Surviving the Cold

Surviving The Cold

Tears rolled down the side of her face. Warm and untouched by the cold air that surrounded her. Winter had come early this year, and the snow had been falling for the past two days. She stood on the bridge with her umberella above her head, and the cold wind wipping at her cheeks. Her tear stained face was the only warmth she felt on this desolate day. Without a person insight the girl felt horribly alone. All that could be seen when she looked up was the frozen lake below her. There wasn't much to the lake. Except memories of a winter come and gone.

Oh how she longed for that winter. The winter where she would always have a smile on her face. The one where there were no tears to be seen, and no sorrow to be felt. For her to just be on the lake with him. For her to be floating across the ice with him by her side. To feel the warmth he brought with him when he held her close. Just to have on last day. With him. Although she knew that that was an impossibe dream, she still gazed over the lake and cried until she felt hollow, and all of her tears had gone.

The girl continued to stare off across the lake. Just thinking of the boy. All that was going through her head was thoughts of him. Nothing else. Just him. The way he felt, the way he talked, and the way he laughed. Although, there wasn't much laughing done on his final day.

The girl had never felt so cold in her life. The cold that she had felt on the bridge was nothing compared to the cold she felt that day, two months ago.

They say that going to hospital is good for you. That the doctors and nurses will help you to feel better, but that is not always the case. Sometimes once you go in, you never come back out. Unfortunately the boy never came back out. Once you have been diagnosed you are either lucky or you aren't.

Some people are told. "We caught it early. We can cure you." Other's (like the boy) are told the unfortunate and sad news. "I am sorry to tell you this but you only have a month to live. We unfortunately did not catch it early enough."

The devastation she felt once she had found out about the boys condition was unbearable, but she swore not to let on how she felt. During his last couple of weeks she would visit the boy in the hospital. Keep him company, play games, and read to him.

She was determind to make the last memories she had of him happy ones. The day before he passed away, was a good day. The pair had a picnic in his room. The girl had baked all of his favourite things like cake, biscuts, scones, muffins and tarts. Anything to make him feel better. And on that day they laughed, and laughed. They spoke of the fun times they had together, and didn't dwell on the scary future that lie ahead of them.

The girl would never forget the boy. The boy she loved with all her heart. The boy who she would always remembers. The boy who's memory would bring her to this bridge every year after he had passed to remember the good times they had.

The boy who always held a place in her heart, and would never be forgotten.