Sons of Gotham

We always start with good intentions

“You’re not going!” My brother Patrick announces after I tell him I got a job at Gotham City Police Department. “I forbid you to go!”

“Remember the last time you forbad me to go anywhere?” I ask him, smirking a bit. “I ended up going to Quantico. You should know better than to forbid me to do something.”

“Moving to Gotham is different than becoming a FBI agent,” he reasons. “Gotham is nothing but violence and corruption. That’s the place where good cops go to die. You’re too good of a person to go there. You’ll either die from the violence or live long enough to see yourself become one of corrupted.”

“I’ll be fine, Pat.” I assure him. “My big brothers taught me everything I need to know to survive in the big bad world.” My cooing is enough to make Patrick glare at me. “Besides Motley, Crue and Chevy will protect me. Right guys?” I turn to my three cats that are sitting in the window. The boys, Motley and Crue, look up at me with disinterest while Chevy looks up at me with wide eyes.

“Motley is afraid of everyone and Crue will actually go up to the criminals and roll over so they’ll pet his belly.” He rolls his eyes. “And Chevy is the furthest thing from being ferocious.”

“Will you stop worrying about me?” I plea with him. “I’m going to Gotham with or without your blessing. You ask me to leave the FBI and I did. And being a profiler for the NYPD isn’t as fun as you think. I need to get away; I’m sick of living in your and Mike’s shadows. I need to make a name for myself.”

“Going to Gotham is suicide, Annie.” He sighs. “Please just stay here? Stay where I can protect you. Mom and Dad wouldn’t want you to go.”

“Don’t use Mom and Dad’s death to keep me here Patrick Anthony.” I hiss at him. “I’m going. I need to do this. This is what’s going to set me apart from other Profilers. Gotham is what my career needs…”

**

“Don’t let Pat get you down,” my best friend, only friend actually, Allison states as I help her pack up her apartment for our big move to Gotham. “He has always been overprotective of you. He feels like he has to keep a promise to your parents to protect you.”

“It’s gotten to be too much,” I admit to her. “He doesn’t want me to follow my heart and become something more than just the criminal profiler who’s two brothers work for the NYPD too.”

“Look he freaked out when you entered the police academy right out of college; he freaked out when you went to Quantico. It’s his job to freak out. He’s closer to you than Mike and Bryan. He feels like you need more protection. He doesn’t realize that you can handle yourself. That’s because he will always see you as the baby. Despite the fact you can probably kill someone with a pen.”

“What kind of training do you think we had at Quantico?” I chuckle, throwing a throw pillow at her. “I just wish, for once, he’ll let me live my life without having to worry about disappointing him.”

“You’re not disappointing him, Annie.” She reassures me. “He just refuses to see you all grown up and moving away from him.”

“I just hope he doesn’t do something stupid like move to Gotham with me,” I let out a chuckle. “I might never forgive him if he does.”

**

“So Patrick told me you’re moving to Gotham,” Mike casually mentions as I help him clean up after dinner at his place while his wife puts my niece and nephew to bed. “When were you going to tell me?”

“I planned on telling you when Bryan got back in,” I tell him. “Please don’t give me the song and dance about how Gotham is suicide and blah blah blah. Patrick already beat you to it.”

“No, I’m not going to talk you out of it.” Mike assures me. “I was going to tell you that I’m proud of you. I’m glad you’re finally doing something for yourself. I haven’t seen you this happy since the day before you left for training. Patrick just needs to see you as the woman you’ve become.”

“He used Mom and Dad’s death against me,” I inform him. “That was a low blow, Mike. Why would he do that?”

“He figures it would keep you here.” He shrugs as he puts the last dish in the dishwasher. “Mom and Dad would have wanted you to go; no matter what.”

“What do you think Bryan will say?” I ask him.

“He would tell you to follow your heart.” He smiles. “Go make a difference in Gotham. Help make Gotham a better place…”
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?

Next chapter will happen in Gotham.