Time Is on Our Side

Chapter Fourteen

To say things were awkward, well that was an understatement. After the mini make-out session in the garage, Dean avoided Savannah like the plague. He acted like everything was fine, but the moment Sam or Cas would leave the room, he made some mumbled excuse about something he had to do.

Savannah knew she could tell that Sam felt the same tension, because he hardly looked or spoke to her. She would wander her way to the library where he would be researching on his lap top. He would look up, see her standing there and without a word, pack up his things and leave the room. It stabbed Savannah in the heart that their friendship was almost gone.

Several weeks of this passed and she was certain she was going to go insane. Since she had such a target on her head, she was mostly kept in the bunker. When they left for a hunt, days would pass and it would just be her.

So, she spent her time in the library, or getting her room decorated just the way she liked. Cas had zapped himself to her town home and collected her things.

IT was week number three of the Winchester silence and they were once again off on another case. But this time, she had someone to spend the long days with, Kevin Tran.

Kevin had come to “live” in the bunker, not on his own free will, but on the Winchesters command. Savannah had realized that the two Winchester brothers always got what they wanted.

Kevin had been an honor student, preparing for his college entrance exams, when for some unexplained reason, he fell into a coma. When he woke up, he started to see symbols everywhere. Sam, Dean and Cas found out, that he was able to transcribe the first tablet they had.

Savannah and Kevin bonded almost instantly. Two normal people living their own lives, when two brothers showed up and things had never been the same since then.

Savannah was curled up into the red chair, a book in her hand and a finger wrapped around a piece of hair. Sam and Dean should have been back from their trip and she wasn't looking forward to the awkward silence between all three of them. She looked up from her book to see Kevin sitting at the table, the tablet to his right and a note pad to his left. He had headphones on and she could hear the music blaring. Slapping her book shut with a loud Thwack!, she looked at her watch and sighed. 7:15. Too early for bed. She was hungry, but the galley style kitchen was low on food.

She was deciding what to do, when she felt something vibrating on the table next to her. She turned her head to see the blue screen lighting up and a simple text from Dean. Meet me at the Cattlemens.

Meet me, not meet us. Savannah stared at the text, feeling her heart pound in her chest. Did something happen to Sam and he was wanting to break it to her? She chewed on her bottom lip for a few seconds before she typed back her reply.

See you in twenty minutes.

She placed in her hand as she walked over to the table and tapped Kevin on the shoulder. He looked up at her, the music still blaring through his earphones. “I'm going out.” She mouthed to him. She held up her phone to let him know that she would have it on her. He gave her a thumbs up, then stuck his nose right back into the lap top.

It was the middle of November, the night air crisp and cool, her breath a fan around her head as she tightened her jacket around her body. As she walked down the gravel path, she stuffed her hands deep inside the pocket, humming a little tune. In a few week it would be Thanksgiving. Her favorite time of the year. Maybe she would offer the olive branch and make them both a huge dinner. She could even get Cas to help, send him out shopping. That brought a chuckle, sending plumes of mist out of her mouth.

The bar was just a mile from the bunker, close enough that Sam and Dean frequented it at least three times a week. Three days after their kiss in the garage, Savannah had walked sleepily into the kitchen, anticipating her first cup of coffee for the day, when she noticed a blonde sitting at the table. She was wearing a purple and black plaid shirt that was much too large for her. The spicy, masculine smell stabbed her in the heart. That bitch was wearing Dean's shirt. When Dean came into the room and saw Savannah staring at the girl he brought home, he felt shame as he saw the hurt on Savannah's face. Ever since then, Dean never brought home his hook ups.

The lights of the bar got closer, her eyes scanning the parking lot for the familiar black car. But, all that was parked in front of the bar, were some trucks and a couple of motorcycles.

She took a deep breath and placed her hand on the doorknob, hearing the loud music from within the bar. She had stood outside, just looking at the neon sign flickering off and on, the buzzing of the lights, the pounding in her ears. Something wasn't right and she couldn't place her finger on what that was.

Lynyrd Sknards' Simple Man was blaring on the jukebox as she dipped her head down, summoning the strength. She pushed the sleeve of her jacket up to her elbow, squared off her shoulders, threw open the door and stepped inside the bar. Once she did, she almost turned around and ran outside.

Every head turned as she walked up to the bar,a proverbial record scratch ticked away the silence. She managed her best smile and walked up to the bartender. “Scotch please.”

The bartender eyed her for a moment. “I'm gunna have to see some idea sweet cheeks.”

Savannah sized him up, he was a man after all and all men had needs. What would Dean Winchester do? Why, he'd flirt the pants right off of that bartender. She grimaced at the tobacco stained teeth, the thinking brown hair that was combed over in a faild attempt to hide that huge bald spot. She ignored the huge beer gut that strained the dirty white tee shirt as she smiled and leaned up against the bar, making it a point to show off her greatest asset. The asset that Dean started at when she made it a point to wear her low cut tank top. She loved to see him all riled up. “Oh...that is the best complement I have gotten all day...thank you! I've had such a rotten day..I'm waiting for my date and he hasn't seen to show up yet,” She made it a point to set her purse on the bar and began to rummage through it. “Oh...damn...I think I left my wallet at home.. Shoot...and I need a drink...like really bad..it's been a hell of a day.”

The bartender smiled at her. “Well..I can't say no to that.” He reached for a glass and set it in front of her as she took of out of her leather jacket. He then turned his head and made eye contact with the man sitting at the far end of the bar. “So..what brings a pretty lady like you all the way out to the boon docks.”

Savannah turned her head to see the man at the end of the bar looking at her, she then turned to face the bartender. “Uh...I don't know, waiting for my date to show up, seems he's a little late.” The swirling intensified as the bartender stared at her.

“So...just you?” He nodded over at the man wearing the leather jacket.

“Yeah...” She chuckled nervously. She looked around to see the whole bar was staring at her. She quickly chugged her Scotch and threw down a $10 bill. “Well..I think I have the wrong bar. I'm so stupid. I think he meant the one further down the road.”

“OH so soon.” The bartender flashed her a smile. “But we just met.”

Savannah slid on her leather jacket, pushing a dark lock behind her ear. She backed up from the bar, seeing the man in the leather jacket getting up from his stool.

“See, I don't think your “date is coming.” He smiled at her with that evil glint in his eyes.

Savannah felt the panic rise in her as Billy came up to her and towered over her. He had to be six foot two and three hundred pounds of muscle. “Listen...there are people who know where I am...they will come looking for me.”

“Don't see how that's possible.” The bartender slid up behind Savannah, snaking his arms around her waist, holding her to him. He nuzzled her ear and whispered. Since I was the one who sent the text.”

Savannah struggled against his arms, smelling the sourness of the mans breath. She began to gag as she smelled the coppery smell of blood. She let out a small scream as Billy looked at her as his eyes slid black..

He flashed a knife and was about to stab her with it, when his back arched upwards, electric black smoke radiating throughout his body. His eyes and mouth burned a bright orange as he began to burn from the inside out. A bright white light flashed throughout the bar and Savannah closed her eyes. The hand around her throat was released and she slumped to the floor, landing on her shoulder, screaming as pain exploded along her arm. She raised her head to see Castiel standing above her, his eyes glowing blue. His arms were stretched out on either side of him and huge black wings were behind him. She screamed as an ear piercing roar filled the bar, making the glass explode all around her. She felt a body come on top of hers, shielding her as the glass rained down on her.