Half Mice, Half Men

Chapter Six

It's been a couple of weeks since Alan left Austin, and Austin was going insane. Everyday he woke up feeling's Alan pain, then betrayal, then Alan sees Kellin and it lessens, but whenever Alan's alone, Austin feels his pain.

And that hurt him more than his own pain. If only Alan would let him explain. It was torture, they were walking on eggshells when they were around each other. If Austin got too close of actually managed to touch Alan, Alan would flinch away and back away.

Alan actually moved into another room and slept alone. Austin could hear him scream at night because of his nightmares, but when he went to check on him, and tried to calm him down, it was obvious he made it worse. So, he just stopped, but it tore his heart everytime he heard Alan screaming.

Alan will never be alone with Austin. If Austin walks into a room where Alan's in, he's gone before Austin can even register what's happened.

Kellin also helps Alan avoid Austin. Austin was slowly going insane. Not seeing Alan was making him go crazy.

He was currently on a run in the forest. He also took the time to practice hunting. He had a pack meeting later on with other Alphas. This also helped distract him from the mess at home. As he continues to run, he caught scent of something.

Alan. What was he doing in the forest?

He slowly walks to where he is and he relaxes. He finally got to see the beautiful red head. He was wearing black skinny jeans with a t-shirt. He seemed to be collecting something in a basket. Austin loved seeing Alan like this, calm, relaxed, happy.

He stayed hidden because he knew the moment his presence was known, Alan would leave. And he hasn't seen him in so long. Alan bends down to pick up a flower before placing it in the basket and Austin sees Alan has an entire bouquet.

Alan got closer and closer to him without realizing, not noticing his heart speeding up and he bends down and comes face to face with a wolf. A wolf he knew wouldn't hurt him - well, wouldn't hurt him physically. "Austin? What are you doing here?"

Austin walks out and Alan backs away. As Austin shifts back, he kept his gaze down and answered Alan, "Hunting. But I caught scent of you and found you here."

"Austin, are you okay? You look kinda... tired?"

"Yeah, that's what happens when your mate ignores you, you grow weaker."

Alan hummed and moved to pick more flowers up. "I just gave you what you wanted," he began, his back to Austin. "You can have any girl now without fear of me holding you back. It was obvious from the start we wouldn't work," Alan whispered. "Who would ever want me?"

Austin snapped his head up in anger and he marched over to Alan, and just stood behind him. "Never say that again. Any one would be lucky to have you, including me. I never want to hear you say bullshit like that again, you are a prize. And if people don't realize that, it's their loss. God dammit, Alan, I love you."

Alan whimperered and stood up straight, still not facing Austin. "Then why cheat?" He whispered, brokenly. Austin turned him around and the basket fell in the hurry. He held Alan's face gently and saw the tears brimming his lashes.

"I didn't, baby. I promise you I didn't. She kissed me. I don't even know who she is besides that her name is Gielle and that I lost you because of her. Alan, please. I promise I'd never do that to you." Alan lowered his gaze and the tears fell silently.

Austin brought a hand and wiped them away. He held Alan gently and slowly leaned in. They kissed slowly, sweetly. Alan wrapped his arms around Austin's neck, pulling him down and Austin held Alan closely against him. He missed him. Just holding him.

They pull back and Austin begins pressing kisses to Alan's neck. "I love you, Alan, I swear I love you."

"Austin, I-I don't - I don't know. I'm scared. What if you hurt me again?"

"I won't, Alan. I swear that I won't."

Alan looks up at Austin and the pain was clear in his eyes. "Austin, I - "

"Please, Alan. We'll take everything slow if that's what you want, we'll do anything you want, but please, move back in with me. I am lost without you here."

Alan leans back to stare at Austin fully, but Austin kept his arms wrapped tightly around Alan. He did look tired, Alan remembered that when he shifted back to human, he looked ready to pass out, now, he looked better, but he still looked weak. So Alan nodded, "Okay."

Austin smiles, but then Alan speaks again, "But we're still taking things slow."

"Of course, baby." Austin holds Alan close, just breathing him in. He could feel him in his bones, in his veins. He felt like crying in happiness. "Thank you, Alan."

"Thanks? For what?"

"Everything."

Alan shot him a confused glance, but Austin just leaned in to kiss him again. He wrapped his arms around Alan's waist and pulled him close when he leaned in and Alan's hands landed on his chest.

When he pulls back, he picks Alan up and begins walking towards the pack house. He carries Alan all the way to their bedroom where he lays him down gently on the bed, climbing over him before climbed down and pulled Alan closer to him.

Alan turned around in his arms to face him. He stared deeply into Austin's brown eyes as Austin stared into his hazel ones. "Austin," he spoke breathlessly. "Yeah," he spoke just as breathless. Alan raised a hand and placed it on Austin's cheek, never once breaking eye-contact. "Put on some underwear."