Half Mice, Half Men

Chapter One

"You disgusting - "

Kick.

"Ungrateful - "

Kick.

"Piece of - "

Kick.

"Shit!"

Kick.

Kick, punch, kick, punch. Step on, kick, step on, kick. Burn, punch, kick. Burn, punch, kick. That's all that was going on.

"You are worthless," the man hissed at his son as he kicked him repeatedly in the gut. The poor ginger was crying and bleeding from the abuse. He wanted it to be over, but he knew better than to speak. Finally, though, his father seemed to be pleased with his abuse and stops kicking Alan, walking off.

Alan wiped at his eyes with his sweater sleeve and sniffled as he tried to stand. He nearly fell over, but caught himself with the wall. He walked slowly down the hall to his room, quiet whimpers escaping his pretty pink lips.

His room was a rather small room with only enough space for a small bed and one dresser. He didn't mind it so much. He enjoyed comfy places that were snug. He goes to the small connecting bathroom and takes off his clothes slowly.

His tail slipped around his waist as he removed his pants and underwear. His cat ears twitched as the fabric of his shirt brushed past them as he took it off. He was a cat hybrid - his dad being the werecat, his mom the human giving birth to a hybrid. Half man, half cat.

Ever since his mother died, his dad began abusing him. Alan knew it was out of despair, but it didn't make it any less wrong. Alan always wore a bruise in some way or form. Whether they be from his father or the other mythical creatures from his school.

But they had moved to a different house and Alan was starting a new school. He was nervous, he knew there were werewolves in this area, they were always the biggest bullies. Every other creature was stronger than him, and they hated him for that. Half human hybrids were frowned upon. Even humans hated them for how weak they were.

He whimpers as his body was hit by the warm water. It stung a bit, but he lived. He watched as the water slid down his petite body. A sob escaped past his lips as he sees just how beat up he was. He gently grabbed the shampoo and poured some in his hand and began to scrub his hair gently, looking out for his ears.

Then he reaches for the sponge and bar soap and begins to gently scrub his body. He goes back under the water and lets it wash away the soap. He closes his eyes and enjoys the warm, slightly hot, water massaging his body. Then he turns it off.

