenties.
"Skylar, this is Carl Hagelin. Carl, this is my younger sister, Skylar," Patric said, gesturing to Skylar.
"Hi, nice to meet you!" Skylar said, smiling and shaking the guy's, Carl's, hand. "Hi," he said, smiling briefly before turning his attention to Patric. "I didn't know you had a younger sister," he said.
"Yeah, unfortunately," Patric said, smirking at the look on Skylar's face. Skylar whacked him on his shoulder, "Jerk," she said, laughing. Heading out of the locker room, Skylar stopped at Fleury and gave him a quick kiss, wishing him luck. On her way out, she heard all of the guys making kissing noises and laughed at their childish ways.

The Penguins won the game 5-0 meaning Fleury got another shutout! His 41st of his career and his third of the season. Skylar couldn't be more proud. He deserved it with the insane, god-like way he has been playing. Of course, Skylar is biased but Fleury did deserve a shutout. She knew it would boost his spirits, knowing he didn't let in a single puck. Skylar saw Fleury after the game and gave him a sweet kiss on the lips, congratulating him on his shutout. Again, his teammates made kissing noises and faces, but Skylar ignored it and waited for Patric at his car. Tomorrow, Skylar figured Fleury wouldn't play, which didn't affect her since she isn't able to travel to St. Louis anyway. Hopefully, the Penguins would win again. Skylar knew the Penguins deserved another win more than anyone; they're a hard working team. Skylar got ready for bed quickly and soon fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Perron was traded... thoughts? I'd love to hear them along with any opinions or suggestions related to the fanfic.. or anything for that matter! I know I updated a day late, but I couldn't update yesterday. I won't give you crappy excuses. I hope you like this chapter and I thank you all for reading! :D