Half Mice, Half Men

Chapter Three

"Alan! Alan! Alan! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" Alan stirs in his sleep and snuggles closer to Austin who holds him tighter. Alan didn't want to wake up, then. He was comfortable and safe. "Alan," the voice whined. "Wake up! We're hanging out today! Just the two of us!"

"Okay, Kellin," Alan mumbled sleepily. "Later, though, I promise." Then he goes back to sleep. Kellin agrees and leaves. He didn't know how long before Alan woke up.

Austin held Alan tightly as they slept. Alan had managed to go back to his peaceful slumber as Austin dug his face into Alan's neck. The slept like that for another good hour until Austin wakes up first. But he stays in the position he was in and breathes in Alan's scent.

He feels his wolf start getting restless and his canines appear. He opens his mouth and he almost marks Alan, right then and there. But he shuts his mouth and clenches his eyes shut. No, he thought. I will not mark Alan without his consent.

He relaxes and buries his face back in Alan's neck. He does, however, press a kiss into the spot where his mark would be. Alan stirs now and rolls around until he's on his back. He sits up, Austin not removing the arm from his waist, and stretches. "Good morning," he mumbles, sleepily.

"Good morning, princess. How'd you sleep?"

"Fine. How was yours?"

"Great. Come on, we gotta get up."

"Yeah, I know. I promised Kellin we'd hang out." He rolls off the bed and begins changing. Austin averted his gaze, but when he did see little portions of Alan's skin, he noticed most of the bruises were faded. It made him smile.

When Alan finishes changing, he goes into the bathroom to brush his teeth and do his hair and Austin begins putting on clothes. He slept in his boxers.

Alan walks out and begins making the bed. Just as he finishes, so does Austin. They walk out together, and Kellin immediately begins rushing towards them. "Austin, give Alan money." Austin takes out his wallet. "How much?"

"2-3 hundred dollars." He takes out the amount and gives it to Alan who protests.

"W-What? I-I can't take this. It's too much."

Austin folds the money and places it in Alan's back pocket. "Buy everything you want. Have fun." He pecks Alan's forehead.

Kellin takes his hand and pulls them out. "Wait, Kellin! Alan needs to eat!" Austin calls.

"We're eating out! Bye!" He pulls them out of the house and to the garage.

"Who's car are we taking?" Alan asks.

"Oli's. Took a lot of kissing for him to finally say yes. And by kissing, I mean I kissed him and used that as a distraction and took his keys." Alan laughs. He begins driving off.

"You know, you've changed since you discovered Oli was your mate."

"You have, as well."

"I have?"

"Oh, yeah. You're definitely so much happier. You laugh more, smile. You don't flinch at touches anymore. You've changed for the better."

Alan quiets down. He hadn't realized how much Austin has helped him. The drive was silent for a few minutes until Alan speaks up. "Wow. I hadn't noticed."

"Yeah, that's why I'm so glad you have Austin. That man is in love with you."

Alan chokes on his spit. "Love?!"

Kellin chuckles, "Oh, yeah. He is head over heels for you."

"I don't think so. We just met."

"That doesn't matter here. You two are destined to be, you're expected to fall in love early because you're never going to leave each other."

"But, Kellin, I don't - I don't deserve him." Kellin slams the brakes.

"Alan Anthony Ashby, never say that again. You deserve much more, like loving arms to hold you close, whispers when it matters most. You are an amazing person who went through something he shouldn't have. But you know what, that just made you stronger as a person. You deserve the best there is. Okay?"

Alan sighs, "Okay."

"Good," then Kellin starts the car back up. The rest of the drive is spent in silence. That is until Alan sees a car from the mirrors. It looked familiar, but all the windows were tinted and he couldn't make out the driver. He didn't think much of it at first, but when he sees it making the same turns as them, he becomes skeptical.

"Alan, have you noticed the car following us?"

"Oh, thank God I'm not the only who sees it. I thought I was going crazy."

"Well, we're here. Let's see if they get off with us and if we recognize them." They park outside the small restaurant and the car keeps driving and they breathe a sign of relief.

They climb out of the car and enter the restaurant. "How many," the lady in front asked with a Hispanic accent. "Two."

It was then Alan realized they were in a Mexican restaurant. They take a seat across from each other. They both made sure their ears were hidden in their hair. While humans knew about the mythical creatures, they also knew hybrids were scum compared to all the others. They hated them just as much.

They tell the waitress what they would like to drink before they begin looking through the menus. They both agreed to share something together since they both had the world's smallest stomachs.

The waitress comes back with their drinks and asks them if they're ready. "Um, yes. We'll take the chimichangas with chicken."

"Are you two sharing?"