He quickly dries himself and puts on his cat pajamas before going to bed. He wasn't ready for the next day, he knew he started school and he was extremely nervous. He sets his alarm and goes into a restless sleep.

~~~

Alan woke to his alarm and he quietly got out of bed. He walks to his small closet and picks out black skinny jeans, an oversized t-shirt, and a black hoodie that was two sizes to big on him. He changed delicately, everything he did being gentle.

He puts on socks and his VANS. Then he walks into his bathroom and brushes his teeth. His hair looked fine, so he didn't bother with it. He walks out and turns off the light. He reaches for his bagpack and walks out of his room quietly, turning off the light as he left as well.

Alan leaves the house quietly and walks to the bus stop where he sees a few other kids. The bus pulls up shortly after and he boards sitting in the front. He hid his ears from the others in his hair.

When the bus pulls up to the school, he is the last one to climb off. He walks to the office and waits patiently in line. When he does reach the front, the desk lady asked him nicely what he needed. "I-I'm n-new here. A-Al-lan A-Ashby."

"Oh, yes. The hybrid, the principle wanted to speak with you privately about that. His office is right there," she said, pointing the door behind him. He immediately noticed how her tone went from kind to digusted. His eyes watered a bit at that. He nodded mutely and entered after she gave him his schedule. He knocks softly on the door of the principle.

"Come in," a strong voice called. Alan immediately began shaking. Older men scared him. He opened the door gently and entered. The principle smiled gently. "You must be Alan, please have a seat. I'm Principle Carlile." Alan did so after nodding.

"Alan, you know a lot of people don't very much like your species, right?" He nodded, ashamed. "I don't very much care for what you are. If anyone bothers you, please let me know, okay?"

He nods, but he knew he wouldn't. "Good, oh, and, Alan, are you fertile?" Alan blushed, but nodded. The principle chuckled, "I assume you know what to do during that time."

Alan nodded as his answer. Mr. Carlile nodded, "Good. You can go to class now. Here's a pass," he said, handing Alan the piece of paper. "Bye," he mumbled softly and left, closing the door behind him quietly.

He walked around the school until he found his first class. AP Physics with Mr. Way. He knocked on the door. A man shorter than Alan opened up. He had black hair and pale skin. "Yes?"

"I'm in the class," he mumbles shyly, handing the teacher the pass. The teacher smiled gently after. "Ah, yes. Come in. Introduce yourself. Say your name and what you are."

Alan winced, but entered and everyone immediately stopped talking. "Um, I-I'm Alan an-and I-I'm a-a hy-hybrid." Immediately after, the insults began.

"Eww, get that thing out of here."

"A hybrid? You mean a disgrace."

"Another one?! We have enough with one as it is!"

Mr. Way frowned and grew angry. "Everybody, shut up. Leave the poor kid alone!"

"Aw, come on, Frank. He's a waste of space."

"Shut up, Mikey. Just because I'm married to your brother doesn't mean I'll let you bully an innocent kid. How do you think Gerard would feel if I told him what you just did?"

Mikey paled, "Come on, Frank. Let's not make any rash decisions."

Frank smirked, "That's what I thought." Then he turned to Alan. "Have a seat beside Kellin. Kellin, raise your hand." A small kid in the back raised his hand and Alan made his way over there. He sat down gracefully. Kellin shot him a small smile and Alan returned it. "Hi," Kellin whispered.

"Hello," Alan mumbled back.

"I'm sorry for what they said."

Alan sighed, "It's okay. I'm used to it." Kellin nodded in understanding. "Me too. I'm a hybrid as well." Alan smiled, but went back to paying attention in class.

The class period flew by and before Alan knew it, the bell rang. He packed his stuff slowly and was the last one to leave along with Kellin. He immediately became friends with Kellin who was just as shy and reserved as him. They were going to sit together at lunch.

At the end of the day, Alan was getting some books from his locker when he's pushed into the other lockers from behind. He whimpered and fell to the ground in pain. His attacker immediately began to beat him up adding more bruises to Alan's collection.

By the time they finished, every part of Alan hurt. He whimpered quietly as he tried to get up. He knew he probably missed his bus, so he'd have to walk home. He tried sitting up, but it failed when his arms gave out. He knew he'd be spending a while there.

~~~

Austin was walking to his car with his friends Tino and Oli. The few kids left in the hallways froze when they spotted them. They were worshipped in this school. Everyone either wanted them, or wanted to be them. Austin being the leader since he was next in line to be Alpha. He stood tall and broad covered in tattoos. With a solid height of 6'4, he intimidated everyone.

Then there was Oli who came close to Austin. He would be Beta once Austin became Alpha. He was 5'11 and was covered in just as much tattoos. He had this sexy British accent and big body. Tino was the third in command. He had a beard and was Hispanic. He was tall and strong. He could outrun anyone. But they had been graduated, four years ago. Austin had just gone to visit his dad.

They reached the school doors when Austin froze. His friends stopped as well and turned to look at what he was looking at. There lay a kid trying get up. He was using his arms for support and managed to get to his knees. But once he stood straight, his body gave out. Austin rushed forward and caught the kid before he hit the ground.

Austin felt stronger and more alive once he touched the ginger. He knew why this was so. Why he felt fire course his veins, why he felt stronger, why he wanted to hug this ginger and never let him go. He found his mate, but the ginger began shaking. He looked up at Austin in fear, "P-Please d-d-don't h-hurt me. P-Please." Austin felt his heart break as he heard those words stumble out of his beautiful mate's mouth.

