Sons of Gotham

The darker the night, the stronger the light is

My pen bounces against my desk to the beat of whatever song I’m playing softly in the background as I read yet another cold case file that landed on my desk. Part of me is wondering if I was hired for the cold case department or was I actually here to do profiling. Because it really feels like I’m just working cold cases at the moment. I haven’t seen much action since I’ve arrived. I was expecting a couple trip to Arkham by now; but nothing.

As the song I’m currently listening to fades into an annoying ad on Pandora, there is a knock on the door. I look up and see a familiar face from the night at the gala. The boy in the alleyway that called me doll face while telling me I’ll never make it in Gotham; Jason. I narrow my eyes at him as he walks into my office.

“Can I help you?” I ask, leaning back in my chair as he leans up against my door frame.

“Actually yea,” He replies. “I’m looking for someone; my brother to be exact.”

“Does you brother have a name?” I roll my eyes. “I’m not exactly a mind reader here.”

“You can’t tell who I’m related to by just looking at me?” He questions. “I thought that is the sole purpose of a profiler.”

I just smirk at him before getting up out of my seat and get closer to him; close enough to smell the blend of cigarette smoke and leather. “You smell of cigarette smoke; it’s too heavy to be a social smoker but not heavy enough to be a two pack a day kind of smoker. The smirk on your lips tell me you find great joy in annoying the piss out of someone whether it be a stranger or someone familiar. The smirk also tells me you know exactly what my job entails but you just made a joke about it because you a grade A dick. So why don’t you just tell me your brother’s name so I can get back to work?”

He slow claps and the smirk on his lips only seems to grow. “Dick was right, you are good.”

Of course he’s related to Dick, I should have known. “Grayson’s in a meeting. You’re more than welcome to wait for him at his desk.”

“But it’ll be so much more fun to hang out with you.” He states at he sits down in one of the chairs I have in front of my desk. “Comfy. And there is no way you listen to Metallica, you look too much of a girl scout to listen to them.” He says just as One starts playing.

“I’ve actually seen them in concert.” I shrug. “But seriously can’t you wait for your brother elsewhere? Some of us actually have work to do.”

“Having fun with cold cases?” He questions. “It’s a shame that’s the only thing you’ve been working on. And that might be the only reason you were hired. Gordon has been getting shit about all the cold cases that keep piling up. He only calls them that because he can’t pin it on one person, or better yet, he can’t keep that person in prison or Arkham.”

“All these cases tie back to Joker, don’t they?”

“You’re smarter than I originally thought,” he chuckles. “You were hired to help take down the psycho clown as well as a few other big players in Gotham. That’s what Dick keeps saying anyway.”

“Batman was mentioned also.” I inform him. “Gordon asked me what I thought about him on my first day.”

“And what are your thoughts?” He seems genuinely curious. I close the door and move into my office more so only Jason can hear what I’m about to say.

“With a corrupt as hell police force, Batman might just be this city’s saving grace.” I reply. “What he’s doing is hell of a lot more than what most police officers and detectives do. Even the Red Hood isn’t as corrupt as some of the so called bad guys.”

He smirk reappears at the mention of Red Hood, “if you believe most of the people that work here are corrupt, why did you come here?”

“Thrill of a challenge,” I shrug with a smirk of my own appearing on my lips. “That’s why I don’t care about working on only cold cases. It just gives me time to read people, to learn their motives and how their minds work and who they work for.”

“And what are you going to do with the information you gain?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Jason is about to make a comment when there is a knock on the door. Both of us turn and see Dick coming into my office. “Your brother was just keeping me company, he was looking for you.” I information Dick before walking back to my chair.

“Sorry about him, he won’t bother you again.” Dick apologizes to me before looking at Jason. “Coming Jason?”

“Coming darling brother.” Jason rolls his eyes at his brother before looking back at me, “We’ll have to do this again sometime.” He gives me a smile before walking out of the office with his brother right behind him.

**
Jason Todd

“Did you seriously just bother the one girl that is between you not getting caught and a couple life times in prison?” Dick questions me in a harsh whisper as we get back to his desk. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“I just had to meet the girl you can’t keep talking about.” I smirk. “She’s cool, you should bring her to a family dinner. I’d love to hear what she thinks about Bruce, Tim and the demon spawn. Alfred would simply love her!” Dick just glares at me and I stop making fun of him. “Seriously though, she’s not what I expected her to be. She’s too pure for this city.”

“Maybe that’s what we need, she could be our true white knight.”

“We both remember what happened to our last white knight, you really want that for her?” I question him. “We both know what happened to Dent. It’s bad enough that she has the office he once had.”

“She’s not Dent.”

“Dent is proof that the people you think are incorruptible can be corrupted.” I remind him.

“She’s not Dent.” He repeats himself.

“Let’s just pray your girlfriend remains the one good thing about this city,”

“Since when do you care?” He looks me up and down. “You literally met her five seconds ago, why do you care about what happens to her?”

“You can’t tell me you aren’t worried about her.”

“I worry about everyone,” he scoffs. “But you, Jason, only care about yourself and Evie. Why do you care suddenly about a person you don’t even know?”

“I care about what happens to the people in this city, believe it or not.” I snap. “Just because I’m not like you and Bruce, doesn’t mean a damn thing.” With that I storm out of the precinct ignoring Dick calling my name...
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe? It's like been a year since I've worked on this story!