Miles Away

four

John almost regretted offering her a ride, because the silence that they had settled to was nothing less than awkward. Not to mention, this girl kept chewing on her bottom lip, which made the most annoying sound he had ever heard. He should have been used to it - Pat chewed his lips all the time, but somehow this was different. The sound caused him to grip the steering wheel slightly harder than originally intended, and he stole a quick glance to her before turning back to the road. A small sigh escaped his lips, if for nothing more than to get her attention so that the sound she was making would cease.

It didn’t.

“So,” He said, “Do you know where you’re heading?” If his assumption was correct, her answer would be that she absolutely hadn’t a clue.

“Uh,” she blushed, turning her head to look out her window, “I guess I don’t.” John hummed, trying to think of some way to get out of the situation. He knew that seemed awful, it’s just that he had plans for himself on this road trip - and none of them involved a distressed looking girl accompanying him all the way to Seattle. Besides, what would Audrey think when he showed up with another girl? John didn’t know much about girls, but he knew that probably wouldn’t be the best scene for an apology.

Another silence fell over them, because John really couldn’t think of a proper way to respond to her. Instead, he took to pondering what situation could have driven her to pack things up into a pillow case and running in front of cars mid-evening. He would ask, if he thought it wouldn’t be rude of him.

He reached for the volume control of the radio and turned the music up so that the silence wasn’t so unbearable. He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel to the tune of the song. He hadn’t felt this awkward since the Maines first ever show and thought he could stand to throw back a few beers. Squinting his eyes, he focused on the long road in front of him. Night had fallen, making the roads quite dark and serene.

“I’m really sorry about this.” Valerie’s voice cut through the music, making John almost jump in surprise. He could have forgotten she was even there if she remained quite for a few more minutes. “I don’t mean to be a burden or anything. I just - I needed to get away, you know?”

He did. Of course he did, because that’s exactly what he was doing. He had hoped that all the negative thoughts were left back in his bedroom, locked away. It was almost the whole reason he had gone on this trip, so he sympathized - they were both trying to get away. The thought somehow changed his feelings about the entire situation. Knowing she was in such a vulnerable state, he knew he couldn’t be anything less than understanding toward her.

He shook his head, “it’s okay, really. I could use the company.”

John had been around groups of people for almost a year, never really having a moment to himself unless he was tucked inside his bunk with the curtain drawn. Even then, he got the occasional person reaching their arms in to give him a pinch. So really, he didn’t need the company, but he felt a white lie couldn't hurt either of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know its super short, sorry! hope you're all well.