"I won't. I promise. But I will need to take you to the pack healer. What's your name?" He picked up Alan and noticed the tail wrap around Alan's tiny waist. Oh, he must the hybrid everyone was talking about. Oh... and the hybrid that Ronnie beat up.

"A-Alan." Alan. It suited him.

Oli and Tino caught up with him and stayed silent. That is until they heard a voice in their heads. He's my mate.

Are you for real, Oli asks back telepathically.

Yes.

Congratulations, dude, Tino said.

They each drove in their own cars, Alan with Austin. "Ar-Are y-you going to h-h-hurt me," Alan whispered. Austin frowned. "Of course not. I would never hurt my mate."

Alan froze. "Wh-What? But I-I'm a hybrid."

"So? A mate's a mate. And I couldn't have gotten a more beautiful one." Alan blushed at the compliment and Austin chuckled. They pull up to a mansion and Austin carries Alan inside. He rushes him to a certain door and when they enter, Alan sees it's an infirmary. Austin sets him on a bed. "Jenna!"

Alan flinched at the loud noise and Austin immediately regretted shouting, but it did get Jenna to appear. "Yes, Austin?" Alan was surprised at her Australian accent.

"I need you to check him. He was beat up pretty bad and it hurts him to walk." Jenna nodded and asked Alan to take off his sweater. Alan tensed at the command. His sweater was the only thing hiding his bruises. "I-I c-can't."

"It's okay, sweetie. Would you feel better if Austin left?" He nodded shyly and Austin felt offended his own mate didn't feel safe with him. "But I - "

"Leave, Austin."

Austin grumbled, but left. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings." Alan said, feeling guilty.

"Don't worry about it, honey. He just wants to spend time with you, is all. But can you please take off your sweater, hun?" Alan sighed, but began to remove the article of clothing asked. Jenna gasped and Alan felt shame wash over him. "Darlin', who did this to you?"

"I don't know," but he did. He only had his sweater off, but his arms were covered in bruises. "Sugar, I'm afraid I have to ask you to remove your shirt." He does so, gently, his ears twitching as the fabric brushed against them. When he looks at her, he sees Jenna biting her lip in sadness.

"Sorry, guys, I forgot my bag. Jenna, could you han - " Alan and Jenna turned to face Austin who stood in the doorway. Austin felt anger growing inside of him at what he was seeing. Alan - his mate - was covered in bruises and scars. Alan whimpered at the anger he saw in Austin's eyes. Did he do something wrong?

"Austin, step outside," Jenna said, forcefully. "You ain't ready to see this!"

"Not ready?! Jenna, my mate is covered in bruises. This is my business!"

Alan flinched and began hyperventilating. Jenna rushed to his side and layed him down. She brought a gas mask to his head and helped him breathe. But he passed out and she hooks him up to the machine. Who knew how long before he woke up.

She strips him to his underwear with the help of Austin. He was practically seething when he saw his mate's body. It took everything in him to not go on a killing rampage. Jenna treated Alan's wounds before dressing him a hospital gown.

Alan awoke in a bed he didn't recognize. He began breathing deeply when a voice rang out soothingly. "Hey, hey. It's okay. It's okay. Relax," they whispered soothingly, rubbing his back in a calming way. Alan had not flinched at any sort of contact for the first time.

His breathing regulated, but he cowered when he saw who it was. "Hey, now, don't be afraid. I will never hurt you." Alan nodded out of fear. "Good," and Alan was wrapped in a hug in which he flinched, but calmed down at the relaxing touch.

"Alan, oh, thank goodness. I was so worried!" Alan turns to face his only friend. "You have no idea how fast I ran here when I heard you were in the infirmary of a pack. What happened?" Kellin asks in one breath.

Alan smiled and slowly unravelled himself from Austin. But Austin didn't want to not touch Alan, so he held his hand. "I-I'm not too sure. I just - I recall getting beat up."

Kellin's ears flattened into his hair sadly. "I'm sorry I wasn't there."

