Time Is on Our Side

Chapter Two

“Wow, it's really coming down out there,” Savannah took off her red rain jacket and placed it on the coat rack and shook the wet out of her ponytail. She placed her umbrella underneath and turned to see her friend and co worker, Jana Morris looking at her. “What?”

Janice gave her a wink and took out a chart from the wall and handed it to her. “Mr. John Doe's awake, much to the delight of the staff.”

Savannah rolled her eyes and grabbed her cup of coffee off the desk and spun around and headed to the one room she had been trying to avoid the past three days. She always got a weird feeling when she walked into that room and she didn't know why.

He was sitting up in the bed, a remote in his hand and a frown on his face. She paused for just a moment watching him, not sure if she wanted to interrupt. She took a breath and tucked the chart under her arm.

“Good morning, my name is Savannah and I'm your doctor.” She pasted on a smile as he walked into the room. She walked around to the window and yanked open the curtains, letting in the cloudy sky light. When she turned to look at him, she noticed that his green eyes were fixed on him. Eyes the color of the Irish landscape.

He had woken with a start to find himself in what appeared to be a hospital bed, but he had no idea how he got there. He searched his brain for any kind of memory, but everything seemed so foggy. At least he knew his name.

Questions banged around in his skull, did he have a family? Was it just him? Where did he live?

Then he heard that voice and he turned his head to see a woman walk into the room. Her long dark hair was pulled back in a braid, flowing down her back. She seemed to look everywhere but him.

“W..what day is it?” His voice was very hoarse and gravely.

“It's...uh..Sunday.” She reached along the sheets and grabbed his wrist and turned it over. Her thumb slid over his pulse point to find it slow and even.

“I..I mean the date.”

She looked up at him and he could finally see her eyes. Eyes the color of the dark blue sky that was outside his window at that moment. “June 15 th . Do you know your name?”

I...I...”He closed his eyes as he tried to grasp his name. It was right there. He tried to grasp it, but the pain in his head prevented it from happening. He whispered as he felt the pain in his throat. He reached up and touched the skin, feeling the raw skin underneath his rough fingers.

Savannah smiled at him as she took the pitcher of water and poured it into a cup and placed it in his hands. She noticed the cuts along his knuckles, the scabs on his hand and the faint pink scars. This man fought a lot, which raised so many more questions. “It'll come to you.” She placed the call button next to his fingers. “If you need anything, just push the button. I'm on call and if you need anything, one of the nurses will track me down.”

He turned his head back to the window, his program long forgotten. Who the hell was he and why was he in this hospital?

*******

Her hands shook the cup making the brown hot liquid slosh out the top, threatening to dump all over her blue scrubs. She couldn't get Irish out of her head, those haunting green eyes of his. They were filled with such pain and anguish. She could also see the red mist swirling around this man, the anger oozing from his soul.

Everyone was afraid of this man. His tempter was unpredictable and he was a ticking time bomb. He threw the dinner tray at the orderly when he didn't approve of what passed as food. Nurses took lesser jobs, just to get away from this man.

But not Savannah. She sensed something about this man, knowing his temper was just a front. She could see the emotions that he kept deep inside of himself. She could feel how truly scared and alone this man felt. She knew exactly how he felt. Her teenage years were hell, being called a freak for what she saw. Maybe that's why she felt such a connection to him. He was just like her.

She walked into the room with the mug of coffee in her hand and a paper sack tucked under her arm. She squared off her shoulders as she sat the mug of coffee on the nightstand next to him. He was watching her again, his brows creased together, his jaw rigid.

She smiled at him. “I know that cafeteria coffee is like tar. I have a secret stash.”

He noticed she was pointing to the white ceramic mug she had placed next to him, than he moved his eyes up to hers. “Thanks.”

“Ahh..so, he does have manners.” Savannah chuckled as she sat the bag next to the coffee mug. “I got that from a local baker just across the street. Cherry Danish.” She took a step back from the bed, a little nervous being around him.

“Thank you...Savannah.”

The way his deep voice said her name, sent a chill along her body. She quickly took her eyes off of his. “Welcome..if you need anything...”

“I have your number.” He smiled at her, his eyes sparkling, as he held up the nurses button.

Savannah laughed and pointed at him. “You made a joke. That's one thing you didn't know about yourself right?”

He nodded at her. “Yeah...”

Savannah felt a buzzing on her hip and she looked down to see the page. “I have to go...” She quickly walked out of the room as she heard the page above her head.

“Code blue, ICU 4, code blue ICU 4.”

Savannah increased her pace as she jogged down the hallway, hearing the commotion coming just a few rooms down. As she was about to enter the room, she stopped and turned around to look the way she had come.

She let out a breath and noticed that the temperature had dropped so low, she could see her breath. She shivered as she slowly turned in the spot she was glued to, to see a black hooded figure standing above the bed of her patient.

Its long bony fingers slid out of the sleeve of its midnight black robe, and waved over the mans mouth. A bright, silvery light came from between the lips and swirled around the ghostly figures fingers. It lifted his head up when Savannah let out a gasp, the hood falling back from the head.

She felt her stomach churn in fear as the creature looked at her. Bright red orbs replaced its eyes. The mouth was larger than normal and it opened up wider as it brought the silver mist to its mouth. A loud hissing noise erupted from the nightmare as the white mist disappeared into the black maw.

Actions