Time Is on Our Side

Chapter One

He loved bars. He loved everything about them. From the loud noisy patrons that had way to much to drink, to the half drunk women with too much skin showing. He was a hunter and this is what he loved to do. He enjoyed watching people as they went about their daily lives.

He sat at the bar with a glass of Scotch clasped in his right hand with his attention on the pool table. He glanced over to see that a taller man was bent over the pool table, his concentration on the ball in front of him. The Moose of a man, blew a piece of hair that had been hanging in his face. His borrows knitted together as he concentrated on the green pool ball within his sight. The man at the bar took a sip of his drink as he heard the whack of the ball.

He watched as the hilly billy's that the Moose had been hustling, high five each other as they had an easy win. Or so they thought. The man at the bar finished his drink, sat it on the bar and stood up from his stool. With a confidence in him, he held his back straight as he walked up to the pool table.

“Mind if join in the game?” His husky voice was so deep, it seemed to shake the rafters as he spoke. He looked over to the taller man who was taking some money out of his green plaid shirt. He gave him a slight nod and he reached into his worn leather jacket and took out his wallet. He plucked out two $50s and smiled at the two men. “Double or nothing?”

Hilly Billy number one sized up the new comer. A smile crossed across his face showing off his tobacco stained teeth. “Why, looks like it's our lucky night Jesse. Two douche bags in one night.”

*********

“Savannah Jensen, ER triage room 10, Savannah Jensen, Er Triage, Room 10.”

She had been asleep, her hand thrown over her eyes, her body above the blue sheets. Her dark brown hair was across her mouth and as she breathed, fanning around her face. She brushed the strands out of her face as she heard the vibration of her phone. She slapped her hand across the surface and found the vibrating phone. She blinked back the fuzziness as she started at the phone. “Dammit!” She sighed as she sat up and smacked her head on the top bunk. She let out a string of curse words as she stumbled out of the bed, her legs tangled around the sheets. She heard a groan from behind her and she turned to see the bare chest rippled with muscles. She leaned forward and lightly brushed her lips over his cheek. “Go back to sleep.”

The young woman swiped her hand through her hair, collected it into a pony tail and secured the ends with a hair tie. She found her dark blue scrub shirt lying on the floor and slid it over her body as she slid on her pants and tennis shoes.

Her tired body quickly took her to the ER room where she noticed it was packed. She pushed open the double doors as she approached a nurse in a pink scrub top. “What do we have?” She accepted the chart and flipped it open as Maria took her to the back of the triage area.

The nurse quickly fell into Savannah's quick steps as the flipped open the chart and recited what was written down. Savannah slid back the green curtain to see the man lying, unmoving on the gurney.

His short, dark hair was plastered to the left side of his head, where it was clotted with dried blood. His face was cut along his brow and his eye. Pools of dark blood had collected onto his green plaid shirt that was now being cut open. It was apparent this man had been in a nasty fight.

“John Doe, approximately 30 years of age, found in an alleyway. No ID, no cell phone. Homeless man found him and made the 911 call.”

She put the stethoscope to his chest and closed her eyes as she listened. As she focused on the heartbeat, she felt a sudden chill on the back of her neck. TO her, it felt as if someone had taken some threat and ran it along her skin. Tingles erupted from the top of her scalp all the way to the tip of her toes. When she opened her eyes again, she noticed on of the triage nurses was looking at her.

“Dr.Jensen?”

Savannah was transfixed to the man lying in the bed,feeling the hurt,anger and confusion swirl around him like a black cloud. She noticed the room had gone quiet so she looked up from the broken body on the gurney,to the nurses that were in the room. She heard a loud hammering and wondered who on earth was making such a racket. Then she realized, it was her heart hammering against her ribs.

“Vannah?” She turned her heard to see the tall man looking at her, concern in his storm cloud blue eyes. He reached for her and briefly touched her arm,trying to not make a show out of showing too much concern. IF word got out that her and doctor Ezra Sheppard were having an affair, it would cost her job. He noticed she had gone pale,her skin translucent under her dark hair, her bow shaped lips were slightly parted and she was breathing fast. He had seen this look before and it concerned him. “You OK?”

The spell had been broken and Savannah's breathing had returned to normal. Her icy skin had quickly been replaced with heat as she realized everyone was looking at her.

“Yeah, I'm fine. I'm gonna take him to CT.”

Ezra nodded and handed her the chart,noticing her hands were shaking. “I can have someone else do it..”

Savannah took the chart from his hands and forced a smile she knew was going to crack at any moment. She couldn't understand why she was feeling like this. She prided herself on being level headed when it came to this kind of thing,but something about this man made her jumpy.

“No, I have it.”

Savannah pushed the gurney out of the room and pushed it down to the elevators, catching a glimpse of the man on the bed. Even with the gash on the side of his face, he was very handsome. As the doors slid open, she wrestled with the bed trying to get it over the bump.

She felt the end of the gurney lift up and she looked to the door to see a man dressed in a tan trench coat,his black hair tousled over his head and a strange smile on his face. With the look in his blue eyes, it almost seemed, robotic.

“Looks like you need some..help?” The man titled his head as he looked at the man in the bed, then to her.

Savannah clasped the end of the bed rail, feeling her body shake as she looked at the man. “Thanks, I've got it.”

She reached over and slapped the B button, pushing it several times. Something about the way the man was looking at her, made her jumpy. The faster she got away from him, the better.

She almost let out an audible sigh as the elevator doors finally closed, shutting the man off from her view. She laid her head back on the wall, closed her eyes and finally let out the breath she had been holding back.
Actions