"I-It's o-okay." Kellin nodded and took a seat beside Alan. Austin sees Oli at the door and lets go of Alan's hand to talk to him. Alan was to busy giggling and talking with Kellin to notice, who was just as giggly and talking. "What is it?" Austin asked once he reached him.

"I... I found my mate." He was looking in the room and Austin followed his gaze to Alan and Kellin. Oli stood frozen as he watched him. In all his years of visiting the high school, he nevr noticed Kellin, Kellin who was always bullied for being a hybrid. Kellin who was too busy giggling and laughing with Alan to notice his heart beat increasing.

When their giggling fest did calm down, Kellin frowned causing Alan to frown. He sits up in bed and places his hand over Kellin's. "What's wrong?" Neither noticed his mate growling in jealousy. "I-I'm not sure." He places a hand over his heart and frowned at the the rapid beating. "Weird."

"Are you okay," Alan asked, worried. Kellin smiled and nodded, "Yes. But let's not worry about me. You're the one with machines hooked up to them." They both giggled and Austin and Oli smiled. They finally walk back into the room. They each stand behind their mates and that's when Kellin freezes.

He turns to face Oli and gasps. He hurriedly leans forward to Alan's ear and whispers something before bolting out of the room. As soon as it settled in Oli's mind what just happened, he ran after him, shouting a bye in his wake.

He saw Kellin run outside and he followed him, rushing down the stairs. Kellin runs to the forest and he follows after. But Kellin was fast. He rushes into the forest and shifts to his wolf-form. His shattered clothes fell where they lay.

As he chases Kellin, he finally corners him against a tree. Kellin stared at him in fear. Oli shifts back, not caring that he's naked, and walks towards Kellin's smaller body. Kellin looked at anywhere but him until Oli was a foot away. He stared up at Oli, fear shining through his eyes.

Oli steps closer causing Kellin to step back, but he steps forward again and Kellin steps back until his back hits the tree. Oli steps forward until his front is touching Kellin. He places a hand on Kellin's waist causing Kellin to jump, but he places the other beside Kellin's head.

"You're mine," Oli whispers, breath fanning Kellin's parted pink lips. He didn't know what to say. How could he - a hybrid - be mated to someone so attractive and important as Oliver Scott Sykes? Why did hybrids get mated to such important people like Austin and Oli?

But before he could ring out his opposed belief of No, he is not Oli's mate, someone presses their lips to his. He turns his head in another direction, disconnecting their lips and moves back until his head is touching the tree, but Oli leans forward slower this time and connects their lips once again. Kellin moves a hand to push him away, but Oli grabs it and places it against the tree. He did the same with the other so Kellin was pinned against the tree.

Kellin's eyes were wide, well wider than usual, and Oli gently moves his lips against Kellin's and Kellin feels his eyes flutter shut. He begins to kiss back passively and Oli smiles against his soft lips. Kellin unravels his hands from Oli's hold and wraps them around his neck, deepening the kiss. His body was working solely on instinct.

Oli raises Kellin's body higher against the tree and wrapped Kellin's legs around his naked torso. He unattaches their lips and moves down Kellin's neck. He stops when he reaches Kellin's sweater. He pushes away the sweater and shirt exposing Kellin's milky, pale skin.

He presses tender kisses there and Kellin blushed at the act of intimacy. Oli's lips moved to right above Kellin's collar bones and pressed a kiss there. "This is where my mark will be," he states clear as day and Kellin's blush darkens.

Oli seemed to notice Kellin's embarrassment. "What's wrong?"

"That was," he swallows. "That was my first kiss," he mumbles shyly. His hears hiding in his raven hair in embarrassment. Oli smiled gently. "That's fine. It's good your mate was your first kiss, but it wouldn't have been bad either had I not been." Kellin nods, and Oli continues, but this time he whispers it in Kellin's ear, "As long as I'm the first one you make love to." Kellin tenses and blushes.