"Yes," they respond.

"Okay. I'll have that out for you as soon as possible."

She scurries off. "So, where are we going after this," Alan asks.

"Mall," Kellin responds, grabbing a tortilla chip and dipping it in the sauce.

The food arrives shortly after and they both get one chimichanga and they shared the beans and rice. When they finish, they split the bill and drive off. This time, not aware of the car following them.

They arrive at the mall not long after. They enter hand in hand, making sure their ears were hidden and their tails under their pants and shirts. No one gave them a second glance. "What store to first," Alan asks.

"H&M." They walk to the escalator and take it to the second floor and heads towards the store. Except instead of going into the male store, they went into the female. "Kellin, why this one," Alan asks, curiously.

"We both know we wouldn't fit into anything in the guy section."

"True," Alan mumbles back. They walk in and begin looking through the jeans. Alan finally found a small size. "Alan?"

"Yeah?"

"How are you and Austin?"

Alan had to smile at the thought of him, "Great." Kellin smiled back. "Have you guys kissed?"

Alan's smile stayed, but he began blushing, "No."

"Aww, Alan. That's okay. We all know Austin loves you enough to wait for it."

"What about you and Oli?" Alan asks, looking through some shorts, trying to find his size. Kellin was across from him on the other side, looking through shirts. "Great also."

"I'm not even going to ask if you guys have kissed because I know you have," Alan teases, making a digusted face.

"Oh, shut up. I really like him," Kellin argued, playfully. Alan grabs his pants and shorts and walks to Kellin's side. "I know. I really like Austin, too."

They finally pick out some clothes that could pass off as unisex and go try it on.

Alan and Kellin shop until their heart's content. They were having a great time that they both didn't notice their heart's beating faster. They walk to the car to put their bags away before walking back into the mall.

They held hands as they walked and they went up to the second floor to go to another store. That's when things went wrong.

They don't know who or how, but one, or maybe both, exposed their ears. And hybrids being frowned upon and hated in their world, well some people didn't take too kindly to them. And while some just glared and scoffed at them, others took matters into their own hands.

"Hey, freaks!" By instinct, they both turned to look at who called out. They're met with a group of built guys who had glares on their faces and were slowly stalking closer. Alan and Kellin gave each other scared glances before they took off.

They ran down the aisles, making sure to avoid people, repeating apologies if they bumped into anyone. But they reached the end, and they see the goons catching up on them. They walk to edge and jump down onto the first floor.

They see the jerks running down the stairs after them. They were nowhere near an exit, so they ran into the nearest store. It was huge and neither knew which way the exit was. They begin running in any direction.

They ran for a good while until they reached a dead end. They turn to look at each other before turning around and seeing the same guys walking forward with smirks on their faces. Alan grabbed Kellin's hand and was about to take off to his side, but he saw one of the guys closing in as well.

They were surrounded.

They backed up until their backs hit the wall. As Alan looked to any one for help, he noticed that the people were either oblivious to it, or were plain out ignoring what was happening. He turns back to face his attacker and when he sees him about to throw the first punch, his grip on Kellin's hand tightens and he clenches his eyes, waiting for the blow.

But it never came.

He slowly opens his eyes and in front of him stood Austin. He was holding the guy's wrist in his hand mere inches away from Alan's face.

Alan turns to face Kellin who had Oli blocking him from the attackers. "Carlile? What are you doing?" The main goon asked, confused.

"Protecting my mate," Austin growled. Alan's heart sped up, but he was confused. Why was Austin here? Why was Oli?

"Your mate? No, no way. Austin, dude, I'm so sorry you got mated with that thing."

Wait, that's when Alan remembered. The car he knew was familiar.

"Don't speak about him like that," Austin threatened.

It was Austin's car. Then his heart speeding up in the mall.

"Why? It's what he is!"

Austin knowing that Alan was in danger. Unless they were mated, Austin would have not been able to sense it.

"I'm only saying this once, never bother either of them again, or you will have a whole pack of angry werewolves after you." The human did look afraid and while he glared at Austin, he nodded and they walked away.

Austin and Oli were following us. Alan's eyes widen at the realization and he had never felt more betrayed.

"You followed us," he mumbled to the floor.

"Alan, baby, are you okay?"

Alan shook his head because, "No, I'm not okay."

"What happened? What did they do?"

"I'm hurt, Austin." Not once had Alan picked up his head.

"Where? Do you need to see Jenna?"

"My heart." And he finally looks up and Austin sees the betrayal shining in them. They penetrated Austin's core. "You followed us." And Alan vaguely hears Kellin gasp.

"You followed us." And Austin looked ashamed and guilty. "Maybe it's best you leave me alone."

