Time Is on Our Side

Chapter Thirteen

She was just ten years old when she discovered her love of books. Discovering she could escape reality just by reading a simiple chapter, becoming the characters in the book. She had been staying the weekend with her grandmother, when she needed help cleaning out the attic.

When Savannah climbed the stairs up to the dusty, cold, attic, she wasn't prepared for what she found. Boxes upon boxes of books. Not the smut filled kind her mother had hid in an empty cereal box, stuffed in the back. No, these were classics. Original Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and so many others. That's where her grandmother found her, several hours later, surrounded by open boxes and her nose stuck in a book.

After her accident, these books were her escape. She never come across a collection like her grandmother's. Until now.

She walked into the room, instantly in awe. She stood in the middle, moving in a slow circle, as she took in the rows upon rows of shelves. A metal staircase spiralled from the middle of the room up to the second row, where even more books awaited their discovery, It would take years to read them all.

There was a long table in the middle of the room, very similar to the one that was downstairs. Sitting at this table, with a large book spread out before him, was Sam. Next to his right hand, was a stone that looked ancient.

“What is that?” Savannah slowly walked to the table as Dean joined her by her side.

Sam looked up from the book, cast a glance at the both of them, then continued his reading. “It's a tablet.”

“A tablet?” Savannah walked around the table, tempted to touch it, but thought better of it. “Like the ten commandments?”

“Goes back further than that. A scribe, named Metatron wrote it according to God.”

“Megatron? The Transformer dude?”

Dean let out a huff and pointed a finger at her. “That's what I said!” Savannah turned her head to look at Dean and shivered. Commence smoulder gaze number two.

Sam watched as both Savannah and Dean fucked each other with their eyes. He knew that years had passed since they last saw each other and he knew she had other boyfriends, but the fact that his brother was interested in her, well that pissed him off. Dean was a love 'em and leave 'em kinda guy and Savannah wasn't any girl he's bed before. . “Metatron recorded God's word on a series of tablets. WE got this one from defeating Leviathans.”

The library was quiet as Savannah look around the room, trying to wrap her head around what they were telling. After a few minutes, she turned to look at Castiel. “Downstairs..you said..you said that I was the key? Key to what?”

The angel had his head to the floor, but when she spoke, crystal blue eyes swept along her form. “I don't think you can handle all of this in one day.”

“Castiel,” Savannah pleaded. “I need to know.”

"He's right Annah,” Sam began, but he was cut off when she held up her hand.

“Will you stop treating me like I'm 14 Sam! Dammit! Stop shielding me from this, stop treating like I'm some frightened little girl who needs saving.”

All the frustration, all the hurt, all the anger, came boiling to the surface. He was really mad at Dean, but his anger over took his mouth. “Fine Annah, you want to know what the hell is going on? Fine!”

“Sam,” Dean stepped in between Savannah and Sam, seeing the anger in his brother's eyes.

“No Dean,” Sam stood up from the table, slamming the book shut. A mist of dust settled onto the wood. “Demons are after you Savannah. They are wanting to kill you because you are the one prophesied to close the gates of hell. Your father was possessed when he went away on his business trip and his instructions were sharp and clear. Make sure you die in the accident.”

“But, but I didn't die,” Savannah tried to swallow the huge lump in her throat, but her pounding heart was preventing that.

“Because I intervened Savannah,” Castiel spoke from the table, “TO make sure you full fill the trials.”

“Trials? What trials?” She was still in shock for Sam raising his voice at her and she refused to look at him. So, instead, she focused her attention on the angel and Dean.

“That's why we need someone to transcribe this,” Sam picked up the tablet, but he noticed that Savannah wasn't looking at him. Damn him and his temper. She was the last person he wanted to hurt. He saw her face, how confused and scared she looked. “Annah, I know you're scared...”

She finally turned and looked at him, her eyes shining with tears. “My name is Savannah, Sam. And you don't know shit about me.” She took a step back from the trio near the table, her hands raised as Dean started to come towards her. “I..I just need...some time...”

**********

Wanting to stay out of the way, Dean spent the rest of the afternoon in the garage, working on his Baby. As he worked under the hood, he couldn't help but shake the tension that was beginning to from between him, his brother and Savannah. And Sam snapping at her the way he did, well, that wasn't like his brother at all.

When his stomach began to growl, Dean put his hands on the frame of his car and slid out on the dolly to see she was standing near the front end. A tray was balanced in one hand while the other hand held out two beers.

“You've..been gone all afternoon..I thought you might need some food.” Her voice was strained, her eyes were bloodshot.

Dean took the towel and wiped the grease off his hands before he accepted the cold beverage. “Thanks.” As he tinkered on the car, he wondered where Savannah had gone to, if she had left the bunker. “How'd you find me?” He twisted off the cap and took a large swig of the frothy beer.

“Well, you see, I was kinda lost. This thing is a maze. Than I ran into this Goblin King and he gave me directions.”

“Hmm, is that so?” Dean looked at her as she sipped her beer. “Kinda been meaning to call the exterminator on him. Kinda creepy with that spandex...and..and man bulge.” He waved his hand over the crotch of his jeans.

“Some aren't so bad,” She winked at him, feeling her cheeks burn. An awkward second ticked between them before she held up the tray. “I..uh..made dinner.” She handed Dean her beer, then slid her now free left hand under the tray to balance it. With her other hand, she took off the silver top to the tray. “I hope you like.”

The instant the lid was taken off, Dean could smell the grease, bacon and onions. He let out a groan as he picked the burger off the plate and took a bite. “Son of a bitch,” He said around mouthfuls, “That's one damn good burger. You made this?” He reached a hand up to his mouth and caught the grease that dribbled down his chin.

“Huh, don't act so shocked Winchester, I can cook,” She winked at him as she took her beer. “I figure if I'm gonna be around for awhile, might as well pitch in around here.”

“Baby,” He smiled as he held up the burger, “Keep cooking like this, and I”ll marry you.” He heard her breath catch in her voice and he saw the look on her face. Before he even knew what he was doing, before his voice of reason took over, before he could stop himself, Dean had her pinned up against the car.

His heavy body was pressed into hers as he took command of her lips. He had taken by surprise, that the first second his mouth touched hers, they remained closed. When his tongue slid out of his mouth and ran along the seam of her lips, they opened with a moan.

She tasted so good to him. She tasted like burgers, she tasted like scotch and something else he couldn't pin point. Their tongues danced, while his hand slid up under the shirt she was wearing to feel the soft skin.

When she felt his rough palm slid over her stomach, she froze. Putting her hands on his chest, she broke the kiss. Her breath was ragged as she struggled to control her desire.

“Son of a bitch,” Dean sighed as he took a step back from her, his green eyes dark with lust. He let out a slow breath, as the realization what they were about to do, hit him like a ton of bricks. “I can't do that to Sam, Savannah, I”m sorry.”

“There is nothing between us Dean.”

Dean sighed and picked up the plate and his beer. “That may be Princess, but he thinks there is. And personally, too much drama for me. I'm sorry.”

“So,” Savannah yelled after his back as he headed for the door, “Is that what you Winchesters do, huh? Make a girl all hot and bothered for you, then you just walk away?” She was not liking this “Old” Dean very much.

“In our line of work Princess, there is no such thing as forever.”

Savannah let out a sigh as the garage door banged closed behind her. She could hear her heart hammering in her chest as she looked around the garage. What the hell was she doing here?