Time Is on Our Side

Chapter Three

Savannah let out a sigh as she leaned back in the chair and rubbed her blurry eyes. She lifted up her left hand and took a glance at the watch on her wrist and frowned. Three more house of her shift and she could go home and sleep.

She was more than freaked out over the incident that had happened that afternoon. Mr. Jones had not been a very nice man, to his family or to the staff at the hospital. He had come from the local jail, an old man waiting out his life sentence for several murders. When he slipped into a coma, Savannah was shocked to hear the whispers of her co workers, thankful the old man was brain dead.

Savannah couldn't explain what she saw in that room, if it was her imagination or her sleep deprived brain hallucinating.

Her head snapped up from the keyboards as she heard a low whispher. She felt her heart pick up speed as she slowly stood up from the chair, pushing it back so she could step around the desk.

“Hello?” Her white shoes were quiet as she slowly moved down the hall, glancing behind her every couple of steps. “Janice? Is that you?” With cat like grace, Skyler moved silently down the hall to the room where Mr. John Doe was located. “Hello?”

Saavvve him.

A female voice came from behind her,making the hairs on the back of her neck to stand on end. Savannah snapped her head around as her blue eyes grew wide with fear. Something bright was moving towards her.

The woman had blonde hair that moved along her face, preventing Savannah from seeing her features. She wore a white night gown that blew along her ankles and her arms were reaching for Savannah.

“Help him. Please.” The woman's voice was just a whisper and Savannah closed her eyes as she felt the apparition's anguish and fear.

She didn't realize she had moved until she felt the cold, smooth surface of the wall. She was trapped. Savannah closed her eyes tight as she felt the hand touch hers, feeling the coldness of the spirit. Savannah could feel the energy draining from her body.

She felt the weakness overcome her body as her knees buckled underneath her, threatening to send her to the floor. She wasn't sure what happened next, for her eyes had been tight so tight, she could see the bright bursts of color under her eyelids.

“Savannah?”

Savannah turned at the sound of the voice, to see her friend Janice standing behind her. Savannah could see the confusion in her friend's brown eyes. She forced a smile, feeling her body shaking. “Yeah?”

“Are you OK Hon? I've been calling you for like a minute.” Janice's fingers found the glasses that were laying against her ample bosom and placed them on her thin nose. “You were just standing there, shaking like a leaf.”

Savannah chanced a look back down the hall where the woman had just been, swearing she could smell just the hint of smoke. Good lord, I need a vacation. “I..I'm OK...”

“Maybe you should clock out early,” Janice slid a smile to the young woman standing before. She was only ten years younger than herself, but Janice became almost motherly towards Savannah. She could feel the struggles the young woman dealt with everyday. It wasn't easy working in the same hospital where your parents died. “Maybe you should clock out early. Go home, get some rest.”

Savannah nodded and walked past Janice. She stopped and smiled at the older woman. “Yeah..I just want to go say goodbye to my Mr. John Doe.”

Janice smiled and clucked her tongue. “He is easy on the eyes.” She gave Savannah a slight wink. “Take my advice Savannah, get some rest. This job is starting to get to you.”

*********

He was the in the worst pain of his life. So bad, it tore the very breath from his lungs. What started out as a simple throbbing behind his eyes, grew into such force, he was afraid his head would explode. He welcomed that, hoping that would stop the agony.

His body was shaking against the pain, sweat popping out along his scalp. He could feel the rolls of sweat trickle down his cheek, hang for just a moment on his sharp chin, and collected on the white T shirt he was wearing. He squeezed his eyes tighter and when he did, an image flashed into his mind.

A girl with long dark hair ran in front of him. As she ran down the dirt path, she turned to look at him with a smile on her face. Her mouth was moving, but he wasn't sure what she was saying. He strained to her but it was gibberish.

He snapped his eyes open as he felt the softness of a hand slid over his calloused ones bringing him out of his trance. His green eyes blinked the fuzziness away from his vision and noticed he was looking into a pair of storm cloud blue eyes.

“Hey, are you OK? Do you need something?”

He licked his lips, feeling the roughness over his tongue. He swallowed, his face scrunched up at the sensation of sandpaper. “W..ater.” He breathed out, his head seemed to pound in time with his heartbeat.

Savannah grabbed the pitcher of water and poured some into a cup. She slid her hand under his head and lifted him up a bit. His lips wrapped around the rim, sucking in the cool, refreshing water. “Not...to much.” She took the cup away from him and sat it back down on the night stand. When she turned to grab his chart, she felt his roughness of his palms as it snaked around her wrist. “What is it?”

His green eyes studied her for just a moment trying to remember the vision he had. But it was gone. As soon as he opened his eyes, the image dissolved. “N..nothing...thank you.”

Savannah smiled at him as she flipped open his chart and pulled the keyboard out from the computer that set at the head of his bed. “Let's just get you some rest.” She winked at him as she entered the request for pain medications. “I'm here all night. And I'm gonna make sure you get that rest.” She patted him on the hand, tore her eyes away from his green ones and began to walk out of the room,her hand on the green curtain that separated his bed from the hallway.

“Dean..”

Savannah had her hand on the curtain, about to slide it back, when she heard his gravely voice. “W..what?”

“My name..is Dean.”

Savannah flashed him a smile as she slid back the curtain. “Nice to meet you Dean.”