"Alan - " but Alan ran off. "Alan!" But he kept running. "Kellin! Wait - where - " but then Oli got out of ear shot. He runs back to Oli's car and when he stops he sees Kellin behind him. When he arrived, Alan saw the same hurt in Kellin's eyes.

"Are you okay," Alan asked.

"No. They don't - they don't trust us," he whispered and that's when ears fell. They hugged each other as they both cried. But then they heard their names being called and see Austin and Oli catching up.

They both jump into the car and Kellin starts it before driving off. Going who knows where, just far, far away.

But back with Austin and Oli, they stood dumbfounded and guilt-stricken. They knew what they were doing was wrong, but they had to make sure their mates were safe. But instead, they had made their mates cry.

They watch the car drive off in the opposite direction of where the pack house is. "Wait, they're not going home." Austin points out. "Oh, shit. We gotta go af'er 'em." They rush to Austin's car and book it out of the mall after Oli's car.

They rush out to the highway, but they didn't spot Oli's car. That means they didn't spot Alan and Kellin.

But Kellin had driven to the beach, a good two hours from where the pack is. They parked their car on the side of the road with the other cars there. It would help them camoflauge with the crowd. "You want to get in," Alan asks in a broken voice.

"Yeah," Kellin mumbles just as broken. They both climb out only to climb back in into the backseat where they look through the bags for swimming trunks they bought. Then Alan gets out a tank top to put on with it as well.

They change in the backseat, making sure to not look at each other. Then they climb out. They wrap their tails around their waists and rest their ears in their hair.

"Do you want to ask someone if they'll let us borrow their sunscreen? Or do you want to buy some?"

"Anything's fine," Alan mumbled and since they both couldn't handle strangers, they walked into the nearest store and bought some towels, sunscreen, and a few other things.

They walk back to the beach where they lay the towels down along with their shoes, the sunglasses that they bought, and their phones hidden from sight.

"Will you put sunscreen on my back, Alan?"

"Yep." Kellin takes off the tank top exposing his small torso and Alan pours some onto his hand before rubbing them together and then spreading them on Kellin's soft back.

They had gotten some wolf whistles at that to which they blushed to, but continued. Then it was Alan's turn. He turns around and removes his top, letting Kellin rub the sunscreen onto his back. He shivered a bit at the coldness of the cream.

The wolf whistles continued, but they ignored them. When Kellin finishes, they each begin to rub sunscreen onto their arms, legs, torso, neck, shoulders, and face. "I think we're done."

"I think so, too," Kellin agrees. Now they begin walking towards the ocean. They both let out squeals at the cold before giggling. They both begin swimming and floating in the water before splashing each other.

They eventually go back on shore and watch the surfers who all had sun-kissed skin and long shaggy hair with surfer bodies. As they watched those in the water, they didn't notice two of the surfers walking towards them.

They jump when someone is at their side. Alan looks away from the beach to the surfer beside him. "Oh, hello."

"Hey, there, beautiful. My name's Shayley. But you can call me Shay."

Alan blushes at the compliment, but smiles at him, unaware of the flirting. "I'm Alan. This is my best friend, Kellin." Shay waves at Kellin, smiling.

"I'm Victor, but you can call me Vic," the other surfer dude said, the one flirting with Kellin.

"Nice to meet you," they say politely. "So, darlings, what are you?"

Kellin and Alan look at each other nervously. "I've seen that look before. Hybrids, right?" Vic asked. They nod timidly.

"Not a problem. We're mermen," Shayley smirks, sitting beside Alan. They each get into an animated conversation about the water when Shayley offers to teach Alan how to surf.

"But I don't have a money to spare."

Shayley chuckles, "No, babydoll, for you, it's free."

"Are you sure," Alan asks timidly.

"'Course, come on." And Alan finds himself nodding. Shayley grabs his board and they begin walking to the ocean.

"That sounds like a great idea," Vic says, over hearing Shay's conversation with Alan. "You want to learn how to surf, gorgeous?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure."

They also walk down. They walk to the ocean where Shayley and Alan are on the same board, waiting for a wave. When they see one, Shayley begins to paddle and he helps Alan stand before they're gliding. "Good, now stand like this," his hands run down Alan's bare skin as he helps him adjust his position. Vic was doing the same with Kellin, his hands ligering a little too long.

"You're a natural," Shayley praises.

And back at shore, two werewolves watched on angrily. They had finally found Oli's car which means that they also found Alan and Kellin. And they found them all right, basically being groped by two strangers.

They had watched as the two strangers touched their mates. How when they sat on the board, how they faced each other, how close their faces were, how the strangers watched Alan and Kellin with lust. How they were so ready to kill someone!

