Status: NOW ON WATTPAD

Rebellion

Closer

After that nightmare, I couldn't get back to sleep. Even after I calmed down, thanks to Jamison's quiet, soothing words, and his light strokes down my back, I just couldn't do it. I was so afraid of what I would dream of. I didn't want to see Jamison, lying dead on bloodstained sand, his face petrified in a scream of agony...

I sat up quickly, feeling sick to my stomach, and smacked my forehead against the bottom of the top bunk. Ow... I rubbed my forehead and J looked up at me, worried again.

"Are you okay?" I looked over, a little embarrassed, and nodded.

"That nightmare... It's just tripping me up." I frowned, looking away from his face. All I could see was his expression from the dream...

"Olivia, it was just a dream... Maybe talking about it will-"

"No." I shook my head, cutting him off quickly. The last thing I wanted was to recount my nightmare to the very person who was dead in it. He frowned and gently pulled me back down into his arms again, and I didn't resist. He always made me feel safe... It was a weird feeling. I knew we weren't actually safe anywhere, but with him...

I cut my own thoughts off quickly and just closed my eyes again as I listened to his slow, deep breathing. I knew he was breathing like that for my benefit; he knew it helped me calm down when I was able to match my breathing to his. I focused on him, only him, and found myself asleep again after only a few minutes.

I woke up a few hours later from a wonderful dreamless sleep. I opened my eyes slowly, knowing J was still holding me. I could feel the fingers of one hand lightly running up and down my spine, the other hand resting on the small of my back, and I didn't want to let this moment go just yet. I stayed silent, but gently clutched the front of his shirt a little tighter in my fingers. It was easy to forget about the war just outside, and our role in it, in moments like these. It was simple to pretend that J and I were just normal people, close friends, maybe even...

"How did you sleep?" Jamison whispered, his voice close to my ear. I slowly looked up at him, not willing to let go of this just yet.

"No dreams," I whispered back, and he nodded. He moved the hand that was stroking my back up to my head and gently ran his fingers through my hair. I smiled a little, a rare expression from me. I was so close to just closing my eyes again to fully enjoy this moment, but then, over his shoulder, I noticed the clock on the table. It was hours since Paige and Hunter left... They should've been back by now.

"Shit!" I sat up quickly, pulling out of his arms and, forgetting that we were still on the bottom bunk, smacking my head in the same spot as before. I groaned and held my head, shutting my eyes tight. Damn bunk beds... Jamison sat up carefully, now concerned.

"Liv? What's wrong?" He gently put a hand on the side of my head, looking at my forehead. I shook my head and got off the bed. I was kind of embarrassed, but at this point, the anxious feeling tying knots in my stomach was taking full control.

"I knew I shouldn't have let Hunter take Paige alone. It's been hours, J, and they're not back yet. Something's obviously wrong!" I started pacing, freaking out a little. I finally stopped pacing and grabbed my boots instead before sitting on the edge of the bed to put them on.

"Olivia?" Jamison asked, watching me closely to make sure I didn't go into full panic mode.

"I have to go after them. I need to make sure they're okay. Are you coming?" I looked up at him, and he nodded immediately, as if there was no other possible answer for him to give. I nodded and finished lacing my boots up before standing.

"Don't forget your jacket," Jamison reminded me, while putting on his shoes. I sighed at his concern, but did it anyway. His suggestions usually ended up being good things to follow. After throwing my hair up into a ponytail, I looked over at him and paused for a second, admiring his profile, those cute little freckles, his serious expression... I quickly shook my head and rubbed my temples. What was wrong with me today? I looked back over once I pulled myself together.

"Ready, J?" I asked as he stood up and adjusted his shirt, wrinkled by my hands. He looked up and nodded at me.

"Let's go."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, so sorry this took so long. Lots has been happening to both me and my coauthor, and this kind of got placed on the back burner. I hope this chapter makes up for it, and my coauthor should have her chapter up sometime in the near future as well!