Sons of Gotham

There's nothing left to salvage, no-one left to blame

Dick Grayson

I walk past Annie’s office and see her nose buried in some case file while a rock cover of Poker Face plays softly in the background. Her head subconsciously bangs to the music as she chews on a pen; thinking about whatever cold case they are having her work on instead of an actual case.

“If I was her, I’d kick your ass for stalking me.” A female voice says behind me. I turn around and see my brother’s best friend, Eva, standing there with a coffee and a brown paper bag; most likely with a hoagie in it. “I decided to be nice and bring you lunch.”

“You only “decide to be nice” when he does something wrong.” I point out as I take the coffee and bag before heading to my desk with her right behind me.

“Dick, you know as well as I do, there is no controlling him.” She states, sighing. “Jay is going to do whatever he wants, not matter the consequence.”

“What’s he gotten himself into now?” I ask, sighing. “Do I even wanna know?”

“Jason didn’t go into detail but it’s most likely Black Mask related.” Eva informs me, quietly. “You’ll found out soon enough.”

“That’s what I’m worried about.”

“Afraid the new girl is going to crack the case?” She questions. “Is she even that good of a profiler?”

“FBI trained,” I inform her, earning a groan. “Yea she’s good. There is a reason Gordon hired her on.”

“I’m sure Gordon isn’t going to put her on a case involving the major criminals in this city,” Eva assures me. “At least not yet. So relax, Jason is going to be fine. You really need to breath; don’t take everything so life or death…” She kisses my cheek before disappearing out of the precinct.

“Trouble in paradise?” A female voice behind me asks. I turn around and see Annie standing there, carrying a ton files back to the cold case room, I’m assuming. “Your girlfriend is cute and nice according to that brown paper bag.”

“Evie? My girlfriend?” I chuckle. “She’s my brother’s crazy best friend. She’s practically family. She is just trying make up for my brother’s most recent fuck up… I mean mess up. Pardon my language.”

“I’ve said worse,” she laughs. “Let me guess, your brother has a bad habit of messing up?”

“To put it lightly? Yea.” I sigh as she awkwardly move the files to her other arm. “And of course I have to be the typical older sibling that feels the need protect him.”

“Want some advice?” She asks. “Don’t protect him. I have three older brothers and I spent my life being protected. Let him make his mistakes; let him learn from it. That’s the only thing you can do. When you become overprotective, that’s when they do things out of spite. Like moving to Gotham and becoming part of the GCPD.”

“I kinda thought you were speaking from experience.” I chuckle. “I just hate seeing him get hurt you know?”

“Stop being a big brother and he’ll stop being reckless.” She shrugs. “Trust me. He’s probably doing this to piss you off.”

“You’re not wrong,” I laugh. “Will I see you at the gala tonight?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She smiles. “Well I’m going to go so you can enjoy your lunch. I’ll see you tonight, then?”

“See you tonight Novack.”

“See you Grayson.” She smiles before walking off towards the cold case room.

A sigh escapes my lips as I pull out my cell phone and call up my brother, despite the fact he probably doesn’t want to hear me out. But before I could even dial the number, a news bulletin comes across our TVs, showing a shootout between Black Mask’s men and my brother and his gang of outlaws. My hands turn into fits as the news reporter goes on and on about the Red Hood.

“Wow, isn’t this a nice Welcome to Gotham” I hear Annie say followed by a sarcastic chuckle. “I guess we’re not getting off early before the gala are we?”

“Not a chance.” I mutter before walking outside to call Bruce. He needs to hear about this...
♠ ♠ ♠
Annie

I don't want to be an adult anymore. I'm done with school and I start my internship tomorrow. So nervous. I'm hoping to try and update this and other stories Thursdays and Sundays. Those are my days off.