Alan and Kellin were laughing at a joke Shay said. Vic had swam the surf board to be beside Alan and Shay's board. When it dies down, Shay speaks, "Hey, Alan, wanna hear a secret?"

Alan nods and Shay leans in to Alan's ear, Austin was going to kill him. He was going to kill him.

"You're sexy." And Alan pulls back, chuckling. "No."

"Yes, I'd have sex with you." Austin had steam coming out of his ears, he did. Okay, he didn't, but he felt like he did. Alan makes a face and pushes Shayley off the board. "No," he whines.

Shayley resurfaces and shakes his head to move the hair out of his face. "I think that deserves some kind of payback, don't you, Vic?"

"I agree, Shay."

Alan pales. "What? No, no. Shay, no! Shayley!" But it was too late, Shay had pulled him into the water and Alan squealed at the coldness. "I hate you," he glares at Shay.

"Aw, come on, now, Alco. I'm sorry."

"No," Alan says, turning away and climbing back onto the board like Shay had taught him.

"Please, Alco. I wubbles you. Please forgive me."

Alan cracks a smile at that and nods. "Okay."

"Yay!" Then Shay climbs back onto the board. Vic looks at the sun. "It's getting late. You guys want to head back." Alan looks at the sun before Kellin who had the same expression. They both sigh, but nod.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Vic asks worriedly.

"Nothing," they mumble.

"Come on, guys. I like to think we're friends now and you can trust us." The hybrids look at each other before speaking. "It's just our mates," they watched the mermen as they speak, but they seemed to really care. Though, they were upset the hybrids were mated, they still cared for them in the few hours they got to know them.

"Well, today, we had gone to the mall and..." they explained everything to the mermen who listened intently, only asking small questions here and there and nodding when necessary until the very end.

"Well, I don't think what they did was right, but I do see where they're coming from," Vic begins. Kellin raises an eye-brow.

"Vic's right. You guys are hybrids, and while we have no problem with that, other people do. I'm sure your mates only followed you because of that. They were worried about you, sure a little protective, but they meant no harm."

"I guess."

"I know. But when you do go home, make them beg for forgiveness," Shay says with a mischeivious gleam in his eyes. The hybrids giggle but nod.

They begin swimming back until they reach the shore. Vic and Shay had to take the boards back to the surf shack. "Come back soon, yeah?" Alan nods at Shay. "'Course. Bye, Shay. I had a lot of fun."

They turn to walk away and when they got a few feet away, the mermen run towards them and hug them. Alan and Kellin laugh, but hug back. "We'll miss you, guys."

"Us too, Kelco." They pull back. Then with one last good bye, Kellin and Alan walk to their stuff on the almost empty beach. They put on their tops and check their phones. A bunch of missed calls and messages. They grab everything and begin walking to the car.

They put the towels on the seats to keep them from wetting them and put everything else in the back. When they had their backs to the trunk of the car, the door is slammed down and they both jump, turning to look at the car.

There stood Austin and Oli, and they were pissed.

Alan and Kellin shrink away. No one spoke. It's quiet and he hates the sound. He questions if he has the strength to move. Everyone was tense. And finally the silence was broken.

"Let's just go home," Austin says, too tired to fight right then.

They each get in the designated car. Alan and Kellin went to Oli's car, and Austin and Oli went to Austin's car. The drive, even if Austin and Oli weren't in the car, was tense. No one spoke, in either car.

When they arrive to the pack house, though they were mad, Austin and Oli took their mate's bags out of the car and took them each to their room. Alan and Kellin trail after them quietly. Some pack members were in the living room watching tv, others eating. But Alan went to his room and didn't speak to Austin.

He walks into the bathroom and showers. He changes into his cat pijamas. Austin was already in bed. He gets in quietly and lays as far away from Austin as possible. Austin wraps an arm around Alan, and Alan tenses up. Austin quickly removes it and Alan visibly relaxes.

Austin's heart broke. Alan was afraid of him. Austin sits up and Alan follows. "I'm sorry," Alan says. He knew Shay told him to make Austin beg for it, but he couldn't. He felt horrible.

"No, Alan," Austin says hurriedly. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have followed you. I was just worried about you. I know that's no excuse, but I really am sorry. And I feel terrible now that I know you're uncomfortable."

Alan lifts his head to face Austin. He places a small hand over Austin's bigger one which was clutching the sheets. Austin looks at Alan with so much love in his eyes. He brings a hand to Alan's cheek and cups it.

"It's okay."

Alan stares up at him with his wide, innocent eyes. Austin stared with hooded eyes and he begins to lean in. Alan didn't move, but when Austin was close, Alan's eyes fluttered shut.

And their lips touched.