"Um, may you put your clothes back on?" Kellin mumbles, looking away.

"I would, love," Kellin blushes at the pet name, "but they're shredded by now."

~~~

Alan sat in his hospital bed talking to Austin and actually enjoying his company. Austin was kind, smart, and funny. He had Alan laughing at his stupid corny jokes. He was currently sharing one with Alan.

"How much does the polar bear weigh?"

Alan sent him an amused glance, "Um, I can't say that know."

"Enough to break the ice!" Alan chuckled, but shook his head. "That was bad."

"Hey," Austin defended. "You laughed."

"Well, yes, because the joke was so bad, it was funny." Austin grumbled and shot Alan a glare, but you could see he was just kidding with Alan. Jenna walks in and smiles at the couple. "How's it going?"

"Fine. Am I ready to leave yet?"

"Let me check, doll," Jenna responds, checking Alan's vitals. "Well, I don't see anything wrong, so yep. Go ahead and change into your clothes and you can leave."

"Yay," Alan squeals. Austin chuckles as Jenna begins to unhook Alan. "Um, Aus-Austin?"

"Yes, darling?"

"Can you help me change?" Alan blushed as he asked that question. "Of course," he responds just as Jenna finished unhooking Alan. She left, pecking Alan's forehead. Austin picked Alan up and placed his feet gently on the floor. He begins untying Alan's hospital gown and it glides swiftly off Alan's body.

Austin had to refrain himself from growling at Alan's bruises. He grabs Alan's clothes and starts with the jeans. He gets down to his knees and gets Alan's feet through the holes before pulling them up. Even for skinny jeans, they were kind of loose around Alan's legs.

Then he begins putting Alan's shirt on. He had to smile as Alan's ears twitched when the shirt brushed past them. It was adorable. He grabs the socks and puts them on Alan along with his shoes. He finally grabs Alan's sweater and puts it on Alan gently.

He takes Alan's hand and begins pulling him out of the room gently. He begins taking Alan upstairs and Alan frowns. "Aren't you going to take me home?"

Austin shakes his head, "Your mate moves in with you once you find them. If you're worried about your parents, they should know the rules since I'm sure at least one of them is the mythical creature."

"Yeah," Alan mumbles sadly. Austin noticed the change in his voice and stopped walking to face Alan. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing. Nothing," Alan mumbled. Austin frowned and raised his hand, but before he could do what he planned, Alan flinched away and began backing up. "Don't hurt me, please. I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me." Alan whimpered as his back hit the wall.

Austin frowned and walked slowly towards Alan. "Alan, love, I'm not going to hurt you. Remember, I'm Austin. I will never hurt you. It's okay, you're okay." He reaches Alan and gently pulls him into his arms. Alan takes a deep breath and his once tense body relaxes.

He cried into Austin's chest and Austin felt his heart break. "I'm sorry," Alan whimpered.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," he replies and brings a hand to Alan's hair and runs his hand through the ginger locks. He hoists Alan up and lets the ginger wrap his arms around his neck as he carries him to his - their - room.

He sits on the bed with Alan in his lap as Alan's legs were thrown over one of his. Alan pulls away slowly and wipes at his eyes with his sweater sleeve. Austin would have found it adorable if it weren't for the fact that his mate was hurting.

"Sorry," Alan mumbled, repeating apologies.

"Kitten," Austin began in a soft tone. "It's okay. You've got nothing to be sorry for." This time he raises his hand slowly so that Alan can see his every move. He brings it to Alan's face gently and, though Alan did flinch, he cupped one side of Alan's face. He wiped away any tears that fell with his thumb.

"You're so beautiful," he whispers to Alan. Alan lowered his head in embarrasssment as his cheeks lit up to a pink, rosy color. Austin pecks his head. They stay in each other's embrace until Austin speaks up. "Alan, can I ask you a serious question?"

