Time Is on Our Side

Chapter Seven

**March, 1997****

She kept her head down to the floor, her curly dark hair a curtain around her face, her crystal blue eyes shining with unshed tears. As she walked down the hallway, her books cradled to her chest, she could hear the whispers and jaunts that were aimed at her. This was her second day back and she just wanted to run away.

“Freak!” a girl hissed at her as her followers laughed right along with her, making her cheeks redden just a bit more.

Since her head was to the floor, she wasn't watching where she was going and made contact with a solid body. She stumbled backwards as her books tumbled to the ground, her books tumbled to the ground, pages of her notebook splitting from her books, tossed everywhere. A few kids chuckled at her, even call her a freak. She felt tears prick her green eyes. She batted her eyes with her long, black, lashes, blinking away the tears. She was very good at keeping her emotions at bay. She bent down and began scooping up the pages, stuffing them haphazardly back inside the black bag.

“I'm so sorry about that. I was in such a hurry I wasn't watching where I was going.”

She glanced up from the books to see a very tall boy kneeling down to her level. He had very dark blond hair that grazed just below his ears, flipping out a bit. His hazel eyes smiled at her as he helped her clean up the mess. She blushed and looked back down at the floor.”

“It's OK,” Her voice was low, her chestnut hair was a curtain around her face, blocking the blush.

The boy bent down and began picking up the papers, notcing some writing on them. He noticed it was a poem and he caught the first few lines. “Wow, this is pretty good. Did you write that?”

She tucked her curly hair behind her ears, not once making eye contact with him.”Yes.” She took her books from his hands and stood up. She noticed that when he stood up, he was very tall. “Thank you.”

He shifted his backpack as he extended his hand. “My name is Sam Winchester. This is my first day here.” He looked beind the pretty girl to see several kids standing around giggling. “This school doesn't look to bad.”

She shrugged. “Its OK.” She hugged her books to her chest as she realized the boy was looking at her, a smile on his face. “W..what?”

“I gave you my name, what's yours?” He kept his hand in hers as he slowly moved it up and down.

“S..Savannah.”

“Savannah?” The boy smiled at her as she finally took her hand out of his. “Nice to meet you.”

Savannah fell quiet as they walked to the class room. She felt shy around him, but she kept sneaking glances at him. He was pretty cute. His shaggy hair made him look very handsome and she couldn't get over his eyes. The ranged in color from green to brown and they seemed to shine when he laughed. The very idea that he was even around her, touched Savannah in more ways then she could even fathom. Not since her parents, had someone actually took the time out of there day and talk to her.

*********
Present Day

Sam took a sip of the bitter beverage and looked over the rim to see her sitting in the booth across from him, looking so small and vulnerable.

Sam sat across from her, studying her while he took a sip of his coffee. Time had been very good to her. Her chestnut hair was still curly, currently tamed into a pony tail. Her once boyish figure had know been replaced by soft curves that made his heart race just a little bit faster. Her blue eyes were focused on the parking lot and they were wide. The tip of her fingernail was placed in between her teeth, one arm wrapped around a knee that she hugged tightly to her chest.

“Annah...”She turned her head to look at Sam as he reached over and placed a hand on her arm. She looked down to his fingers rested below the white bandage that was wrapped around her forearm. She felt tears prick behind her eyes as she looked down at the long fingers.

Sam took his time in finding the words he wanted to say to her. After hanging up with Cas, he did what he did best. He researched and what he found out, troubled him. Something fishy was going on at Tulsa Regional Hospital.

“Tell me what's happening to you.”

Savannah shook her head and pushed a stray piece of hair from her face. She chanced another look out towards the parking lot and sure enough, those reapers were standing just near her Camaro. What started out as one, quickly grew into a dozen of them. They glided around the pavement as if they were searching for something. She could feel the fear that oozed underneath all that darkness. They were creatures of stealth and the fact that this human could sense them, made them nervous.

“No..you...you won't believe me.” She closed her eyes as she felt a tears slid down her cheek. Oh how she wished she had died in that wreck. That would have been so much better than dealing with this “Gift” all her life. Pffft, some gift.

“Savannah...off all people, I do believe you. I never told you what my father does...did.” Sam's forehead creased as her face turned to look at him, seeing the pity that was in them. “Why...why I left like I did.”His long fingers twitched near his coffee mug. They were wanting so badly to reach over that table and take her hand. But he resisted the urge.

Savannah held his gaze for a few seconds before she turned her attention back to the window. The reapers were gone. For now. “You didn't even say goodbye to me Sam.” She sniffed and flicked her eyes to him. She saw the compassion in his warm brown eyes, the crease in his forehead as his mouth turned into a frown. “I..I was crushed.”

Sam no longer fought the urge as he reached over to where her coffee cup was located. He wasn't sure how she would react when his large hand cupped her smaller one. Her finger had been taping out her anxiety and when she felt his hand cover hers, she turned to face him. Her full lips parted into a surprised O while she moved her eyes down to their hands.

