Status: In progress, slowly but surely

The Final Goal

Chapter 8

A week had passed and Skylar had yet to see Downie. She had a nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach that something would happen. Figuring she was paranoid, Skylar ignored her conscience and focused on her life. Yesterday after s'mores, Skylar and Fleury had talked a bit about their relationship and decided it would be best keeping it a secret... For now. They both weren't ready for the whole world to know, so it was best keeping quiet. Skylar was free today to do whatever, so she grabbed her sketchbook and set to work on a new Harley Quinn drawing. Before she knew it, 3 hours had gone by. Her brother rushed into the room with his phone and practically threw it in Skylar's lap. "How dare he? How dare he do this to his team?" Patric roared, pacing around the room. Skylar never knew he could get this angry, but looking at his phone she figured out why. Patric had a news article pulled up on his phone with the picture Downie took, cropped of course, at the top of the page. Skylar cursed and skimmed the article, searching for answers. "According to Steve Downie, Marc Andre Fleury, the goalie of the Pittsburgh Penguins has recently started a relationship with teammate Patric Hornqvist's sister, Skylar. This picture was taken from Downie's phone and shows Skylar and Downie had a fling. Is Skylar a puck bunny? Comment your opinions," Skylar read from the article, cringing at the untrue things it implied. She would never date Fleury for his money, that was never her style. If she wanted money, she would make it herself. Something about working for herself and accomplishing things on her own satisfied her. "What should I do?" she asked Patric, remembering he was still in her room. He thought for a second then shrugged, "I honestly don't know Sky. Who would've thought he would ever betray us like that". Grabbing her own phone, Skylar called Fleury. "Hey Skylar! What's up?" he asked. "Google yourself and click on the latest news story," she said, biting her lip. There was a pause and she heard typing as he searched. After a minute of silence, Fleury came back on the line. "I'll be there in a minute," he said then hung up. She motioned for Patric to go down the stairs and ran down after him. "Fleury is on his way over, we can decide what to do then," Skylar said, unlocking the door. "I should've known sleeping with him was a mistake," Skylar said, sitting on the couch. Patric looked at her and she was surprised when she saw him nod his head in agreement. "Yeah. You should've, but it's over now. You're with Fleury, it's not like you're sleeping with the whole team," Patric said. "Should I tell the media that I'm only dating Fleury?" Skylar asked him. "No," a familiar voice said. "Fleury!" Skylar said, standing up and hugging him. She wrapped her arms around him and leaned against his warm body, instantly relaxing in his arms. "Why not?" Patric asked, still sitting on the couch. "We don't say anything. Downie made this mess and it's not our job to clean it up. Let the media think what they want. I don't care because I know the truth," Fleury said. "What about Skylar's reputation? I don't want the media making her out as some kind of slut!" Patric said, standing suddenly. His face had become red and his eyes burned with anger. "Patric!" Skylar gasped. "What? I'm sorry, but I don't want this to hurt you," he said, his eyes softening as he looked at her. "I'm fine, I promise. If we said something, then the media would make an even bigger deal out of it. If it becomes a problem we can do something, but for now I'm okay with doing nothing," she said, looking at the two men. Patric sighed, "Okay. If that's what you think is best?" She nodded. "Downie made a childish move by going to the media. Eventually they'll wonder why he just outed everything," she said. Patric slowly nodded. "I guess this could backfire on him," he said, barely sounding convinced. "Look, this whole thing has been crazy. Is it so bad that I want a peaceful relationship with the girl of my dreams?" Fleury said, making Skylar blush slightly. "That's not bad at all. C'mon lets go upstairs and watch a movie," Skylar said, grabbing Fleury's arm and tugging him towards the stairs. "Only a movie!" Patric called up the stairs. Shaking his head he sat down. Tired from the excessive drama, his eyelids fluttered and eventually closed. His body fell back against the couch, letting him drift off into some much needed sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to update this last night, but I got my hair done and it took 3 hours so I'm really sorry it's late :/ I hope you guys enjoy it and I promise I'll try to write some more long chapters later on!! Thanks for reading :D