"I-I guess."

"Are - were - you abused?" Alan tenses in his arms and pulls back. He stared at Austin with wide and fearful eyes. That was Austin's answer. He felt hatred grow for whoever hurt his princess. "Who was it, baby?"

"I-I can't tell you."

"Yes, you can. Whoever hurt you before can not and will not hurt you here. Please tell me, Kitten."

Alan had fear shining through his brown eyes, but nodded. "It was - it was my dad," he whispered. Austin's grip on Alan tightened, not enough to hurt him - God, Austin would have probably killed himself if he ever hurt Alan - but his anger almost got the best of him. "I'm going to kill him." He threatened in a low voice.

"Please don't. He-He's the only family I have left. He only started when my mom died," Alan begged Austin. Austin looked at his mate. Alan stared up at him, begging for the life of the monster who abused him. His mate truly was perfect. "Okay, but you are never to go back there." Alan nods and smiles. He throws his arms around Austin, "Thank you."

Austin smiled and breathed in Alan's scent. "I do have one more question." Alan sighs and that almost made Austin not question him, but he had to know. "What kind of abuse was it?"

"Just physical," Alan mumbled. Austin sighed. He wouldn't have to kill the man after all. If Austin had found out that that thing had touched Alan inappropriately, he would have killed him.

"Let's get to know each other," Austin announces, smiling. "How?"

"20 questions, except not really. We'll just keep asking questions, okay?"

"Okay." Alan pulls back to stare at Austin. "Who goes first?"

"You, of course," Austin replies. Alan nods.

"What's your last name?"

"Carlile."

"Wait - is your dad the principle?"

"Yep. That's two questions. I get to ask two now."

"Sorry," Alan blushes. Austin tells him it's fine and asks him his questions. "Favorite animal?"

"I think it's obvious," Alan smiles.

"Geez, sassy," Austin teases causing Alan to giggle. It was one of the cutest things ever. "Okay, next question is what's your middle name?"

"Anthony."

"Alan Anthony? Huh. Your turn."

"What is your position in the pack?"

"Next in line Alpha." Alan's breath hitches. "What?"

"Yep. You're mated to an Alpha. My turn. Okay, last name?"

"Ashby."

"Awww. You're Triple A. Alan Anthony Ashby!"

Alan blushes, "Yeah, what's your favorite color?"

"Blue. Favorite movie?"

"500 Days of Summer. Age?"

"21, turning 22 in September. Disney or Nickelodeon?"

"Uh, Nickelodeon." Austin's jaw dropped. "What?"

"Nickelodeon? Really, Kitten? Disney's so much better. Do you know how many princesses there are?"

Alan giggled, "I'm guessing you're Team Disney."

"Dude, Disney for the win."

"Okay, okay. My turn. Um, Family Guy or American Dad?"

"Family Guy. Favorite actress?"

"Zooey Deschanel. Favorite band?"

"Slipknot." And that's how they spent their afternoon until the last question. "Okay," Austin begins. "Last question... will you go out with me?" Alan's eyes widen and he stares at Austin in shock. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Austin replies instantly.

"I - Okay," Alan mumbles. Austin smiles and pecks Alan's forehead. "Great," and then Alan yawns. Austin had to hold back an, "Aww."

"You tired, Kitten?"

"A little. Where will I be sleeping?"

"With me. Well, if it's okay with you, of course."

Alan yawns again, "That's fine." Austin climbs off the bed with Alan in his arms and lays him down. He removes Alan's shoes and sweater. He didn't have much clothes for Alan, but he got out one of his own t-shirts. He removed Alan's clothes, giving him little requests here and there. Finally, he got his shirt on Alan who was entirely to small for that shirt.

The shirt reached down to his knees and the sleeve kept falling off of Alan's shoulder. But he looked adorable and he was too tired to complain, so Austin covered him with the sheets and Alan cuddled into the pillow, falling asleep shortly after.