“I wanted to say goodbye to you Annah, I did. But..but there wasn't time. My dad was in trouble and he had to leave.”

Savannah creased her forehead as she scoffed. “What? He knock over a bank or something?”

Sam took in a huge breath as he leaned back in the booth, the simple act caused his hand to leave hers and he suddenly wished for it back. Seeing her again brought back all the emotions he thought he had kept hidden inside of him. She was safety, she was comfort and she was what got him through the rough years with his dad. “There is a lot of stuff you don't know about me.”

Savannah snorted as she wrapped her hand around the white ceramic mug. She leaned forward,her blue eyes dark with her anger. “I don't know shit about you Sam. And what happened back in that garage proved it. Your lucky I didn't call the cops on your ass.” Her voice was low, her words clipped and harsh with her anger.

“I had to take precautions Savannah.”

“From what?” Her eyes moved back and forth as she watched his face. HE was hiding something. She could tell he was struggling with something he wanted to tell her. “Sam...what?”

Sam turned his head to see that the pretty little waitress had collected their orders from the cook and was coming towards their table. As he looked around the diner, he realized this was not the place to be having this type of discussion. “Not here.”

Savannah paused as the waitress sat her plate of food in front of her and waited while she did the same to Sam. Savannah found herself a little miffed at the smile the waitress gave Sam. She was even more bothered by the smirk he gave her and the way his eyebrows lifted up when he thanked her. “Dammit Sam.”

Sam picked up his fork and stabbed them into the greasy potatoes. “Not the kind of place to be having this conversation.” He gestured his head towards the bar. “Too many ears.” He motioned to her plate with his potato laden fork.. “Eat. OK? Then call me at this number.” He sat his fork down and slid his hands into the brown jacket he was wearing. His long fingers produced a card.

“Agent Perry?” Savannah scoffed as she read the card. “Sam? What is this?”

************

The loud sound of an engine woke him up with a snort. Dean sat up from the couch and ran a hand to the back of his neck and rubbed the soreness. He had stayed awake waiting for Savannah to come homer so he could ask her about the news clipping he he found. Something about it had triggered some kind of memory.

When he came to the tiny apartment that was over the garage, he lay down on the couch and closed his eyes. He trained his mind on the news clipping, feeling something tickling his mind. SO, instead of stopping it, he let it develop.

He jumped out of the passenger seat just as his father ran across the front of the car, his shadow cast on the road before them. He was in shock, not sure what to do. This wasn't normal for him. He heard his father shouting to him, so he followed his father's voice.

A tan and white Jeep Wagoner was flipped up on its side, the back tires still spinning. Smoke was pouring out of the engine and he noticed the back glass had exploded on impact. He carefully picked his way through the debris that had fallen out of the SUV as it flipped. His footsteps were light as his ears struggled to hear anything. HE wasn't sure if someone had been ejected, but something was telling him that it was a possibility.

He walked another 40 feet when a low moan came just a few more feet in front of him. He walked over to the massive oak tree, his eyes searching the ground.

“Hello?” He paused to listen for a reply. He was about to call out again, when he heard the moan coming to his right.

When he heard the slam of a car door, he looked down on his chest to see that very news clipping on his chest. He had thought he had imagined reading that article. So, he went back inside and grabbed it up under the jewelry box. He hadn't really thought this through. He had been snooping and that was evident by the piece in his hands. He quickly shoved it under the couch pillows and walked to the small window near the kitchen sink, sliding back the white curtain to find his view was of the back of the house. And that was not all his view consisted of.

Not only could he see her well cared for back yard, he also had a view of the upstairs bathroom. To his horror (or excitement, he wasn't really sure), he saw that she walked inside the room, closed the door and proceeded to take off her blue scrub shirt.

Her body was towards the window, so as the shirt came up, he got a good look of her upper body. And what a body it was. Tight abs with a glint of a ring in her belly button, nice large hips and a nice pair of matching breasts.

Dean let out a groan as he watched the shirt rise off her body and toss onto the floor. She took her hair, twisted it around and placed it on top of her head.

Much to his disappointment, she turned from him. Right away he noticed the two huge raven black wings that were etched into her skin. The top of the wings started at the back of her neck. They ended at the curve where her lower back and that tight ass began. He felt his jeans tighten just a little bit more as he gazed upon her.

He was thinking about all the things he could do with that tattoo, when it suddenly dawned on him. She was watching him watch her. His hand was clutching the white drapes tightly in his right hand, his breath hitched in his throat as he felt the heat crawl along his face. Frozen. Busted.

She was still facing away from him, but her head was turned to look behind her and out the window. The stove light in the apartment was on and he knew he was spotted. Her eyes were locked on his and he could of sworn he saw her smirk at him.